Legality of suing an anti over 911 harassment?

This is a discussion on Legality of suing an anti over 911 harassment? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard those 911 recordings where a soccer mom (who doesn't like guns) calls 911 on an open-carrier despite him doing nothing wrong. The police ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Legality of suing an anti over 911 harassment?

Question Legality of suing an anti over 911 harassment?

I've heard those 911 recordings where a soccer mom (who doesn't like guns) calls 911 on an open-carrier despite him doing nothing wrong. The police explain to them that open carrying is perfectly legal. Needless to say: it always ends up with the caller embellishing because they want police to check it out...they usually end up lying by saying that they think the person is doing something suspicious. The police then show up and waste his time questioning him (sometimes even detaining him and running the serial number on his weapon without his permission) and checking his permit. Can an open carrier sue those idiots for like defamation or something? Just wondering.

It's such BS that gun owners have to put up with that crap, and the idiots calling 911 never get punished for it. It just irks me.

Last edited by american23; January 9th, 2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Including video so people can see what I mean
    gatorbait51 and 357and40 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    All common sense is about gone today.

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    How so? It's a legitimate question. You'd think the people abusing 911 for their own personal vendetta against gun owners would be charged with misuse of 911 (because it's supposed to be for emergencies), it hasn't happed yet to my knowledge. I mean I can't call 911 to complain about McDonalds messing up my order and not giving me what I paid for, how's an anti using 911 to harass someone any different?

I just saw this video, and it got under my skin. Sorry, not trying to pick a fight or anything...I'm just curious how this lady wasn't charged with misuse of 911. It's blatant abuse of the system.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unless the same anti repeatedly calls 911 on the same OC'er, I serious doubt any lawsuit would make headway.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This gem as well.

Grand Rapids Open Carry 911 Call. Fair Enough? | The Truth About Guns
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I would prefer the Police since they are already there just arrest the prank caller for abuse of the 911 system, a trip to the jail just may change their attitude.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Unless the same anti repeatedly calls 911 on the same OC'er, I serious doubt any lawsuit would make headway.
    So there's no recourse for us?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just let them make themselves look stupid (er).
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I would prefer the Police since they are already there just arrest the prank caller for abuse of the 911 system, a trip to the jail just may change their attitude.
    I'd laugh (even though I don't think it would happen retroactively). If that ever happened to me...I'd tell the officer I wanted to file charges against the caller. I know a few people here have shared their horror stories about being stopped by police officers for a MWG (man with a gun) call.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Ok, bear with me for a moment as I run through a possible scenario. Get a friend to begin video as you get out of your car and strap on your weapon, then follow you around some anti gun establishment (on sidewalk, not their premises). Wait for cops, deal with LE politely. IF the caller accused you of doing something for which you have video evidence was an out and out lie then could they not then be charged with filing a false report. Someone with more legal experience help me out here. I'm not a big open carry guy. I like concealed but I am hearing more and more complaints about OC. I would like to see some publicity in the media that it is ok and legal (where ever it is legal of course) to carry. I think a lawsuit of this nature could do some good.

Make sure the video starts BEFORE you add weapon. If you know a reporter perhaps he/she can assist you in this "sting operation". Of course it could be a boring wait which is why I suggested doing it in front of some place with signs against weapons. You are more likely to get a response there. Kind of like a gag reflex.
    american23 and NONAME762 like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

LOL, "can somebody come make sure it's not loaded" ....
    american23 and Brent95 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    what is this i hear about "can't have a magazine in the gun"?

So you can OC in California... so long as it's not loaded? that just made my brain hurt....

...or you can have the ONE in the chamber? (doubt it)

...or you can only OC carry a loaded gun if it's a revolver? (huh?)

i think i am getting stupider just thinking baout this.
    american23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    what is this i hear about "can't have a magazine in the gun"?

So you can OC in California... so long as it's not loaded? that just made my brain hurt....

...or you can have the ONE in the chamber? (doubt it)

...or you can only OC carry a loaded gun if it's a revolver? (huh?)

i think i am getting stupider just thinking baout this.
    Don't try to understand California's gun laws. That way lies madness.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    A woman here was arrested for making a 911 call on a neighbor. During her call she made false statements about the incident. everything was of course recorded. When the police arrived and questioned her, the statement she told the police didn't jive with what was on the 911 recording. I don't remember what the incident was about. I don't think it was gun related but I think she said she was being threatened by the neighbor.

I also don't know what the final outcome was, but I do know that using 911 for non emergencies is frowned upon and if false, can be illegal.

Remember the incident in Madison WI where some guys were OCing at a fast food joint? A woman called 911. A couple of the guys were arrested. If I remember that one, the woman also exaggerated the incident. I don't think she was arrested but I know the OC guys got a lawyer and filed suit against the police chief. It became a pretty big deal. The woman caller was questioned more than once. I don't think she was expecting to be grilled as much as she later was. I think the case was eventually dropped but again, I don't really know what the final out come was in that case either.
    american23 and msgt/ret like this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links