Food for Debate Article

Food for Debate Article

This is a discussion on Food for Debate Article within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Similar article along the lines of Roger Phillips' "Do's and Don'ts of Open Carry" The Perils of Open Carry | Active Response Training...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Food for Debate Article

Food for Debate Article

Similar article along the lines of Roger Phillips' "Do's and Don'ts of Open Carry"

The Perils of Open Carry | Active Response Training

oh boy.....

BTW: This is not so much "food for debate", but rather, "let us start a useless agrument again that will not change anyone's mind"
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There is peril to taking your next breath. Been there, done that, still here.
    welder516, Aceoky and TN_Mike like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

welder516, suntzu and Badey like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Retention is important. Absolutely. For anyone, irrespective of visibly carrying or not. So are disarm skills, another element that the majority of carriers don't get involved with learning.

As for increased risk of being disarmed if a violent felon knows one is armed ... well, sure, it's a potential change in risk. But with a given felon who's on you, there's no way to know whether it'll differ in that case. The stats don't show any detail in this area, as to whether it's a sure increase in risk. But then, wearing a suit in the wrong part of town increases one's risk as well. Who can say that this or that aspect of carrying alters risk any more than another aspect? It's a guess, IMO.

With MWAG calls, the greatest impacting factor is the degree of knee-jerk insanity that exists in a county with respect to the DA/LE folks who are tasked with dealing with an armed citizenry. In places where sanity and rationality rules, and where a tight ship is maintained on procedures within LE for handling folks who are not threatening others, then MWAG calls get dealt with for what they are, instead of strictly for what some fear they might portend. Depends on the community, and on the officers in question and what dictates/training they've had in the chain of command. Be upstanding, act responsibly, go about your normal and customary business, and accept that there are a few "bare fear" types of people out there who don't quite get the fact that we're armed and not felons. Greater likelihood of having a MWAG call? Sure, since it's hard to call LE for something unknown.

Overall, good points to consider as a carrier, given the simple fact that we don't exist in a vacuum. Felons will do what they'll do, tossing us curve balls. And knee-jerk citizens will do what they'll do, fearfully disengaging their brains when making a MWAG call for so-called "help" to correct their offended sensibilities. Hard to avoid everything. Doesn't mean one shouldn't visibly carry, though. Not by a long stretch.
    welder516, suntzu, Zralou and 2 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Fine Officer Ellifritz doesn't like OC. He's voiced his opinion on line, so now he can go back to his classroom and quit pushing his opinion on people who didn't ask for it.
    welder516, suntzu, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The dude that made this clip is welcome to his opinion. I do not. He may think he's pretty hot feces. He's the only one where I'm concerned.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    I read part of the article and knew it was down-hill . I love open carry - I hate open carry - I love open carry ..............................oh forget it .
    Aceoky likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I open carry where it makes sense and conceal carry where it makes sense. Do what works best for you within your state's laws.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Never heard of him. His opinion is worth every bit of his reputation, to me - nada!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Sorry but blah, blah, blah.
    I Love Guns!!!

Here we go again... A house divided can't stand. We would be a much more powerful lobby if we stopped fighting amongst ourselves about how and what to carry...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I think he made some great points.

Nah, not really.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Here we go again... A house divided can't stand. We would be a much more powerful lobby if we stopped fighting amongst ourselves about how and what to carry...
    Not really seeing any fighting ......................anyone can see the article is nonsense .
    Badey likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

WOW...another opinion on the subject of open carry...MMMMmmmmmmmmm....
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links