What's wrong with this OC rig?

This is a discussion on What's wrong with this OC rig? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a few errors here... What?s wrong with this carry rig? | Gun Safety Blog...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: What's wrong with this OC rig?

VIP Member
    The only problem I see is the same one I have, done lap.
    gatorbait51, ginzo and 357and40 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Good Lord.

The holster is not the correct model for this gun. This gun has a barrel that is obviously longer than the gun the holster is made for. The trigger guard is completely exposed and the holster is obviously designed to cover the trigger by the shape. What a moron.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I see the same things as Mike, you can't even pretend that's a close enough fit.
    redsaber75 and gatorbait51 like this.

My dad actually has similar holster for his colt detective. It was a duty holster for my mom's first husband. It looks like it is purposely cut out around the trigger in the design and the holster does fit the gun. My guess is once upon a time somebody thought this was a good way to do it and I bet there a few of these out there. They are likely designed around revolvers with pretty stiff triggers.

He also had weird upside down shoulder rig for it. Both seem a little scary to me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by D_FIN View Post
    My dad actually has similar holster for his colt detective. It was a duty holster for my mom's first husband. It looks like it is purposely cut out around the trigger in the design and the holster does fit the gun. My guess is once upon a time somebody thought this was a good way to do it and I bet there a few of these out there. They are likely designed around revolvers with pretty stiff triggers.

He also had weird upside down shoulder rig for it. Both seem a little scary to me.
    It is not weird its Builit man standard.jpg

I am guessign it was less of a issue with the heavy old wheel gun trigger days .. But having seen some duty holster from back then I do wonder ..

Also I am crazy to think the speed loaders could be a bit hard to get too ?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

The speed loaders were the first thing that caught my eye. Or - are those just keepers of some sort, aft of the holster? Looks like a speedloader pouch dead center under the gut.

Beyond the holster, the other goofball thing is the keys hanging off the belt where they can flop around and get in the way. Stow 'em... that's what pockets are for.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The exposed trigger is not that unusual for a revolver. Hell, I've seen ones that are set up for you to be able to rotate the gun AND holster and fire the gun. Obviously that's not what this one does, but like WR said, it's probably because it has a long heavy DA trigger that it's not really a major safety issue. I still wouldn't do it though.

As for the speed loaders, they are in the right place. For revolvers, you typically hold the gun in your weak hand and reload with your strong hand. So you want them on the same side as your firearm.
    gatorbait51 and sensei2 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    The vast majority of western holsters have the trigger exposed, but then again they are SA. Maybe that's the look he was going for.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by D_FIN View Post

I don't think the holster in the OP's picture was made for the gun the guy is carrying but the design isn't/wasn't rare. Here's a thumbnail pic of one of my K Frame Smiths in an old (vintage 1970s) holster that's been taking up space in my holster box for a few years. Actually not a bad old holster for some purposes, those obviously not being open carry on the mean streets.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member
    Nothing unusual for an old time holster. I don't like the location of the speedloaders though.
    Holster designs have improved over the years, that's for sure.
    redsaber75 and dangerranger like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't care--it's not mine.
    Eric357 and Qtip like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Safety is everyone's responsibility."

Just sayin'!

VIP Member
    Mike and gasmitty pretty much nailed it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You probably should care. Anyone as sloppy as the guy in the picture is about ready to have his gun taken away by a bad guy who just might then shoot you.
    redsaber75 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links