First time OC

This is a discussion on First time OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just moved to Washington from California. Over the last 3 days I have been taking advantage of the states open carry policy. I haven't been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: First time OC

First time OC

Just moved to Washington from California. Over the last 3 days I have been taking advantage of the states open carry policy. I haven't been to Seattle or anywhere else that notable but I did spend some time around Marysville and Tacoma/Puyallup area, I did not receive any weird looks(that I caught) but I would say overall it's been a positive experience. Just thought this would be some good info to share.
    Badey, Anubis, Aceoky and 11 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good on ya!

Still working up the stones to OC here in Colorado
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

VIP Member
    Each to his own BUT I think it brings unwanted negative attention from people not used to seeing firearms.

p.s. THREE posts. Controversial topic. Just saying.
    DanielC likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I've thought about OC in our area for when I go to the grocery or other innocuous stuff like that, but the only OWB holster I have that really fits my Glocks is an offset and I don't want to be THAT obvious!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Each to his own BUT I think it brings unwanted negative attention from people not used to seeing firearms.
    I can see what you mean and somewhat agree. I don't think I would open carry everyday but a wise man once told me a right not exercised is a right forgotten. So why not stir the pot now that I have the ability to.

Good for you!

Just make sure you know the laws, and if I were you, I would carry a voice recorder (or use an app on your smart phone) for LEO encounters.
    Kavalander and WrongRecroom like this.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post

p.s. THREE posts. Controversial topic. Just saying.
    I open carry on a semi regular basis, never had any "unwanted negative attention", in fact somewhat the opposite, several smiles/good morning/afternoon/evenings/etc. The only comments i've ever had were from an out of state'er who didn't know OC was legal here.
    I find it's not the gun on your hip that 'freaks' people, its how you present yourself while carrying openly. If you're the 'Mall Ninja' type OC'ing it'll probably get you the 'unwanted attention', but if you're just going about your business and happen to have a gun on your belt, it gets little to no attention.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Heck you could have still OC in CA but only in a handfull of places plus people would have passed out on sight

But OC is nice .. My 2 cents are always this look an act nice not for your sake but for the image of OC as good people that could be in your chruch not the scary guy in the kill em all tee shirt OC a AR ...

In az pre cons carry days almost everone OC. I still see it a fair ammont here ..

But congrats I still think OC Owb is so much more comffy then IWB esp when it is 101 out ..

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Congrats. My time in Washington state made me love it. Most people don't care what others do and get in their business lime that. Hope it stays that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Aceoky likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Keep it up. A right not exercised is a right lost! It is important to OC regularly doing regular activities. I make it a goal to OC once a week. That's not always possible for me but I always do it at least a few times a month.
    stylus and Ghost1958 like this.
    Evil I!
    Wildhorse!
    Battle Born!

If its legal no reason not to, if its not work with your state legislatures until it is. I do both depending on what im doing not where, have for many many years and have the first issue to ever arise.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Fantastic! I OC frequently, and one of my SA building exercises is to try to count the people who are totally oblivious to the fact that I am carrying a gun. You'd be amazed...

Very cool. My state doesnt allow it, but even then, I dont think I am ever wearing the proper clothing to OC. I never wear tucked in shirts unless its to a formal or business thing, in which case, Id carry concealed anyway... So no matter what, Id still have a shirt draped down over my pistol.

VIP Member
    Don't let the nay say'ers put you off OC'ing. I've done it for over 10 years with a total of 1 negative comment. It is legal so exercise your right if you want.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links