OC long guns

This is a discussion on OC long guns within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seeing more an more pictures of people OCing ARs on Facebook. Planning on getting an AR this spring and living in Montana it is perfectly ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: OC long guns

OC long guns

Seeing more an more pictures of people OCing ARs on Facebook.
    Planning on getting an AR this spring and living in Montana it is perfectly legal to OC long guns.

What are the pros and cons?

I doubt I'd walk into a public store but walking around the neighborhood I could justify it.

I OC a handgun on occasion and did daily for a summer waiting on my CCW. Surprised how hoplophobic Montanans are! Can't see going into public with an AR and not getting a visit from SWAT!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It may be legal to openly carry a long gun - but you can expect someone to see you and get nervous and call the police with a MWAG alert. The police legally have to respond to these calls.

Officers can be less than understanding about your legality and innocence when they most probably get really sick and tired of having to follow through on calls like that when they could be doing real police work.

If you want to deal with the hassle............it's up to you.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

If its legal its legal. I guess its all in what state your in. OCing a long or handgun around here gets no MWAG no attention no nothing. Like I said if its legal its legal and if you want too go for it.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    It may be legal to openly carry a long gun - but you can expect someone to see you and get nervous and call the police with a MWAG alert. The police legally have to respond to these calls.

Officers can be less than understanding about your legality and innocence when they most probably get really sick and tired of having to follow through on calls like that when they could be doing real police work.

If you want to deal with the hassle............it's up to you.
    Granny agree with about everything you said as far as MWAG in some places. But one. LE, where OC is legal, absent the caller articulating anything else the carrier is doing other than legal OC do not legally have to respond to the call.

They do in tons of places, some because their dept simply dispatches them to everything. Some to avoid liability which they dont have as much as they claim they do for Legal OC calls, and some simply out of anti gun how dare anyone but a LEO do that mentality.

But absent any other suspicious activity being articulated by the MWAG caller that call ranks right up there with a caller saying there are vehicles riding along the interstate legally. LE do not have to respond to reports of citizens engaged in legal acts. But alas in some places they do with great enthusiasm.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Granny agree with about everything you said as far as MWAG in some places. But one. LE, where OC is legal, absent the caller articulating anything else the carrier is doing other than legal OC do not legally have to respond to the call.

They do in tons of places, some because their dept simply dispatches them to everything. Some to avoid liability which they dont have as much as they claim they do for Legal OC calls, and some simply out of anti gun how dare anyone but a LEO do that mentality.

But absent any other suspicious activity being articulated by the MWAG caller that call ranks right up there with a caller saying there are vehicles riding along the interstate legally. LE do not have to respond to reports of citizens engaged in legal acts. But alas in some places they do with great enthusiasm.
    Sorry - I was basing my comment on the many statements by LEO on the videos on you tube where officers were called out to respond to MWAG complaints.

My question - and I am guessing the question of the dispatcher who gets the call - would be how do you know for sure that this MWAG (or WWAG) is legal and has no ill intentions. When there seem to be more and more senseless shootings, I think it is a really tough judgement call - especially when you get into liability issues.

Perhaps you can tell from my responses that I personally am not in favor of people carrying long guns, particularly the AR-15 type that scare the bejeebers out of the sheeple, while strolling through a neighborhood or while shopping. I DO understand that there are states when young people can legally carry a long gun but cannot yet carry a handgun.

Oh gosh, I'm going to quit writing now. The whole thing really is so complex when you start to think about all of the issues involved and it's past my bedtime.
    USM1976 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Sorry - I was basing my comment on the many statements by LEO on the videos on you tube where officers were called out to respond to MWAG complaints.

My question - and I am guessing the question of the dispatcher who gets the call - would be how do you know for sure that this MWAG (or WWAG) is legal and has no ill intentions. When there seem to be more and more senseless shootings, I think it is a really tough judgement call - especially when you get into liability issues.

Perhaps you can tell from my responses that I personally am not in favor of people carrying long guns, particularly the AR-15 type that scare the bejeebers out of the sheeple, while strolling through a neighborhood or while shopping. I DO understand that there are states when young people can legally carry a long gun but cannot yet carry a handgun.

Oh gosh, I'm going to quit writing now. The whole thing really is so complex when you start to think about all of the issues involved and it's past my bedtime.
    LOL. There are several states where there is no permit to own gun or OC one. Even carry an ID if one is walking so there really is nothing for LEOs to check if they respond to a MWAG call that OC is the only reason the call was made. I guess if there was a permit required etc then there would be at least something to ask to see in some states.

As to knowing their intentions they dont until some illegal act is done. Of course LE running up and checking out a person legally OCing has no more idea of his / her intentions when he leaves the call then when he got there.

No working crystal balls yet that I know of that LE possess and its highly doubtful an ill intentioned OC person would tell LE their ill intentions yes?
    Nobody that has shot up anything that I know of were seen going to the site of the crime OCing their weapon. There may be one report someplace but ive never seen read of heard of one. Criminals and mass shooters dont OC to where they intend to do a crime or commit a mass shooting. If they did and LE stopped them on the way there they wouldnt tell LE that is what they were going to do anyway.
    1MoreGoodGuy, Aceoky and CIBMike like this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    First off let me state I am not opposed to OC (either handguns or long guns). That being said I think that the "context" of the OC has a lot to do with LEO's response. I think that common sense (which is not common these days) will serve most people who choose to OC. My issue with some who OC is they obviously don't think of weapon retention or SA. They have holsters w/ no strap or retention system. This is an open invite to real criminals who go for a gun grab particularly in areas that have gang bangers who practice this in our prison system.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    First off let me state I am not opposed to OC (either handguns or long guns). That being said I think that the "context" of the OC has a lot to do with LEO's response. I think that common sense (which is not common these days) will serve most people who choose to OC. My issue with some who OC is they obviously don't think of weapon retention or SA. They have holsters w/ no strap or retention system. This is an open invite to real criminals who go for a gun grab particularly in areas that have gang bangers who practice this in our prison system.

How do these gang bangers do that exactly?
    CIBMike likes this.

Takeem - out of curiosity, what tactical and/or defensive benefits do you see regarding OC of a long gun?
    kukla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeem406 View Post
    Planning on getting an AR this spring and living in Montana it is perfectly legal to OC long guns.

Surprised how hoplophobic Montanans are! Can't see going into public with an AR and not getting a visit from SWAT!

Being in fairly rural Montana, you've got an opportunity for a little experiment. Try visibly carrying an older lever-action rifle slung across the shoulders for a month, then compare that to carrying an "evil black rifle" (aka, an AR) similarly slung for a month. Go to all the same places, roughly at the same times for the same number of days. Just go about your normal and customary business that you'd be doing anyway, while carrying, little different as when you'd be openly carrying a sidearm.

About the one guaranteed result you would have, though, is being ensured of getting raked over the coals by those claiming you carried for no "real" purpose and instead just wanted to "make a statement."

Other risks, real or contrived, would come about from the straightforward sanity (or insanity) of those witnessing your presence.

If your statutes strongly support it, case law strongly supports it, and your county DA and sheriff aren't completely and abusively intolerant ... carry away.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My city has a population of about 850,000. Been here for 9 years. Haven't once seen a person carrying an AR-15 or any other type of long gun outside of the gun range. There are a lot of hunters here, so I'd expect to see people carrying guns out to their cars or trucks if they're going out shooting. But walking around the shopping mall? At the supermarket? No, that'd be really weird and unusual. Strange in the "never seen this before" kind of strange way. Probably would call it in if I saw it, because odds are this would be a psycho getting ready to commit mayhem.

Now, you live in some rural Kentucky community, maybe walking around with your AR is some kind of status thing, where you want to display your discretionary wealth to your neighbors. OK, that's probably normal and you can get away with it. Coolio. Sling your bling.

Here, carrying concealed is the norm and really this is all about social norms. Observe your community and what your local population does. If you do something out of the ordinary, you should expect an extraordinary response. That doesn't just go for firearms, it applies to things like walking into a convenience wearing a ski mask or such. Sure, totally legal, but it's going to freak people out and you should expect excitement and drama to follow.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    There is a huge difference between doing something that is legal and doing something that is wise. In my view a long gun is not a "defensive carry" firearm. It is not something you get off your back quickly to defend yourself against a typical threat. In fact when I am carrying a long gun for what ever reason I also has a sidearm, to protect that said long gun from anyone trying to take it.

The other issue is perception. A sidearm OC is just a person carrying to protect themselves, or many people if you are fairly well dressed with just view you as a detective or something like that. A OC of a long gun is often viewed as someone wanting to make a statement or crazy gun nut. The handgun carry is not going to get much response at all, the long gun is most likely going to get you a visit by the police.

VIP Member
    OutWest could not agree more.

First what is the reason you are doing it? Self protection or to make a statement and to be noticed?

For those that question how someone could grab an OC'ed weapon a handgun would be harder depending on the SA awareness of the person carrying it but a rifle slung across your back? As I said before a dyslexic 5 year old could take it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    There is a huge difference between doing something that is legal and doing something that is wise. In my view a long gun is not a "defensive carry" firearm.
    And herein lies one of the many problems concerning "gun control."

...something that is wise
    How easily the anti 2A groups insert the word "Reasonable" for wise.

So my question and opposition to your post stems from the question, "Where does it begin and where does it end?"
    Who decides what is reasonable or wise? This question often ends up in a court of law; oft times with a result, (right or wrong) that we gun owners
    completely disagree with. The judge ruled YES when "reasonable and wise" gun owners thought NO.

Right and wrong, fair and just concepts etc... are easily blurred by either side. Americans seek relief in the law to sharpen our vision in such questions and many yet remain unsatisfied for reasons I won't get into.

Pros & Cons of carrying a long gun?

One can make a case for both..and we do.

Because doing so may cause a "hassle" is hardly a reason NOT to do it IMO.

In the history of our country, many laws initially caused a "hassle" to those few who tested it...

I submit the American Revolution for your consideration!
    Though the King of England had no legal right to do what he did in the opinion of the new Americans; HE felt he had the legal right.
    So much so he sent his army to KILL people over a refusal to pay taxes!

Had not the new Americans "tested" the Kings unjust rule, well sir, I would probably not be here typing freely on my keyboard.

The New Americans fought and died against a law unjustly perpetrated on them.

Quite a "hassle"
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Is it your right? Yes.

Is it going to cause trouble? Depends on your location of the country.

OP it is your right to carry your AR, but for what reasons will you be doing so? Self defense? Cool factor? Stirring the pot?

In My Opinion, I would not do so, I do not think it is a good idea. If carried in a DEFENSIVE position you will be visited by police. Just my .02
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links