Is there a limit to what you can OC?

This is a discussion on Is there a limit to what you can OC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We don't have OC in SC yet, but was curious about what they say is permissable to carry? I remember an old show I used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is there a limit to what you can OC?

Distinguished Member

We don't have OC in SC yet, but was curious about what they say is permissable to carry?

I remember an old show I used to love and I think it was Steve McQueen in "Wanted Dead Or Alive" He used to carry a sawed of shotgun or rifle (I am not sure since I was not a gun guru then, still ain't). He used to swivel that into action faster than anyone could fast draw a six shooter.

Back to my question, sorry.

When a state says OC is legal, do they clarify to what caliber or capacity is allowed?

Just curious if I travel to an OC state if I can bring my PX4 machine pistol
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Each state is different. In PA you can legally open (or concealed) carry NFA items, assuming you have your tax stamp. If you have an NFA item, other than a silencer, you have to file paperwork with the ATF to get approval to transport, unless you are traveling to an adjacent state (at least this is my understanding, but I am not a lawyer).

Assuming your PX4 is not really a machine pistol, most states that are OC allow you to OC as a not resident (WV is a bit unclear on this). I would just do your homework before you go to an OC state and OC; make absolutely certain you are legal.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Short answer, is it will vary from state to state, if it is legal for CC, it should be legal for OC.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The firearm in question was referred to as a " Mares Leg"! Steve McQueen played the lead, with the firearm a sawed off 30-30!
    Happy Easter everyone TKH
    kaikane0812 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    When a state says OC is legal, do they clarify to what caliber or capacity is allowed?
    Not as it pertains specifically to OC, no. States with weapon restrictions apply those restrictions regardless of CC or OC. Whatever you can CC, you can also OC, plus rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Short answer, is it will vary from state to state, if it is legal for CC, it should be legal for OC.
    Nope. Can't OC handguns in TX. As always..check state laws
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    We don't have OC in SC yet, but was curious about what they say is permissable to carry?

I remember an old show I used to love and I think it was Steve McQueen in "Wanted Dead Or Alive" He used to carry a sawed of shotgun or rifle (I am not sure since I was not a gun guru then, still ain't). He used to swivel that into action faster than anyone could fast draw a six shooter.

Back to my question, sorry.

Just curious if I travel to an OC state if I can bring my PX4 machine pistol
    Open carry is legal in my state but there doesn't seem to be much language in the statutes that would spell out any particulars. I do hope no one starts running stupid tests to the system such as aping Steve McQueen to see what happens, thus starting a crusade among those looking for more things to ban. The legal open carry status quo in my state, (Colorado), is fine. Your PX4 Storm won't be a problem for open carry if you're not misbehaving with it.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    While people claim there's no OC in FL (as I often do to avoid lengthy explanations, primarily hunting, fishing, camping), where legal, if you can carry it, you can carry it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    In VA t is illegal to open carry in some municipalities a pistol with a magazine that holds more than 20 or has a threaded barrel unless you have a CHP (Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit) Fairfax, Alexandria come to mind.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-287.4

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I thought federal law restricted alteration of barrel length?.

Sara Lou
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post

Sara Lou
    I thought federal law restricted states from passing any kind of restrictions, "shall not be infringed" and all.
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.

In Louisiana, what's strange is that one can OC at 17 without a CHL, but to CC, one must be 21 or over, and have a CHL. My 17 year old daughter sometimes OC.
    oldman45 likes this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

In Texas you can open carry a rifle (Though some local LEOS sometimes get bent out of shape over it), but not a hand gun (yet).
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post

Sara Lou
    Only to the extent of length limitations. 18" for shotguns, 16" for rifles. Any shorter, and the firearm becomes an NFA item... So if you have a shotgun with a 26" barrel, you can legally remove 8" of barrel.
    Aceoky and CIBMike like this.
    The Opinion of others I very little regard, & have a thorough Contempt for all men, be their Names Characters & Stations what they may, who appear to be the irreclaimable Enemies of Religion & Liberty.
    -Samuel Adams

Open carry is legal in Oregon for anyone eighteen or older. Open carrying in Oregon can get confusing. Cities and counties can ban open carry and some do in places like parks. If you have a Concealed Handgun License, you can open carry in areas where the city or county has banned it. You cannot operate a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle in Oregon while carrying a loaded firearm. If you have a Concealed Handgun License, you can open carry a loaded firearm while operating a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle. The only restrictions on what you can carry are the federal restrictions.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links