Books-A-Million Is Carry-Friendly

This is a discussion on Books-A-Million Is Carry-Friendly within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...now. A buddy of mine open carries pretty regularly. A couple of weeks ago, he went into our local BAM to do some shopping, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Books-A-Million Is Carry-Friendly

...now.

A buddy of mine open carries pretty regularly. A couple of weeks ago, he went into our local BAM to do some shopping, and was harassed by another customer, who tried to goad him into an argument over a parking spot earlier.

Once inside, she followed him around, and kept complaining to staff, until a manager approached him, and suggested he lock his gun in his truck. He refused, and left.

After a lengthy phone call to their corporate complaint department, he got a call back a week later, from the regional director, who not only had a discussion with the stores in her region, but contacted corporate, who issued a directive to the entire company. So it seems like they're going the Walmart route; all stores will abide by state laws concerning the carry of guns.

So, I guess that's pretty cool.

We don't have OC here but as i kiddingly call them Bunch A Books,the one i go to sometimes,doesn't have the no gun sign.

What's a book? Is that like an old Kindle?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Pretty soon here we're gonna have to give special member status to people who were born in the 20th century.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

TRX
    ...pretty much, except it doesn't need batteries, or an internet connection, or have copy protection. In fact, mostly made with all-natural organic, sustainable materials, and readable with natural or artificial light.

Books-A-Million, at least the one we had that finally folded a few years back, is the place where old books go to die, after the warehouses decide they're not worth the storage space. Sure, there'll be some NYT "best sellers" in racks up front, with the tchochkis and videos, but after that it's just "Amazing DOS 3.1" and "Prodigy for Dummies." And they were all priced at full retail, sometimes with an additional price increase to adjust for inflation.

I dunno, all this paper and electronic ephemera... get it wet, or any of a dozen other occurences, and it's gone. Baked clay, now *that* is permanent storage! They're still digging four thousand year old baked clay tablets out of the ground; how long do you think that stack of backup tapes and DVDs is going to be readable?

Distinguished Member
    I carry (cc) in my local BAM here all the time and I see lots of people OCing here in the store. I've even heard an employee tell a gentleman he had a nice pistol. I guess it's what area you happen to be in. Around here no body says much of anything.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    Used to OC carry at BAM here in Richmond all the time, uintil they closed them all.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Its an acronym for "Bio-Optic Organized Knowledge" device (B.O.O.K.). These devices are pre-loaded with different subject matter, they do not require batteries or other power sources, but they may not be suitable for use under extreme low light conditions. (Warning: They may be flammable, and should not be held too close to open flames.)

I hope this helps.

John W in SC

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    And that's how corporate businesses should handle it; what's good at one is good at all. They will, of course, base the firearm policy on what's best for their businesses, but at least it makes for continuity throughout its stores. "Based on state law" is the easiest decision. That gives them an out: "We were complying with the law."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I have been in BAM often while OCing. Not once has there been a problem with either employees or customers.

FWIW: A Kindle does not allow for sharing books with non Kindle owners. Nor does it allow for having an autographed copy.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

My wife and I frequently patronize the BAM store in Terrible Haute, especially the Joe Muggs coffee shop. While I have always CC there, I would not OC in that liberal environment. As I've stated many times before, Terrible Haute is a really weird place on the Indiana map.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    My wife and I frequently patronize the BAM store in Terrible Haute, especially the Joe Muggs coffee shop. While I have always CC there, I would not OC in that liberal environment. As I've stated many times before, Terrible Haute is a really weird place on the Indiana map.
    May I ask why you let liberals dictate what you do? If OC is legal, why would there be a problem?

I have been shocked to the core about the positive reactions to laws being passed across the US that allows OC. Only anti gunners have made any resistance to the new laws. No OCers have been shot for carrying. No robbers have shot OCers because they were carrying.

Consider that the only exposure many people have to guns being in the law abiding citizens hands are those that see OCers not hurting anything. Others here, as well as myself, have asked seriious questions about firearms by persons wanting to know about being introduced to guns. The best way to convert an anti gun person is to take them shooting. Letting one see that guns are not the problem when well intentioned, legal citizens carry gives the pro gun side better publicity. A CC does nothing to promote gun safety or ownership to others.

Please do not let fear of what others would think or say deprieve you of living life as you want. You can be the role model influence in their lives.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    Pretty soon here we're gonna have to give special member status to people who were born in the 20th century.
    I'll volunteer to be the first one in that line.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    My wife and I frequently patronize the BAM store in Terrible Haute, especially the Joe Muggs coffee shop. While I have always CC there, I well,would not OC in that liberal environment. As I've stated many times before, Terrible Haute is a really weird place on the Indiana map.
    Well, our area is pretty ripe with NY/NJ transplants, and is one of the few counties that consistently votes Democrat. The Northeastern corner of PA is as liberal as it gets here, outside of Philly.

As a result, people who open carry here are more likely to run into resistance, and have bad encounters with the public. In my opinion, this is more of a reason to do it. I'm not about to let a bunch of bedwetting transplants and libberal idiots dictate to me how to live my life.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    May I ask why you let liberals dictate what you do? If OC is legal, why would there be a problem?
    When my wife and I venture out in public we like to keep a low profile and blend in with the scenery, so-to-speak. "Liberals" do not dictate their unsubstantiated feel-good opinions to us, because we don't tolerate such abuse. But Terrible Haute has four colleges loaded with twits, and it is inundated with Illinois residents who travel here to shop and work. And even though a few privileged citizens can now carry concealed in Illinois, most of these Illinois inhabitants think of the Wabash Valley as Illiana, along with the local media, and, to them, nice people don't carry handguns, let alone OC them.

No, it isn't the left-wingers we dread encountering, it's the mentally defective members of local LE we fear being called down on us by the snickering libtards. While at the firing range, a veteran LEO and I had the pleasant opportunity to engage in a most enlightening conversation about the T.H.P.D. and Vigo County Sheriff's department. It is a fact that due to political connections and nepotism, an increasing number of psycho power mongers and control freaks are being allowed to slip through the psychological screening process and are being armed with badges and firearms. These miscreants enjoy hurting people. And they will verbally abuse a citizen in a effort to provoke enough resentment to physically injure them. This is why I will not OC a firearm in Terrible Haute. I don't want to end-up being beaten to a pulp by some steroid abusing creep with a badge who just doesn't feel I need to be carrying a handgun. This is also why I now fear the local police as much as I do thugs.

I have been shocked to the core about the positive reactions to laws being passed across the US that allows OC. Only anti gunners have made any resistance to the new laws. No OCers have been shot for carrying. No robbers have shot OCers because they were carrying.

Consider that the only exposure many people have to guns being in the law abiding citizens hands are those that see OCers not hurting anything. Others here, as well as myself, have asked seriious questions about firearms by persons wanting to know about being introduced to guns. The best way to convert an anti gun person is to take them shooting. Letting one see that guns are not the problem when well intentioned, legal citizens carry gives the pro gun side better publicity. A CC does nothing to promote gun safety or ownership to others.

Please do not let fear of what others would think or say deprieve you of living life as you want. You can be the role model influence in their lives.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links