Another Good OC Story

Another Good OC Story

This is a discussion on Another Good OC Story within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was on the way to the range for practice with a friend. I don't like wearing bulky jackets in the car. We stopped at a ...

Like Tree29Likes
  • 8 Post By RightsEroding
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By archer51
  • 2 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By OhioCatter
  • 7 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By Qtip
  • 2 Post By Stoveman

Thread: Another Good OC Story

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Another Good OC Story

Was on the way to the range for practice with a friend. I don't like wearing bulky jackets in the car.

We stopped at a convenience store for gas and coffee. We both walked in OC'ing and noticed (2) uniformed Sheriff's deputies simply
    chatting with the store owner and sipping coffee at the checkout.

They both noticed we were carrying; gave us a nod w/o a word and went on about their chatting and sipping coffee.

This of course is Indiana and living in a Pro 2A state is certainly advantageous.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I feel most LEOs (those militant communities excepted) would never imagine a BG walking into a business OC'ing and treat it as such.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Everyday occurrence here. About the biggest response I get from LEO is asking what I'm carrying and how I like it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As it should be.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    That's the way it should be everywhere.
    Ghost1958 and Addictedhealer like this.

Another Good OC Story

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Was on the way to the range for practice with a friend. I don't like wearing bulky jackets in the car.

We stopped at a convenience store for gas and coffee. We both walked in OC'ing and noticed (2) uniformed Sheriff's deputies simply
    chatting with the store owner and sipping coffee at the checkout.

They both noticed we were carrying; gave us a nod w/o a word and went on about their chatting and sipping coffee.

This of course is Indiana and living in a Pro 2A state is certainly advantageous.
    I live in Indiana as we'll and haven't oc yet. I do sometimes wear owb just let my shirt flow over it though. Mind telling the area this horrible altercation happened?

Carry on, and thanks for carrying.
    Last edited by Addictedhealer; January 28th, 2014 at 10:28 PM.

I love hearing about smart LEOs. Decades ago, I was FTO (building up my resume) and was out on patrol with a recruit... observing. He pulled over a newer Buick, that was weaving a bit... touching the fog lines to the left & right, occasionally (pretty weeny, but prob for my benefit). An elderly, x-small, blue-haired woman was driving alone.
    She opened the glove-box to get Ins/Reg papers and an old .38 J-frame slid out. This recruit Yelled "GUN!!" as loud as he could, drew his sidearm & held it to her head, while screaming commands with much profanity (she had already replaced it in the back of the glove-box & had her INS/Reg envelope in her hand).

I walked over and said, "Holster your weapon, Recruit"...he did so reluctantly. I asked the elderly woman for her CPL (knowing I was going to be confiscating her pistol).
    To my HUGE surprise, she handed it to me.
    She was trembling from the 'screaming gun to her head', but she apologized and meekly said, "I really am quite defenseless without my pistol."
    I apologized to the old woman, profusely and told her she was free to go, whenever she felt ready to drive.

I drove the recruit back to the post where I filed my incident report, recruit eval with charges of "Conduct Unbecoming...", "Assault", etc. immediately (orally) with the Capt and left to go and type them up. (I also asked dispatch to have someone check on the woman; she had left).
    That recruit never worked another day as an LEO, anywhere.

One of my most productive & memorable days in LE. (I sent the woman a letter of apology, on State letterhead the following day)
    Recon1342, redmc, TRX and 4 others like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

patri0t, I wish all LEO instructors would follow your example. We'd hear a lot fewer horror stories, and a lot more like the OP's.
    Recon1342 likes this.

Sounds like a good day all round.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

good job.

VIP Member
    Wait, wait, wait, where's the part of the OP's story where they were cuffed and stuffed by the cops or a BG grabbed their gun, or worse?

According to a lot on here that's all that ever happens when you OC.....

Good on ya, OP, keep it up.
    Zralou and WrongRecroom like this.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Wait, wait, wait, where's the part of the OP's story where they were cuffed and stuffed by the cops or a BG grabbed their gun, or worse?

According to a lot on here that's all that ever happens when you OC.....
    I get your tongue in cheek response; but please don't misunderstand. Most of the cuffed & stuffed stories seems to arise from idiots looking to be "in your face" with LE; maybe not all, but from what I've seen... most.

2) It was a convenience store, it was 10am, neither of us were trying to conceal our faces etc...

This was simply one of those times when OC was a matter of convenience. In a crowd situation, I seriously doubt I would OC; just can't see how the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Everyday occurrence here. About the biggest response I get from LEO is asking what I'm carrying and how I like it.
    Had that happen many times to myself as well as friends of mine.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    patri0t, I wish all LEO instructors would follow your example. We'd hear a lot fewer horror stories, and a lot more like the OP's.
    It will not happen in this lifetime. If anything, it will get worse.

Shreveport and New Orleans are both cities in Louisiana. Carry openly in New Orleans will likely get one arrested while in Shreveport, it will not even gather any attention. Have a gun in your car in New Orleans and you have just lost your gun to seizure unless you are a Democratic politician with lots of connections. Having a car without a gun in SHreveport will be looked upon in sympathy.

Police Departments act largely based on what they are exposed to in daily communications. Police in N.O. see homicides daily along with dozens of robberies, drive by shootings and such. Police in Shreveport see few homicides and many decent citizens using their firearms in self defense.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    It will not happen in this lifetime. If anything, it will get worse.

Shreveport and New Orleans are both cities in Louisiana. Carry openly in New Orleans will likely get one arrested while in Shreveport, it will not even gather any attention. Have a gun in your car in New Orleans and you have just lost your gun to seizure unless you are a Democratic politician with lots of connections. Having a car without a gun in SHreveport will be looked upon in sympathy.

Police Departments act largely based on what they are exposed to in daily communications. Police in N.O. see homicides daily along with dozens of robberies, drive by shootings and such. Police in Shreveport see few homicides and many decent citizens using their firearms in self defense.

Unfortunately, in the case of New Orleans, it will take heads rolling, federal lawsuits, and suing the city into oblivion to get them to wake up and follow the law. But, like you said, probably not in this lifetime.

Links