Does holster type effect public perception ?

This is a discussion on Does holster type effect public perception ? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went to the grocery store in the midst of this wonderful snow storm we are calling winter here in Indiana, and O observed ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Does holster type effect public perception ?

So I went to the grocery store in the midst of this wonderful snow storm we are calling winter here in Indiana, and O observed a fellow OC'ing a sig of some fashion. NO big deal, perfectly legal. No one even seemed to notice, and if they did, they did not care. I took the opportunity to observe the gentleman while he pushed his cart, and I wondered how the holsters we choose may effect the perception of the people we encounter. This gentleman was dressed in jeans, a nice polo, winter boots..... just an everyday guy. His holster was an all Kydex OWb, one of the square ones with the cut corners that it seems everyone and their brother is making these days. Nothing fancy, but efficient.

So my question to everyone is, would the general public veiw this guy any different if he had been wearing a nice leather holster? Does the Tactical kydex look cause undue fear, if it is even noticed ?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    So I went to the grocery store in the midst of this wonderful snow storm we are calling winter here in Indiana, and O observed a fellow OC'ing a sig of some fashion. NO big deal, perfectly legal. No one even seemed to notice, and if they did, they did not care. I took the opportunity to observe the gentleman while he pushed his cart, and I wondered how the holsters we choose may effect the perception of the people we encounter. This gentleman was dressed in jeans, a nice polo, winter boots..... just an everyday guy. His holster was an all Kydex OWb, one of the square ones with the cut corners that it seems everyone and their brother is making these days. Nothing fancy, but efficient.

So my question to everyone is, would the general public veiw this guy any different if he had been wearing a nice leather holster? Does the Tactical kydex look cause undue fear, if it is even noticed ?
    I think the old saying about the dress making the man comes true .Imop a lot of people will see that and think oh he could be a cop etc or he looks like my banker not a threat. But if he was weraing pants low and a hoody well then people may be reaching for there phones. I always try to look like a non gang banger when I OC just sad but true I think .

I dont think holster matters ( unless it is a drop leg job with a desert eagle ) ..

VIP Member
    I wear kydex holsters because I don't know how to make leather ones. Nothing tactical about that.
    OldVet, Taurahe, Badey and 3 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The only relevant studies I'm aware of are not about holsters but about firearms, and they try to find out how the type of firearm affects jurors at a (mock) trial, not people at the grocery store. But the research is still interesting, so I thought I should mention it: Will It Hurt Me In Court? Weapons Issues and the Fears of the Legally Armed Citizen

My own (unfounded) guess is that non-gunowners are not aware of there being different kinds of holsters. In parts of the country where people are not used to see guns and are afraid of them, you will probably draw the least attention with a police-like gun and holster. These days, that means a polymer pistol and a kydex holster. But again, that's just conjecture.
    stylus, gatorbait51 and TN_Mike like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuva3rae View Post
    The only relevant studies I'm aware of are not about holsters but about firearms, and they try to find out how the type of firearm affects jurors at a (mock) trial, not people at the grocery store. But the research is still interesting, so I thought I should mention it: Will It Hurt Me In Court? Weapons Issues and the Fears of the Legally Armed Citizen

My own (unfounded) guess is that non-gunowners are not aware of there being different kinds of holsters. In parts of the country where people are not used to see guns and are afraid of them, you will probably draw the least attention with a police-like gun and holster. These days, that means a polymer pistol and a kydex holster. But again, that's just conjecture.

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    I think the old saying about the dress making the man comes true .Imop a lot of people will see that and think oh he could be a cop etc or he looks like my banker not a threat. But if he was weraing pants low and a hoody well then people may be reaching for there phones. I always try to look like a non gang banger when I OC just sad but true I think .

I dont think holster matters ( unless it is a drop leg job with a desert eagle ) ..
    Agree completely.
    molleur and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuva3rae View Post
    My (unfounded) guess is the same as yours. I suppose people realize that there are leather holsters and "other kinds" but if you are not a gun person a holster is just something to hold the gun at your side.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I carry my Desert Eagle 50AE either in a shoulder holster or an OWB holster with two spare magazines. Am I OK?
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

'Liked' because I also dress a touch classier than normal when I OC, and for the same reason: the dress makes the man.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Don't like kydex holsters. Always preferred leather. My most used OWB for any of my sidearms ( off duty) is a pancake with thumb break retention. It holds the gun close to body and doesn't draw much attention.

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I carry my Desert Eagle 50AE either in a shoulder holster or an OWB holster with two spare magazines. Am I OK?
    If it's the gold tiger striped one, then you may have an issue.

You also may be mistaken for a cartel "el jefe" or one of Saddam's sons who got away.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

When I OC, I use a Serpa, which wouldn't be out of place on a police belt. I'm also usually dressed somewhere in between business casual and a suit, so people probably assume I'm not just some guy.

I do think less of people that walk around with their gun sagging from their pants in a cheap nylon holster.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    If it's the gold tiger striped one, then you may have an issue.

You also may be mistaken for a cartel "el jefe" or one of Saddam's sons who got away.
    It is black with Grim Reaper grips. My every day carry is one of my 1911s in a D.M. Bullard Combat holster in Brown Tiger Shark leather.

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWarden View Post
    Don't like kydex holsters. Always preferred leather. My most used OWB for any of my sidearms ( off duty) is a pancake with thumb break retention. It holds the gun close to body and doesn't draw much attention.
    Same here too.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

The only holster that might give a bad perception is one that isn't secure or is obviously loose.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links