First time OC tonight. One person offended

This is a discussion on First time OC tonight. One person offended within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife and I headed out for dinner at Cracker Barrel and then shopping at Walmart tonight. I didn't feel like a cover shirt tonight, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: First time OC tonight. One person offended

Distinguished Member

The wife and I headed out for dinner at Cracker Barrel and then shopping at Walmart tonight. I didn't feel like a cover shirt tonight, so I left the house with my Sig IWB at 4:00 and only a jacket for outside use. When we were seated, I didn't hear any gasps or screams, so all was well in my book. About halfway through dinner, my wife noticed I wasn't concealed. She asked me if I realized I hadn't covered my gun before we left, which of course I did. She didn't say anything else until we walked to the counter to pay. She said the whole room was watching me, especially when I got up and put my jacket back on. I didn't notice myself, but I wasn't worried about it enough to care. She said she was nervous because so many people were looking. I explained that I wasn't breaking the law, and she had no reason to worry. We were seated by the manager, and he either didn't notice or didn't care.

When we got to Walmart I pulled my jacket off and laid it in the cart. She thought we were being stared at the whole time. I didn't notice anything unusual. Even ran into an old friend who would not have known I had started carrying. We stood and talked for a while, and he never flinched or mentioned it.

Being my first time OC, I thought I would be the nervous one. Turns out the wife is one who needs some desensitizing. Went smoothly enough I'll likely do it more often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Congratulations! My wife won't go anywhere with my if I OC. I've found most people don't notice, and those who do really don't seem to care.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I don't make a habit of it, but when I have carried openly on occasion (like a supermarket stop on the way home from a match), I have never been aware of anyone reacting, much less reacting negatively.

Don't be too hard on your wife; she's a second set of eyes and ears for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The people in the restaurant weren't looking at your gun, they were checking YOU out. :)

Good deal!!! no drama!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingWalleye View Post
    The people in the restaurant weren't looking at your gun, they were checking YOU out. :)
    Bet that's the real reason she was nervous!

Actually, I do appreciate that she was on the look out. Her SA is pretty lacking sometimes, tonight it was jacked through the roof. A few more outings like that and it will be better tuned. I try to drop SA tips when hey relate to the current situation.

Tomorrow we go shopping for a new gun for her, a step up from her SR 22. She want to get this one and train so she can be confident enough to carry herself. I'm lucky to have one who wants to be a part of the solution. A lot of guys on here talk about their wives being full on against it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    I can say i have never been approached or no comments in the public . But on my own business property i have had a couple comments .

My first time open carry i was very nervous it was in northern VA .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

My only worry about OC is that there are so many more laws about it. I wouldn't care if people stare I just wouldn't want to pass a no gun sign on accident have an angry store owner charge me with trespassing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Next time you take her out, you might try wearing mis-matched socks and leaving your fly open. It will get her mind off your gun.

VIP Member
    Give her time and she'll realize that there is no floating neon sign above your head that advertises that you are carrying.

Good on ya!

Your in Ky after all. OC has been constitutionally protected here as long as we have been a state. Long before CC was even considered as anything but a person up to no good trying to hide their gun. Carry on
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Next time you take her out, you might try wearing mis-matched socks and leaving your fly open. It will get her mind off your gun.
    what? isn't that normal for us guys anyway? just tell your wife that they were looking at her because she is a hottie and not at you because you were OC. SCORE AND SCORE AGAIN.
    Aceoky likes this.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Good for you. And lol, seems like she got a first hand experience to what it feels like your first time carrying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    Being my first time OC, I thought I would be the nervous one. Turns out the wife is one who needs some desensitizing. Went smoothly enough I'll likely do it more often.
    Might try long walks in the park, down the walking/bike trails near town, and other similar places somewhat out of "screaming" distance from others. She might begin to get the idea it's not offensive to the vast majority out there, hardly even visible to most of them who would be offended, and that it's a nice thing to have along when in such places ... visibly carried or not.

Welcome to the strange, wonderful world of unencumbered carry. Be sure to think through and train for situations involving proximity challenges, retention, things of particular importance when one's sidearm is within grabbing reach of someone trailing you or approaching.
    Ianthin, Recon1342 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I OC'd while visiting GA. this past Oct. No one even flinched. 1st OC for me, living in FL I'm always CC.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six
    Ruger Speed Six

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links