First time open carry in Kentucky - no issues.

This is a discussion on First time open carry in Kentucky - no issues. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I attended some handgun training back in October and open-carried after class once, but I assumed everyone around that area was so used to seeing ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By banshee56
  • 2 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 3 Post By Ghost1958

Thread: First time open carry in Kentucky - no issues.

I attended some handgun training back in October and open-carried after class once, but I assumed everyone around that area was so used to seeing it that it was a non-event. I've been concealed carrying (when I can) for a few months and have been getting more comfortable doing so each time, but I hadn't yet open carried in my home area, until Saturday.

My son and I attended an IDPA event on Saturday and needed to go to several stores after to run some errands. Our first stop was Home Depot for a water heater element. I still had my competition holster on, so it didn't have finger deactivated retention, but I though it would be fine since I planned to walk in condition yellow anyway. We went in and went about our business and I walked about as if nothing was different. My son was a bit nervous, I think, because he was a bit more boisterous when talking and joking. I talked him back to normal and we continued as normal. We went through the store and got the parts I needed, all the while making eye contact with a number of people that passed by. The only person that seemed to be acting a bit odd was a guy outside the store that was waiting to load a large object. Not sure if he was nervous about my sidearm, or was just trying to get his stuff done quickly.

After getting the element, but not a 1-1/2" socket, I decided to go to Lowe's. Same thing there... plenty of eye contact but not really any comments of even looks toward my sidearm, from the front anyway. I tried to look around a bit, but didn't notice anyone looking at me from behind either. After Lowe's, we went to a Great Clips to get my son's hair cut. I didn't carry in there because there were a bunch of small kids and I didn't really want to cause any issues. My car was parked just outside, so I felt fine with leaving it in the car. Last stop was at Walmart. Again, I don't even think anyone noticed.

The whole experience was a positive one for me since I really didn't have to deal with anyone regarding my sidearm. I don't plan to open carry a lot, but I will be a lot more comfortable doing so next time.
    Aceoky and MasterGadgets like this.

I think in a lot of states guns and seeing guns are normal and not a thing .. Plus unless you look like mr gangbanger I dont think people will make a second look to your gun...

I like OC esp in the summertime ( 90-100+ f so no cover shirt is nice ) and when walking the dog as the draw for me is a bit faster and easier one handed
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Your in KY after all. There is diddly anyone can or cares to do about OC here. It is guaranteed by the state constitution. The only reason I got a CCDW was other weapons I could carry and the occasional no force of law no gun sign that I can just go on past if IM CC though I have OC and nothing was said.
    WrongRecroom, KyBill and Aceoky like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I think, That is issues on first time opening. You need to work hard for it.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    I think in a lot of states guns and seeing guns are normal and not a thing .. Plus unless you look like mr gangbanger I dont think people will make a second look to your gun...

I like OC esp in the summertime ( 90-100+ f so no cover shirt is nice ) and when walking the dog as the draw for me is a bit faster and easier one handed
    Honestly here if you look like some murderous outlaw biker, nobody will give OC a second look, or a first one. They may skitter a little from you but they wont even notice the gun. ( Dont ask me how I know this please )
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Links