Great experience in Austin Texas,,,,,,,the word is getting out

This is a discussion on Great experience in Austin Texas,,,,,,,the word is getting out within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While many know I am not a big proponent of open carry being pushed in Texas, but if the public had the understanding and calm ...

Like Tree24Likes
  • 6 Post By bigdogtx
  • 4 Post By Recon1342
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By sammeow
  • 3 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By baren
  • 1 Post By baren
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Glock2201

Thread: Great experience in Austin Texas,,,,,,,the word is getting out

While many know I am not a big proponent of open carry being pushed in Texas, but if the public had the understanding and calm demeanor,,,,,,,,I might change my mind......

The Way Texas Cop Responds to Group of Armed Open Carry Advocates Makes This Video Viral-Worthy ? Just Not for the Reason You Might Expect | Video | TheBlaze.com

Thank you officer Dale,,,,,,we need many more like you.

Fantastic! If I add anything else, I'll probably get in trouble with the mods. Suffice it to say, I am very pro OC, and this police officer proves there is hope yet for this country.
    TN_Mike, Ghost1958, baren and 1 others like this.
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

That is the way it should be and if every LEO handled these silly MWAG calls like this officer there would be no issues. Officer arrives, sees there is nothing illegal going on and thats it. No heavy handed I want your Id etc etc etc. Just quick look see a bit of friendly banter and no harm no foul. As it should be everywhere.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Thumbs up

That method of contact is the perfect way to handle it, agreed. Non-threatening all the way around. But then, folks watching knew that all along, including the officer as he arrived and saw "non threat" painted all over the folks there.

Of course, the nay-sayers will point out that 6hrs of walking around resulting in a recorded encounter means these people were itchin' for confrontation. I'd suggest they weren't, that they're simply seeking what we're all seeking: sane, rational acceptance of a non-threatening behavior that's lawful and justifiable by upstanding citizens ... even in downtown Austin.

Kudos to everyone involved.

IOW: Why does it always have to be OC vs Police? It doesn't. It really doesn't.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ever notice that you rarely see the girls there OCing?
    I guess they couldn't find a sling to match their shoes.
    gatorbait51 and oldman45 like this.

I saw this video earlier today. I was very impressed with the way this police officer handled everything. Showed that there are in fact good cops still out there. Sadly, I fear the police officers like this are in a small minority these days.
    ccw9mm, bigdogtx and gatorbait51 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    While many know I am not a big proponent of open carry being pushed in Texas, but if the public had the understanding and calm demeanor,,,,,,,,I might change my mind......

The Way Texas Cop Responds to Group of Armed Open Carry Advocates Makes This Video Viral-Worthy ? Just Not for the Reason You Might Expect | Video | TheBlaze.com

Thank you officer Dale,,,,,,we need many more like you.
    I can't say the same for Temple Police arresting the Army Sgt walking with his Son on a county road :/ Great Job to Officer Dale, he does give hope that not all LEO will have a knee-jerk reaction to a non-threatening Open Carry situation in the public.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    That is the way it should be and if every LEO handled these silly MWAG calls like this officer there would be no issues. Officer arrives, sees there is nothing illegal going on and thats it. No heavy handed I want your Id etc etc etc. Just quick look see a bit of friendly banter and no harm no foul. As it should be everywhere.
    Exactly! Why can the City or State run a PSA on the very simple facts of Open Carry? They definitely don't mind PSA pushing illegal In-State Tuition support :/
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post
    I can't say the same for Temple Police arresting the Army Sgt walking with his Son on a county road :/ Great Job to Officer Dale, he does give hope that not all LEO will have a knee-jerk reaction to a non-threatening Open Carry situation in the public.
    I had forgotten about that incident. Do you know the outcome or has it been settled? While the SGt was breaking the law in two ways, I do not think he should have been arrested or charged. Nor do I think the Temple Police had authority out in the country side.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I had forgotten about that incident. Do you know the outcome or has it been settled? While the SGt was breaking the law in two ways, I do not think he should have been arrested or charged. Nor do I think the Temple Police had authority out in the country side.
    Apparently, $2K fine without jail time, for "interfering with police duties":

Jury Gives C.J. Grisham $2,000 Fine With No Jail Time
    Posted: Nov 20, 2013 6:17 PM EST

BELL COUNTY -

Fort Hood Master Sergeant C.J. Grisham has been [uordered by a jury to pay a $2,000 fine without having to serve any jail time[/u] after he was convicted on a charge of interfering with police duties.

Before the jury came to their conclusion, they first had to listen to more testimony from character witnesses for both the state and defense, including Grisham's wife.

Emily Grisham gave the most emotional testimony when she pleaded with the jury to be lenient in what sentence they chose for her husband, while the prosecution called an investigator who tracked Grisham's online activity following the incident and said that he was using the case only to gain publicity for his gun rights activism.

<snip>

Another news report, on the conviction: link.

Two aspects of the case to consider:

• One's written/spoken word can sway juries, as to intent and motive ... ie, if the DA/police are attempting to paint a person as a "rabble rouser."

• Grousing loudly at the side of the road can indeed result in charges and conviction for "interference" with police duties. IOW, whatever you say most certainly can be used to build charges against you, with a willing DA, despite the fact you don't actually resist arrest or hinder the business at hand in any manner. Questioning the purpose of the MWAG call can be considered interference, apparently.

Something to keep in mind, when loudly supporting the RKBA.
    oldman45 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Thank you for the posting. I enjoy reading accurate information and you well provided that.

Having read the verdict, I am now wondering if TX does not have a law that prevents municipalities from circumventing State law. Also why did a Temple officer respond to a man outside the city of Temple? The man was out in the country.

I do think the good Sgt over reacted in his discourse with the officer but not so much that it ended the way it did.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Having read the verdict, I am now wondering if TX does not have a law that prevents municipalities from circumventing State law. Also why did a Temple officer respond to a man outside the city of Temple? The man was out in the country.

I do think the good Sgt over reacted in his discourse with the officer but not so much that it ended the way it did.
    At worst, according to the portion publicly seen from the recording made at the scene, at least, it seems all that can be said is the guy was a bit miffed and outspoken about the lunacy of the ostensible charges and the ridiculousness of the situation. Yet, apparently that was taken as "resistance" of sorts, interference in official duties. Being verbal, but otherwise not resisting in the least. Out to send a chill through everyone, if indeed this was the truth of the matter.

IMO, TX and every other state that doesn't yet have such a thing needs to craft a simple state statute that categorically states mere carry DOES NOT constitute threat by itself, is not a justification for anything other than cursory inquiry, cannot be held against a person if otherwise lawfully carrying. And merely vocally speaking on the lunacy of the situation shouldn't be deemed interference, either (if indeed that's what occurred in this case, which apparently the jury seems to have thought did, at least based on what they'd been told in testimonies).
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    It has been a while since I watched the video and I am not familiar with TX law. What 2 laws did he break?
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    At worst, according to the portion publicly seen from the recording made at the scene, at least, it seems all that can be said is the guy was a bit miffed and outspoken about the lunacy of the ostensible charges and the ridiculousness of the situation. Yet, apparently that was taken as "resistance" of sorts, interference in official duties. Being verbal, but otherwise not resisting in the least. Out to send a chill through everyone, if indeed this was the truth of the matter.

IMO, TX and every other state that doesn't yet have such a thing needs to craft a simple state statute that categorically states mere carry DOES NOT constitute threat by itself, is not a justification for anything other than cursory inquiry, cannot be held against a person if otherwise lawfully carrying. And merely vocally speaking on the lunacy of the situation shouldn't be deemed interference, either (if indeed that's what occurred in this case, which apparently the jury seems to have thought did, at least based on what they'd been told in testimonies).
    Excellent points

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    It has been a while since I watched the video and I am not familiar with TX law. What 2 laws did he break?
    That would be the 64 dollar question. Apparently none other than interfering with an officer over stepping his authority to investigate a legal act.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Links