Taking a rifle on a motorcycle? (Indiana)

Taking a rifle on a motorcycle? (Indiana)

This is a discussion on Taking a rifle on a motorcycle? (Indiana) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious, but if I was wanting to go to the range on a motorcycle would it be legal to take long guns? Whether it ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 2 Post By tpcarc
  • 1 Post By CLASS3NH
  • 1 Post By kismetcapitan
  • 1 Post By Longstreet
  • 2 Post By Parrisk
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: Taking a rifle on a motorcycle? (Indiana)

Question Taking a rifle on a motorcycle? (Indiana)

Just curious, but if I was wanting to go to the range on a motorcycle would it be legal to take long guns? Whether it be on one of those fork scabbards, slung to my back unloaded, a case strapped down to the bike, etc. Is there any legal way to carry a rifle on a motorcycle in Indiana?
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Good question. Just stay out of the Whataburgers if it is.

If OC is legal there as it is here I have been known to sling the SKS across my back and take it with me to go shoot or hunt or whatever if riding the bike.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Based on multiple searches, looking through IC, and multiple forum conversations. There appears to be no laws regarding carrying rifles loaded or unloaded. If there are no laws against it, it can't be illegal. Has anyone else found anything stating otherwise?
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have a Kel Tec Sub-2000 in .40 that folds in half and would easily fit into most motorcycle saddlebags. Having been a veteran of a few motorcycle accidents, I don't think I would have wanted a rifle strapped to my body during any of these mishaps. Good luck!
    CLASS3NH and Parrisk like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

In the state of Indiana, you don't need a permit to carry/own a rifle. Whether on a bike or not.
    CLASS3NH and 1 old 0311 like this.

What is YOUR State Law? Have you researched it? If it says you CAN Open Carry it, then it's a good to go thing. Here in New Hampshire, we have people who ride to the range with their Bike (motorcycle) Rifle on their back, or handgun holstered on their waist, and it's perfectly legal.
    HONESTLY now, since you're ON A MOTORCYCLE, If I were you, I'd have it in a soft case, to insure that should you go down on the bike, the rifle doesn't go skidding across the road. That is something I would do if I were riding my Bike to the range. Your conditions for riding my be different.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Years ago when I lived in Tucson my buddy and I went plinking in the desert and took the bikes
    I had my 12 ga riot gun( didn't use the word tacticool back then)
    And he had his scoped 10/22. Guns were slung across our backs and no one batted an eye going out or coming back

I have done it in Indiana. Wore a jacket over a slung rifle. Muzzle sticking out of collar, stock sticking out the bottom. I have also carried a broken down double-barrel in my saddle bags with the barrels sticking out of one.

soft backpack-style guitar gig bag. if your rifle is very long get one for a bass. depending where you are, just because rifle open carry may be 100% legal and not require a permit, doesn't mean that riding around with an AK-47 with magazine loaded is the smartest thing to do. Bikers get hassled by cops too much as it is; I'm never giving a cop any additional reason to pull me over.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

I know of no law in Indiana that would prevent you from carrying a shotgun/rifle on a motorcycle.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

I am not getting into the OC legal or not..not my state

I would not want to ride with it on my body incase of an accident.

I would check with ATV dealers or online stores for a hardcase scabbard.. most sell them for hunters who use ATVs. find a way to mount or strap it to the scooter and go.... wonder if that would count as OC?

Odd things I have had on my bike:
    -2 tall dining room wooden highback chairs
    -childs electric car, VW Beetle big enough for 2 kids
    -full (later empty) keg of beer
    -wheel chair I took to my mom over 2 hundred miles away
    -mountain bike
    -150lb sow for a BBQ (same weekend as the keg)
    -Several cases of beer at one time (gotta love hard saddle bags)
    -front and rear tire/rims off my other motorcycle to and from tire shop
    -tall stack of boxes of new housewares I found onsale about 80 miles from home
    -and assortend things/people I will deny were on there

Don't tell me I can't do it, I take that as a challenge
    CLASS3NH and Farmerjohn like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

I dont see how it would be illegal giving current law, but I think slinging a rifle across your back may draw unwanted attention. If it is something you really want to do, I would figure out how to mount a case on your bike. I would contact the state police, sherrifs, and local LE and see what all of them say...you would be suprised how their answers may differ.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sponsored Links