Would you be unconcerned or uncomfortable if:

This is a discussion on Would you be unconcerned or uncomfortable if: within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First I want to say that most here are pro gun and pro 2nd Amendment. Many here carry openly because of various reasons and that ...

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: Would you be unconcerned or uncomfortable if:

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Would you be unconcerned or uncomfortable if:

First I want to say that most here are pro gun and pro 2nd Amendment. Many here carry openly because of various reasons and that is fine. I agree with them doing so for whatever the reason. However and many here will agree that some carry for the show, again for whatever the reason.

Let's say that you and your family are eating in a restaurant, sitting in a theater, pulling into a parking lot or any place open to public entery.

Suddenly you see a man or maybe two men walking in carrying AR15 or which ever long gun of choice it may be.

1. Would it draw your attention to the gun or the person?
    2. Would you be comfortable being there with your family seeing such?
    3. Would you be curious as to why they would bring long guns into such a place?
    4. Would a person wearing a sidearm draw such attention from you?
    5. Would a sidearm worn openly and discreetly by someone entering the place upset you like a long gun would?

Just food for thought.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

2. Remove Ads

I would go the other way immediately.

Sidearm would be different, depending on appearance of wearer. If he had the Jared Loughner look, I'd leave ASAP too.
    How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Yes, an AR would get my attention. Since we have no way of knowing who's who, why would you not be on high alert. I would get my family out of that place as fast and safely as I could and wait for the police to come because somebody is going to call, maybe not me but it will happen. I am as pro gun as they come, but I'm not pro stupid. And carrying an AR into a public place openly, is IMHO, stupid.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    unless they are brandishing, acting skittish or nervous, look "thuggish", or otherwise set me on edge some other way. no, owuldn't concern me a bit. If they looked alert and/or had a MIL/LEO look to them, or gun club shirts, or some other such i might just feel a tad safer, they could be mall ninjas of course, but even if their just cannon fodder while we escape, i'm fine with that.

quite frankly i wish the taboo wasn't there, on either side of the debate, and more good folks could carry more guns, of any style, any way, in more places.

if someone looks like they are skittish and armed then i just leave ASAP. if someone looks like a fool and armed i just try to position myself away from them, and leave at my earliest convenience. If some looks competent and armed, i still try to position my self away form them, and feel like i can become a secondary(or tertiary?) responder to a threat.

as to what they are armed with, well, cops treat a suspect armed with a derringer .22 the same as somone armed with with an AR15, so, really, what's the difference to me? same above rules apply about how the person looks and how i respond.

EDIT- OC of long and hand guns is a pretty common thing in the mountain towns around here, maybe i'm just more used to it?

If they looked squared away I wouldn't be overly concerned. Would probably look for the opportunity to go talk to them. May find out they are part of a club or something that may interest me. Worse case I get to talk to someone like-minded about guns, and that is always fun.
    gatorbait51 and Recon1342 like this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    OC is illegal in SC; so it would get my attention. But, as long as there weren't any other cues to signal mal-intent, it wouldn't rattle me at all.

-
    jenatron and gatorbait51 like this.

I would be concerned with anyone displaying such a lack of maturity in a public place. They obviously have poor social skills, have a desperate need for attention, and an equally desperate need for confrontation. There could be no other excuse for such conduct.

VIP Member
    Ok those that answered that they would be concerned, leave, or it would get your attention you are not anti gun, anti 2A, anti OC and anti Pepsi products
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    For thought: Why did we not have people carrying lever action, bolt action or semi auto loader long guns as we now have the AR15? Never was a problem until the AR type came into focus.
    CLASS3NH, gatorbait51 and DingBat like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

If it is two women carrying AR-15s, I am out of there.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

GH
    I'll preface my statements with the fact that I'm all for open carry. I don't do it myself mainly because I don't want to be the first target, lol. I would very definitely be somewhat uncomfortable if someone came in carrying a long gun for the simple reason that I'd feel outgunned. During my evaluation process I'd start to use some reasoning. If they were up to no good why are they openly displaying the weapons? If they wanted to shoot up the place why didn't they do it right at entry into the establishment?

I wouldn't run out but I'd keep a very watchful eye on them.. If they made a move to unshoulder their weapons I'd start my draw discreetly & tell me wife, grandson & all others with me to start going under the table slowly. This goes double if both carriers starting separating. This reaction would be after I was almost certain if one or both seemed to be preparing to fire. I would hope that my LEO son was there with us, lol. We both sit so we're facing an entrance or back door.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Long guns ALWAYS get my attention, because as of that moment I know I am out gunned.

VIP Member
    Initially I'd be aggressively PROFILING those guys.

If they have rifles as stated, I'd be seriously out-gunned and at a disadvantage.

If I were in Academy Sports and some guy came in carrying a rifle I'd be assuming he's going to the gun counter with a problem, question, or need for accessories. I wouldn't think too much of it, but I would be watching his demeanor. Him coming into a movie theatre changes to a different venue.

If vulnerable people are with me, I'm more about giving the rifle guy some space.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    It would definitely get my attention. As long as they remained slung until they had to sit down I don't have a problem with it, but I sit in the back of the theatre and restaurant when I go (and I don't go to movies anymore) somewhere because I don't like anyone sitting behind me.

Open pistol carry doesn't send the same red flags up as OC of a rifle would, but it's his right to do so and the reasons don't matter.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    For thought: Why did we not have people carrying lever action, bolt action or semi auto loader long guns as we now have the AR15? Never was a problem until the AR type came into focus.
    The AR is a high visibility tool. Per the media, and the related bad reputation the AR gets (from the Sandy Hook and several other incedents) people are more apt to notice that type of rifle.
    Food for thought. Why is it we always see the AR/AK being carried? Why not a Winchester 94 lever action, or a Colt Saur rifle? The real reason, they don't get as much attention as the AR/AK would.
    Why not a M1 carbine? M1 Garand? K98 Mauser? Because they DON'T get as much attention as the AR/AK.
    How bout a Browning Citori? Rem 870 28" bbl shotgun? nope... Not that type of attention getter are they?
    oldman45 and Secret Spuk like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Links