Help me understand

This is a discussion on Help me understand within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Colorado (an open carry state) today I went into the LGS to buy a xds 3.3 9mm. On my hip was my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Help me understand

Help me understand

I live in Colorado (an open carry state) today I went into the LGS to buy a xds 3.3 9mm. On my hip was my Glock 27 securely holstered in a Blackhawk serpa holster. I am walking through the store and one of the workers gets all cranky and tells me to cover my gun. I did as he said and then walked right out the door and bought my gun from somewhere else. Why on earth would a gun shop who is supposed to be pro 2A tell me to cover my gun? I felt like giving them a no guns = no business card. They will be getting a letter from me telling them how I bought my gun from a competitor because I felt like they were violating my 2A rights.

Thanks

Chad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

2. Remove Ads

Gun stores are weird some I know say no guns unless cased or slide locked ... Course mine just has a sign that states NHE-17708_300.gif

I guess they were worying about you takeing it or showing if off is all I can think.. But there is a right way and wrong way to do things.. Why I dont go to a store or two for treating me like a child ...

Have you been in this LGS before bough from them?

It is odd to me .. My shop the owner alwasy has 45 on hip
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Most unusual regulations that you encounter in a gunshop are more about meeting the requirements of their insurance rider [ keeping their insurance] and less about any personal views about your carried firearm.
    WrongRecroom and DanielC like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Most unusual regulations that you encounter in a gunshop are more about meeting the requirements of their insurance rider [ keeping their insurance] and less about any personal views about your carried firearm.
    Maybe so, but I'd still buy at the one that let me OC in their store.....

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    <snip>They will be getting a letter from me telling them how I bought my gun from a competitor because I felt like they were violating my 2A rights. <snip>
    Enclose with your letter a copy of the sales receipt that has any sensitive information blacked out. Let them know this is money they lost. Make sure you write to an owner, not just a store manager.

I've used this method myself, and it really gets attention.

John W in SC
    oldnfat and mano3 like this.

Help me understand

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Maybe so, but I'd still buy at the one that let me OC in their store.....
    And I did.. I even asked the guy at the store I ended up buying from and he said "it's a gun store, why would you not be able to bring a gun in here"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    357and40 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Yeah it does seem to odd to me unless there was a specific reason why some issue with insurance or past mishapes .. But really who is dumb enough to pull a OC holster piece in a gun store during business hours .. Once in while you get lucky more then likely you will end up with a large number of new drainage ports

I pity the fool who tries to jack my local places ... Esp if the owner gets to the safe ( class 3 dealer usually has couple of dozen Full auto AK and mp5s etc around ) ... never mind mind loaded handgun and such ) or the live firing cannon in the front yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    Help me understand

I am walking through the store and one of the workers gets all cranky and tells me to cover my gun.

I'm sure it mostly comes from the very real threat of idiots bringing in guns that are to be offered up for sale, brought in for service, and so on.

Of course, the sane and rational shops distinguish between carry weapons that won't be unholstered and those being brought in for sale/service.

Not all shops are that way. Not all staff at all otherwise sane/rational shops are that way.

If it's an LGS I like, I'll take it up with the shop's manager or owner, irrespective of how cranky a staffer got. If it's a shop where I'm looking to spend some money, but they opt to take a heavy-handed approach, then they get what they get. Works well for me.
    nortelrye and 357and40 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Most lgs around here have 'no guns' signs on their door, but i've open carried in most of them without issue. I certainly wouldn't give my business to any of them who wouldn't allow me to carry how I chose.

Sara Lou
    357and40 likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

If you have ever spent any time working retail, you will understand. Not all customers are fully functional adult humans with real rational minds. Some are idiots. And you really don't want idiots playing with guns in a store you are working in. Lowest common denominator at work. Murphys' law at work. If it can go wrong, it will eventually. And there is no way to sort out the idiot from the savvy gun owner, until after the shot is fired and the smoke clears.

VIP Member
    One shop I frequent has a sign that says, " If you don't show us YOUR gun, we won't show you OURS"

I don't think they would get bent out of shape if someone walked in OC'ing.
    357and40 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The gun store worker got cranky over an OCed gun because to be blunt he is an idiot getting paid by the hour and likely could care less if you bought a gun there or not. just doesnt like OC I would imagine.

He wasnt worried about safety etc since covered or uncovered you still had the gun.

The 0wner however will probably have a very different outlook on the whole thing.
    357and40 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

IMO pretty simple if a LGS had a no guns sign posted I would never spend a dime there
    357and40 likes this.

I will make sure to post my letter up here before I mail it over to them
    oldnfat likes this.

Administrator
    Just don't say they violated your 2a rights. That just makes you sound stupid.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links