Interestig OC (non)Reaction The Other Day

This is a discussion on Interestig OC (non)Reaction The Other Day within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tuesday of this week, a friend and I went to the range to do some shooting. He's a good guy, former Marine and about 70 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Interestig OC (non)Reaction The Other Day

Tuesday of this week, a friend and I went to the range to do some shooting. He's a good guy, former Marine and about 70 years old. But he's a little dizzy. (I say that in a kind way ) When I picked him up, he had his Glock G26 on his belt OC, a double mag-carrier and a cell phone. Anyone else I would have said "Mall Ninja" but I know this guy and it was just his dizziness showing. I doubt he thought about it.

We went to the range and after about an hour or so decided we were through and went to get a burger down the street (our normal routine). Now, I'm thinking he's gonna take off his "duty belt" before we go eat, but no, he's gonna go in dressed out. I feel a bit of angst. (OC is allowed in Louisiana but I am not comfortable with it, personally, so don't do it.) As we approach the door I am looking for signs of no guns allowed but see nothing so figure I'll just hold on tight for the ride.

We walk in, the gal asks us if it'll be just 2 and seats us. Not a glance or sideways look from the waitress or any of the customers (at least that I could see). Hmmm, so far this ain't so bad. We sit, eat, BS a while and leave. Again, not a look from anyone. I am really surprised we didn't get at least ONE furtive look from a customer or some kid or something. But NO ONE seemed to notice. I am happy I didn't get caught in a big scene and all went well so my 70 year old pal didn't have a lot of 'splainin' to do!

Not a bad first time OC experience.
    gatorbait51 and TN_Mike like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I'm glad it happened like that. It goes to show that not everyone is scared of someone OCing. I'm like you and don't personally OC but it does not bother me if someone else want's to.
    gatorbait51, GlockHawk17 and OD* like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My opinion is most people have the same reaction I had back when I lived in OC states: I wonder what he's got. More curiosity than fear. Those fearful just head off in another direction. The majority don't care.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Honestly most people are either too wrapped up in their own little world to notice, or don't care (but there are some far left that will always be scared). I think it's a mixture of both. I have open carried once last week and I walked by a child in a cart and a mom looking at clothes, after I passed I heard the child say "mommy that man had a gun" and I loved her response... "that's OK sweetie". It's starting to get a little less "taboo", and hope responsible citizens continue to make progress and it becomes the norm.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    But NO ONE seemed to notice. I am happy I didn't get caught in a big scene and all went well so my 70 year old pal didn't have a lot of 'splainin' to do!

Not a bad first time OC experience.
    That's the way it should be. Few looks any more inquiring than why someone's wearing a loudly colored jacket or bell-bottomed jeans (or whatever). I notice when someone's carrying, if I've seen it. I try to give most new entrants a glance, in any shop or restaurant, in a mild attempt to size-up that person. Nearly everyone doesn't earn a second glance. But when indicators dictate, I try to keep an eye on the person. But, mere carrying as cause to do so? Nope.

I'm betting at least a few folks in that diner noticed he was carrying. Yet they also likely noticed he was just going about normal and customary business, had a friend with him, was having a meal and not threatening anyone or acting strange, etc. No different than had he been not carrying, really. No threat, and no cause for concern, let alone alarm. As it should be.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 10th, 2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    It's amazing how many people fail to notice a full size Glock, much less a g26... Good outcome!
    D_FIN and gatorbait51 like this.
    The Opinion of others I very little regard, & have a thorough Contempt for all men, be their Names Characters & Stations what they may, who appear to be the irreclaimable Enemies of Religion & Liberty.
    -Samuel Adams

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Arkansas is supposed to be concealed carry, but the guy behind the counter where I buy my BBQ, asks that I OC there. He's a city cop, so I don't worry about letting it show. He was present when I went for my CCW. He has a few unsavory customers step in from time to time. Of course, I don't think they'll like looking down the barrel of his 1911 either.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    It's a good thing he was a Marine. Anyone else, the gun would have jumped out of it's holster and gone on a shooting spree. It knew to behave itself in the presence of a Marine.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Seems you have experienced what some folks call a teaching moment.

Your "dizzy" friend gave you a life lesson in how to carry yourself when you are an honest law abiding citizen and have no nefarious intent.

Glad you didn't miss that class. You'll find that the vast majority of the population will never even notice a sidearm as long as the person carrying maintains a non threatening demeanor. As others have said the people that normally notice are fellow carriers who wonder what his choice in firearm is and if he has a "secret" place to go shoot when the urge for some target practice hits.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I did this at a Waffle House a few months back.

After shooting at the range in the morning, my son and I decided to get a late breakfast at the Waffle House.

I didn't feel like taking off my holster and gun (SIG P2022) and re-arranging everything to go CC. Alabama is now an open carry state and I didn't see any anti-gun signs, so we went in.

The place was busy and I never got a strange look or question. We were sitting at the counter and ol' Siggy was hanging out - nothing.

My wife thinks that I look like an off-duty cop (nice jeans, Polo shirt, military style haircut, everything squared-away) and that's why no one said anything...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Could be. Maybe scraggly hair, a grimy biker vest, and an arm-to-arm tattooed babe next to you might have drawn different looks. That would have been the tattooed babe though.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I live in Alabama too, but have yet to open carry other than around my neighborhood.

I don't have anything against public open carry, I actually enjoy seeing other people trying it on for size, but for the time being I'll stick with CC just because I like having the element of surprise and don't want to make myself a target if someone that I don't notice with ill intent notices me first.
    mano3 and gatorbait51 like this.

This is pretty much the experience I have every day. I open carry 95% of the time and 95% of that is as uneventful as the OP. The other 3% is people asking me what kind of gun it is, 1% praising me for it, and another 1% asking if it's legal.

I will second what others said .. Unless you look like a crazy bum or have a kill em all let god sort it out tshirt on etc .. No one is going to care .. Esp down south/out west ... Guns are a part of life .Esp if you look like a nice fellow and or have that dont worry I am a cop look if you know what I mean..

I only had two peopel ask on my OC one who ask why dont I carry CC so I have more surpise one the BG and the others ask I hunted with it ( 9mm 92 ..)

I got to tell you when it gets past 80 + on the thermostate I dont feel like wearing a cover shirt and go OC .. As long as I dont go into a bar or places that serves boze and the like I am just fine ...

We have had OC here since heck the frontiers days ... Pre Cons carry ever one OC here .. Even now I see a lot of OC esp with larger size guns ...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    he had his Glock G26 on his belt OC, a double mag-carrier and a cell phone.

For a lot of us that sort of rig is just another day......
    Recon1342, Badey and gatorbait51 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links