Christmas carry almost a nightmare!

This is a discussion on Christmas carry almost a nightmare! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been lurking around here a while and thought I'd share my first interesting carry experience. Christmas morning I went out to breakfast with my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Christmas carry almost a nightmare!

Christmas carry almost a nightmare!

I've been lurking around here a while and thought I'd share my first interesting carry experience.

Christmas morning I went out to breakfast with my family. I was discreetly carrying, IWB at 4 o'clock. As we were standing around waiting for a table, a stranger, a grandmotherly type old lady, walks up to our group to talk to us. In a somewhat too familiar gesture, she puts her left hand on my right hip (4 o'clock exactly) as she starts talking to my FIL about how funny his t-shirt is. As her hand is touching nothing but the grip of my Glock 26, I fully expect her to freak out and yell, "He's got a gun! He's gonna kill us all!!!" But completely oblivious to what she is actually touching, she keeps right on talking and leaves her hand right on my Glock. Not wanting to look like anything is wrong, I calmly reached back with my right hand, took her gently by the wrist, pulled her hand off the gun, and held her hand in my two hands in a gesture that said, "Golly, you're a sweet old lady; I sure wish you were my grandma." Crisis averted.

I'm not sure what to take away from this, other than to try to be more situationally aware so as to prevent that hand from getting there in the first place. But who expects a complete stranger to approach you and put her hand on your hip? Anyways, just thought I'd share.

2. Remove Ads

If your legal there is nothing to be worried about.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Maybe she wasn't oblivious. Maybe her old lady gang made you and they pulled the old "Pretend to accidentally touch his gun and see if you can get him to freak out" trick.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

She probably didn't have a clue, or didn't mind. You did well, probably much better than I would have done. I have issues with anyone invading my personal space.

Some of those sweet old grandmas have a lot more worldliness and good sense than we generally give them credit for. You might just have run into one! (One who is old enough to know what California was like before Sacramento was overrun with idiots.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Maybe while you were distracted with her hand on your hip, her other hand was picking your pockets.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Just be thankful you didn't experience this Touchy Granny episode while packin'...Thunderwear!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. Not usually complete strangers, but friends, family members, acquaintances, neighbors. It seems wherever there are ladies over 60 there's someone that's going to put a hand on your gun.

Never once has anyone figured out what they were touching (or at least none said anything). Cell phones really are the best thing to ever happen to concealed carriers. Everyone assumes that hard plastic/metal thing on your hip is the newest gigantor smart phone.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Don't tell me no lies and keep you hands to yourself" might have worked.
    darbo, Gearhead and Nowell like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My granddaughter keeps bumping her head on mine if she runs up to me and I don't put my arms out in time. She just says ouch papa. Never asks what it is.
    Criminals don't register guns.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six

Distinguished Member
    I think you handled the sit, quite nicely. Her touching you was most likely just a grandmotherly gesture as you surmised. I don't think we need to read anything more into it. Different person, younger age perhaps, might have been a whole other agenda. Glad all turned out well.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    If your legal there is nothing to be worried about.
    True in most cases, however, the OP does live in CA, and being legal does not always matter. I remember a post here a while ago where the OP informed an officer he was carrying (after a car accident) and the officer freaked, disarmed him, and called the guy's sheriff trying to get his permit revoked.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Are you sure you weren't appendix carrying?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I took a friend on a motorcycle ride one time with my FNX-9 on my right hip. She was touching it the whole time. I asked if she knew it was there out of curiosity, and she had no clue.

Oops, I just noticed I posted this in the open carry section. I was carrying concealed. Sorry for the mistake and any confusion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links