Open Carry in Whataburger (Just outside Of Houston)

This is a discussion on Open Carry in Whataburger (Just outside Of Houston) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I met my friend to go to his range for a good day of shooting. we met at a Whataburger in a small town just ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: Open Carry in Whataburger (Just outside Of Houston)

Open Carry in Whataburger (Just outside Of Houston)

I met my friend to go to his range for a good day of shooting. we met at a Whataburger in a small town just east of Houston. he says I'm going to open carry my AR-15. I said OK, they don't care here.... he said i don't know, it's my first time. He placed his order and received it then the store manager pulled him aside and they spoke quietly, they shook hands and we left. I asked him what did the manager say. He asked me to next time PLEASE leave my rifle in the car. He also told manager that Whataburger 's company policy was ok with OPen Carry (I wouldn't know) but we all left and now he knows it makes people uncomfortable, even though in Texas he is allowed by law to OC his AR.
    CIBMike and gatorbait51 like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I still say that OC of a long gun is stupid, makes people very nervous, causes more dislike of guns by people and will lead to laws being made against guns. Several communities have tightened their laws now to prevent the OC of long guns.

Whataburger has never said a word to me when I would go in there OCing my sidearm. I did it today. Went in with flip flops on, jeans and a blue shirt with my gun plainly visible. Not a word was said about it.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    Don't think this is on the menu at Whataburger, but going to need some...

OD*, Recon1342, CIBMike and 5 others like this.

Too many people choose to be offended by petty things like this. The manager was probably nervous, but in acting on his insecurities, he will cost his employer sales. Enough to make a difference? Maybe, maybe not... But the social media firestorms that can result from such things may make him uncomfortable regardless... Kinda like asking someone to leave because their shoes don't match... If they are not breaking the law, why ask them to leave? How many people would honestly notice a long gun? People familiar with firearms, and rabid antis. The average joe is more likely to be concerned with his burger. Just my $0.02
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I can only conclude it's a self-esteem issue that causes nutjobs to do this. They desperately need attention of any kind and this is a way to get it. Why else would anyone do this? Blatant, selfish stupidity. They are MUCH more of a danger to our 2A future than the left will ever be......

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I met my friend to go to his range for a good day of shooting. we met at a Whataburger in a small town just east of Houston. he says I'm going to open carry my AR-15. I said OK, they don't care here.... he said i don't know, it's my first time. He placed his order and received it then the store manager pulled him aside and they spoke quietly, they shook hands and we left. I asked him what did the manager say. He asked me to next time PLEASE leave my rifle in the car. He also told manager that Whataburger 's company policy was ok with OPen Carry (I wouldn't know) but we all left and now he knows it makes people uncomfortable, even though in Texas he is allowed by law to OC his AR.
    How about that no LEO involvement no arrest ,no mothers covering young eyes.............
    The easy way is always mined.

Well it actually didnt make people uncomfortable, just that one manager.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    I can only conclude it's a self-esteem issue that causes nutjobs to do this. They desperately need attention of any kind and this is a way to get it. Why else would anyone do this? Blatant, selfish stupidity. They are MUCH more of a danger to our 2A future than the left will ever be......
    Please give me the rules again on how one should exercise their Second Amendment rights.....I mean according to your guidelines. Some of us get confused

Now, let us see what happened..
    1. Man legally carries a firearm into the Whatburger
    2. Does not video tape it an put it on You Tube
    3. Politlely listens to the manager....appears they had an adult conversation about it.
    4. No MWAG call
    5. No ranting and raving about ones rights

WOW, what a self serving jerk
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Open Carry in Whataburger

he says I'm going to open carry my AR-15.
    Whammy Burger?

Show your friend this clip, or have him watch the whole film if he's willing. A semi-concrete example (though fictional) of how some folks see the whole OC (visible carry) thang. Of course, this foolish example is about outright mishandling, but still ...

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Well it actually didnt make people uncomfortable, just that one manager.
    How do you know? Do you think most gun-fearing folks are going to publicly confront a person open-carrying a Scary Black Rifle?

Wow. Really? Carrying an AR into a fast food restaurant? You think average, sane people think this is OK? I'm sorry, I EDC, but that is completely unnecessary and definitely reeks of LOOK AT ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    Too many people choose to be offended by petty things like this. The manager was probably nervous, but in acting on his insecurities, he will cost his employer sales. Enough to make a difference? Maybe, maybe not... But the social media firestorms that can result from such things may make him uncomfortable regardless... Kinda like asking someone to leave because their shoes don't match... If they are not breaking the law, why ask them to leave? How many people would honestly notice a long gun? People familiar with firearms, and rabid antis. The average joe is more likely to be concerned with his burger. Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    Completely agree

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I am really starting to think we need a hotline for us that OC to call to make sure we are doing things properly. We obviously are all self serving idiots. I will call you next time to make sure what I do passes your sanity test
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by nortelrye View Post
    How do you know? Do you think most gun-fearing folks are going to publicly confront a person open-carrying a Scary Black Rifle?
    Didn't somebody do that up in Portland last fall? We got a lot of bad press over it as I recall.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    Wow. Really? Carrying an AR into a fast food restaurant? You think average, sane people think this is OK? I'm sorry, I EDC, but that is completely unnecessary and definitely reeks of LOOK AT ME.
    I'm not that old, yet I recall years ago in my old community (in Calif., if you can believe that) where kids and young adults would occasionally walk through the small town carrying BB guns, lever-action rifles and the like. They'd head to the general store, the feed store, the burger/shake joint (a restaurant). At the local high school, there was after-school shooting, there were cars in the student parking lot with gun racks, etc. In the neighboring hills and fields (granted, just outside the town borders), there were plenty of folks out for rattle snakes, coyote.

Do I think sane people think this is okay? Sure.

Do I think our culture (in the USA) is largely populated with sane people? Not on your life, not if their bare-fear, reactionary actions are any indication.

Therein lies the problem, IMO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links