OC effect on CC?

OC effect on CC?

This is a discussion on OC effect on CC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live and work in 2 small communities. If I chose to OC in either of them, I would feel like the word would pass ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: OC effect on CC?

OC effect on CC?

I live and work in 2 small communities. If I chose to OC in either of them, I would feel like the word would pass quickly that I carry. So, when I choose to CC, most people I run into daily would know or assume I am carrying.

That being said, I guess I don't completely understand why I would choose to OC over CC since I have the legal right to carry concealed.

What are your thoughts? I value them all.

Thanx,
    Recon1342, DrDP6 and BurgerBoy like this.

Same as baked to a delicate crunch or fried to a crispy crunch.

Read the forum a bit and you'll see that the OC/CC debate goes on continuously here.

You may make a lot of "assumptions" but in the real world, you'd be surprised at how few people will notice an open carried firearm as long as you act normal and not in a boastful or show off way.

Threads like this rarely last due to the strong opinions of those posting getting a bit warm.

Good luck and carry which ever way you feel most comfortable if both are legal.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I never understood why people worry about this type of thing. What you do within the law is your business. Carrying a firearm should be no different.

I OC most is the time.

If someone has a problem with that, that's their problem, not mine. ;)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

Carry however you feel best doing so. Where it gets sticky is when a few think they need to tell everyone else if they should OC or CC.

Either is fine and neither will lead to certain death making you a target or hurting anyone . Now let the games begin
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

There are arguments for both. OC has the advantage of allowing a faster draw and allowing the carry of pretty much any handgun, big or small. Some argue that it provides an early deterence effect. CC provides an element of surprise, and avoids drawing attention from BG's in some situations. And of course, is more discreet, socially.

My feeling is, I like having the option, but I'll stick with cc. I'd love it if EVERYBODY OC'ed a handgun all the time, but that's not the way it is, so I prefer not to draw attention to myself. It's a personal choice.
    Recon1342, DrDP6 and redmc like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Yep, it's a personal choice. And if I had my choice there would be a moratorium on MORE OC vs. CC threads...........too many already.

Sorry if I sound grouchy - it's been a long day for this old lady.
    Recon1342 and BigCityChief like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    CC provides an element of surprise, and avoids drawing attention from BG's in some situations.
    I keep hearing that, but is there any actual data showing this to be true? Or is it a meme, we believe it to be true only because we keep hearing people say it's true?
    Recon1342 and DrDP6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Yep, it's a personal choice. And if I had my choice there would be a moratorium on MORE OC vs. CC threads...........too many already.

Sorry if I sound grouchy - it's been a long day for this old lady.
    Understandable. Hey, it hasn't gone downhill yet...

To the original poster: just FYI, this subject gets pretty contentious. Some people are very sensitive to what they perceive as criticism in the CC vs OC debate, and as has been noted, it can get heated. Sorry if we're a bit reluctant to dive in to a discussion. You ask a valid question, but it's almost like discussing religion. Strange, I know.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    I keep hearing that, but is there any actual data showing this to be true? Or is it a meme, we believe it to be true only because we keep hearing people say it's true?
    I notice you don't ask for data supporting my comment that OC allows a faster draw. There's no data to support either OC or CC, and if there were, the "losing" side would find some reason not to accept it. It's all anecdotes, arguments and theory. Believe what you want.

I often recommend the "Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry," and it contains a very good overview of this topic, from someone who knows a lot more about it than me.
    Recon1342 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I don't think there is data. I don't think a person robbing a place is looking for someone that is OCing. They typically got for the employees and for the most part ignore the people there. The person wouldn't be robbing the place if they expected someone to have a firearm. So I really doubt that in most cases the robber will notice an OC over a CC.
    Recon1342 and BurgerBoy like this.

Summertime carry for me is a Glock 21 OWB in shorts and a t shirt. OC all the way... And you'd be astonished at how many people fail to notice the big black lump on my belt... But if I feel like it, I throw on a button down s/s shirt, and I've got a concealed weapon. YMMV.

Oh yeah- IBTL!
    BurgerBoy likes this.

I notice you don't ask for data supporting my comment that OC allows a faster draw.
    Because I don't care.

There's no data to support either OC or CC, and if there were, the "losing" side would find some reason not to accept it. It's all anecdotes, arguments and theory. Believe what you want.
    If that's true, then why state it as a fact? I'm interested in learning what is actually true. This is not religion, I refuse to 'believe' either. I want to know.

MEme thinks sometimes when you appear armed and well prepared it can at least discourage casual predators. In the late 70's I had to move thru some areas of DC where even cops came only in large groups(or so I was told). I couldn't legal carry -so I just made sure to LOOL like I was loaded for bear and just didn't care . Kinda overdone contractor / operator look with a nice photo-safari vest . Just strolled on by . Nobody ever bothered me and I even got some nods along with perplexed eyeballing . Not recommending because I coulda got shot but a least I didn't get mugged !

An' data duh real ting .

I cc to avoid scaring the general public. I have nothing against OC, but it isnt for me. If the public were not so easily scared I doubt i would change my way.

I want the element of surprise and the ability to not have to deal with a situation if i decide to stay my hand rather than the potential of a BG singling me out since i carry. It is a personal decision. I have no guarantee that I will be singled out if OC, but I would rather play safe than sorry.

The potential for a MWAG call is more likely if they can see your firearm than not. Silly that people are terrified of a gun but not a car which can easily kill more people at a time... You never hear a MWAC call go out.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    OP, in a state where it is legal it is a personal choice. I OC all the time here in VA. Have been for almost 15 years, no one pays any attention to it. I'm not talking a rural location either, I'm talking state capitol. The thing is don't be walking around looking nervous, fiddling with your gun. Be confident (not cocky) and go about your business.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links