Accidental exposure of cc weapon...

This is a discussion on Accidental exposure of cc weapon... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can you get in trouble if this were to happen and someone called the police? Where is the line between cc and oc?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Accidental exposure of cc weapon...

Accidental exposure of cc weapon...

Can you get in trouble if this were to happen and someone called the police?

Where is the line between cc and oc?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Ever state is different some like FL and TX yes you can be in deep crude if your guns shows and you are not hunting etc.. But they are or have changed the laws now to say that accidentally expose is OK ..Ditto other no OC or limted OC state like CA ..

And also every state means diffetn things usally if some part of the gun is showing then you are OC usally the but or the such..

In az it does not matter I have bothed OC and CC and a line inbetwen thouse two where yes the gun could be seen if you look so by the law OC but it was concled
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    It depends on the laws you are going to be subject to at the time. Since every state or municipality can have different laws, there's no blanket answer to your question.

Generally open carry is a firearm that's openly carried. Concealed carry is a firearm that is carried concealed. The line, so to speak, is the ability to see the firearm without having to move or remove clothing for it to be visible.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

You would have to check the laws in your state. In Georgia if you are seen carrying concealed all the person of the place your are carrying in has to do is ask you to leave. If you don't and the police is call it is trespassing which is a misdemeanor.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Bear in mind, I am not a lawyer.

But, open carry, even without a license, is legal in Ohio. There are some caveats to that, so do your homework.

In some parts of the state you may get more attention than others.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    In your state OC is legal so I wouldn't sweat it.

I believe that in Ohio that gunbuster signs have the force of law, so this would be something to check if you are OC'ing before you head into any establishment other than your own....

Always check pertinent laws yourself, don't rely on the information of others.
    WrongRecroom and gatorbait51 like this.

I used to worry about this when I first started carrying, now it doesn't even cross my mind. As long as you are carrying where legal, in OH, you can open carry. So, accidental exposure is no big deal.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It depends on your state's law--Ohio. And no one got in "deep crude" in FL because of accidental exposure, but the risk of an anxious-to-move-up DA twisting the question of incidental exposure of CC into an OC violation was recognized and the law was changed to remove that problem.

Now, if you beat the Mega-Millions odds and were issued a NY permit and a gust of wind blew your jacket up momentarily, that would probably call for public execution on the spot if they could find one of their blue bloods who could hit something.
    gatorbait51 and Oldpsufan like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Static cling hit me once. Busy crowded restuarant. Took jacket off and cover shirt lifted up. No one noticed....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

VIP Member
    Yeah they say you should be fine in your state since you have Open carry but if you are in a certain city or county and the wrong person sees it. Could be a problem. I would not lose too much time thinking about it. Its not like you are brandishing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by TheBig3G View Post

it all depends on what state the accidental exposure happens in. as for what is OC and what is concealed, concealed means just that and carry a weapon that is even partially exposed could be considered to be OC.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And no one got in "deep crude" in FL because of accidental exposure,
    FWIW: prior to 2012 an accidental exposure in FLA could have landed you a felony OC charge
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 30th, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It depends on your state's law--Ohio. And no one got in "deep crude" in FL because of accidental exposure, but the risk of an anxious-to-move-up DA twisting the question of incidental exposure of CC into an OC violation was recognized and the law was changed to remove that problem.

Now, if you beat the Mega-Millions odds and were issued a NY permit and a gust of wind blew your jacket up momentarily, that would probably call for public execution on the spot if they could find one of their blue bloods who could hit something.
    No danger ,then ..
    lionround and OldVet like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by flaguns View Post
    FWIW: prior to 2012 an accidental exposure in FLA could have landed you a felony OC charge
    Negative. Charges are one thing (and a idiot DA could still do the same today despite the revised law), conviction is another. Even Jon Gutmacher says he knows of no such cases and that his opinion (which carries a lot of weight) is that it would not pass the due procedure test. Mere exposure is not "open carry." Do not let unsubstantiated fear become your reality.
    gatorbait51 and Bigmac31391 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBig3G View Post

If you are in a posted establishment when your gun is accidentally exposed, yes, you could definitely be in trouble.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links