How do we get Society on Board - Realistically

This is a discussion on How do we get Society on Board - Realistically within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This would have gone in a "general carry" board, if there was one on here. This is a question that I have had for a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: How do we get Society on Board - Realistically

How do we get Society on Board - Realistically

This would have gone in a "general carry" board, if there was one on here.

This is a question that I have had for a while, and the AR-15 OC thread has made me wonder, what you think a realistic, feasible solution is to showing the undecideds and antis who can be converted to supporting carry that we can carry guns responsibly in public without inciting violence or accidentally shooting someone?

Some say OC polarizes and marginalizes people. Others say is helps people see that firearms are being carried and carried without anything bad happening.

So, to those who say OC is harmful to the cause, how do people know that guns are carried responsibly if no one ever sees it and generally never hears about it except in a negative light in the MSM?

Those who say OC is the answer, if a sizeable portion of a pro-gun forum dedicated to the carry of firearms has an unfavorable opinion of OC, how do you think those who actually notice view someone with a gun, and is it helpful to expanding our rights and showing carry in a favorable light?

I feel like even in this community, we debate types of carry and its supposed effects. I am a bit tired of going round and round on the problem. I want to hear real solutions.
    stylus and gatorbait51 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

Well, there's always going to be a certain percentage of people that are against guns in any way, shape, or form and no amount of seeing them will cure it. As a matter of fact, for those rabid folks, it just makes their rabidness against it even more so. It then gives them a soap box to stand on and something for them to point their finger at.

So, it won't change the hard core antis, and gives them a platform to persuade fence sitters. It won't change the pro gun folks who already are for gun rights, and then there's a certain amount of people who just don't care much either way.

So, the only people possibly impacted are the fence sitters, and quite honestly if their persuasion was split 50/50 as a result of the debate it stirred then we're right back where we started.
    gatorbait51 and Kavalander like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    There will always be people who don't think you don't even have the right to keep guns in your home, much less OC. When I was in Tennessee where OC was legal, I had people come up to me and say "you've got a gun"! I don't think ignorance will be cured any more than hatred will be. They seem to think of us returning to the wild west, and the TV shows that depicted a showdown every day at 12 noon even though that only happened in Hollywood.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    There will always be people who don't think you don't even have the right to keep guns in your home, much less OC. When I was in Tennessee where OC was legal, I had people come up to me and say "you've got a gun"! I don't think ignorance will be cured any more than hatred will be. They seem to think of us returning to the wild west, and the TV shows that depicted a showdown every day at 12 noon even though that only happened in Hollywood.
    You are absolutely correct. We were at my inlaws for Christmas and my wife's aunt, who thinks hunting is fine for me to do, is completely against semi-auto rifles and handguns. When I brought up the issue of concealed carry, she went crazy and told me that if that happened, it would be like the wild west. I cant even breach the subject of AR15s. The people who are closed minded won't even entertain the issue.

A good PR campaign that shows how people from all walks of life own and carry guns out of love for their life and that of their family. Not out of paranoia, hate, or ignorance. Not just old fat white guys. And not just excessively groomed, obvious figureheads.

That'd be a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ccw9mm and miller_man like this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Causing fear is the way to get the people on the fence to the wrong side of the fence. If they are not a gun person, they don't understand what an AR or AK is, so carrying them trying to convince people that we are not crazy is not really a good plan. I think if you want to get them use to firearms, CC handguns only.

The other thing is get to the kids. Get rifle club in all schools, same with a pistol team (even if it is airsoft). Start treating firearms like other sports, get sponsors. Teach the kids that firearms are not the problems and we will eventually solve the problem.
    NightOwl76, phreddy and tacman605 like this.

VIP Member
    No, there is no way. It will just make waves and make people upset if people attempt to push the "agenda."

Like gay marriage. No way will any state ever pass laws allowing it, so it's pointless to push for it, because it will only offend people and make enemies of the cause.

Just listen to all the naysayers on both sides and agree with them.
    Stoveman likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I helped my sister and another girl she works with a couple of years ago,learn the basics of gun safety and shooting..They both wanted to take the CCW class..If someone asks or wants help i would do my best.That being said,if i feel they don't like guns,i'm not going to try and convince them they should.That's a personal choice and i don't stick my nose into other people's personal business.

.I have a close friend who doesn't like guns and that's how they feel. It doesn't bother me one bit. I don't bring it up and i'm not losing a true friend,simply because they don't like firearms.

So far as OCing,we don't have it in my state..If i saw someone OCing,it doesn't bother me. It's something i wouldn't ever try to help get passed,but i wouldn't do anything to try and stop it from passing either. Each to their own,but it's not my thing.

If I see a guy carrying an AR strapped to his back in the mall, I'll stay away from him and keep my strong hand ready to draw, just in case. See, l don't know this guy so I don't trust him. On the other hand, I can spend hours at the food court talking to a guy carrying two 1911's and ten mags concealed and it wouldn't be a problem. As I see it, OC is not doing a job of creating a good image of gun carrying. Very discrete CC will have a very positive effect on people if they find out you where carrying all along and still are a nice guy. Gun carrying is not that bad after all mentality.
    FireNerd likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The only thing that will turn them is if evil comes knocking on their door, and the little light bulb over their head goes off and they say to themselves, gee, I wish I had gun.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

After so many hold ups and murders here in NJ over the Holidays, I read a few of the local threads and it seems the imbeciles here are more in fear of CC than of being robbed, raped and murdered.....there's no hope IMO for this wasteland called NJ.

When you say society, do you mean all of America???...to get on board???...not gonna happen, We as Americans can't decide on a damn thing lol, and to get all of society on the same page, is just impossible. Hell I don't always agree with open carrying a rifle and a camera down the street just to get attention of the cops so some jackass can put it on Youtube and yell about his 2A rights!! sooo i don't think it will ever happen, too many people have messed up the idea that any OC practice is safe. That's just my opinion it's not a fact.
    tacman605 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    When I was in Tennessee where OC was legal, I had people come up to me and say "you've got a gun"!
    Isn't it odd that people who seem so afraid of guns, and the people who have them, will walk up to perfect strangers and say " You've got a gun!"

If I was in their shoes, I'd run the other way instead of approaching them. No telling what that crazed lunatic with a gun would do if I try to interact with them. Heck, that gun could go off at any time all by itself!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Stoveman likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    The best way to get Society on board with our self defense philosophies is to invite them into our communities. We are not the purveyors of death that they think we are.

We Are the Normal

Human Consciousness gives value because it is consciousness, not because it is human.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links