Got asked if I had a permit.

This is a discussion on Got asked if I had a permit. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I go into the woods I open carry my m&p9 and a extra mag. Went mushroom hunting with no luck today. Wife and I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Got asked if I had a permit.

When I go into the woods I open carry my m&p9 and a extra mag. Went mushroom hunting with no luck today. Wife and I drove my subaru wrx to the local national forest. All gravel roads and very remote for Indiana. Parked on the side of the road and headed off on foot.

We walked around for a while and decided to find a better location. Walking over the ridge I could see flashing blue lights and to my surprise it's was a LEO sitting behind my car. As I get closer he notices me as he is looking at my license plate. I walk up and ask how I'm doing and I ask the same. He ask if I have a weapon and it is obvious that I do. Ask if I have a permit and I respond with yes. Let's me know I'm illegally parked and there is no parking through this stretch of road. I apologize not realizing my mistake.

He says he is going to give me a break and ask to see my drivers license and handgun license. I obviously handed them over considering I was breaking the law. We chit chat for a bit about mushroom hunting and let's me go on my way.

Good end especially since I wasn't ticketed. Very nice officer and he did not overreact about my handgun. Not all cop stops go wrong!
    Last edited by Addictedhealer; April 27th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.

Good. This is how things are supposed to go.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I used to live in Goshen and most people don't realize there are parts of IN that are not farmland and very remote. It's good you didn't get "ticked" or "ticketed" either one.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Have known of a couple of who've had run-ins with forestry personnel around here in the Cherokee National Forest. One even had his M66 4" seized on the spot and could have almost bought a new one for what it cost to get his back. There's a lot of remote territory, a lot of dope grown, but they don't want you to carry because you might be tempted to "poach" something out of season. There have been arrests. So, you technically give up your natural right to self-protection when entering. Don't get it...not gonna poach deer with a 9mm, but would like something more intense than harsh language for boar and bear.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Glad it worked out. Sounds like you both handled things well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Glad things went smoothly. Never been asked myself.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Good deal...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedhealer View Post
    ... into the woods ... local national forest ... gravel roads and very remote ... Parked on the side of the road and headed off on foot.
    And that's deemed unlawful?

Criminalized for parking off a remote road, posing no threat to others. Hm.

Glad that it was handled in the manner it was. It's not as though you were doing anything wrong, or impacting anyone.
    Badey, Navydude, manolito and 3 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Was it posted, "no parking"

I used to live in Indiana. Still have my expired CHL somewhere. I could have sworn it was an open carry state (no permit required). Maybe I'm just thinking of Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idodishez View Post
    I used to live in Indiana. Still have my expired CHL somewhere. I could have sworn it was an open carry state (no permit required). Maybe I'm just thinking of Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IN is OC with permit.

Indiana | OpenCarry.org
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I did the same many years ago only not for mushrooms, it was for swimming in a creek. There were a number of other cars parked there also but mine had the ticket. Reason being, one wheel was slightly on the asphalt.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ďA nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.Ē
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isnít an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    IN is OC with permit.

Indiana | OpenCarry.org
    Just a point of clarity...
    IN allows open carry with an IN permit, or a permit from another state (as long as THAT state allows OC). My son lives in IN and OC's all the time. When I visit with my FL permit (which does not allow OC), I cannot OC in IN.
    Always clearly know the laws of the state you are visiting.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedhealer
    Into the woods....local national forest...gravel roads and very remote..... Parked on the side of the road and headed off on foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And that's deemed unlawful?

Criminalized for parking off a remote road, posing no threat to others.
    Hm.

Glad that it was handled in the manner it was. It's not as though you were doing anything wrong, or impacting anyone.
    I'm with CCW. Did the good LEO point out the No Parking sign to you? I would have liked to have seen that myself.

I think the LEO was bored until he spotted your rig. Then he ran your plate and it came back you had a handgun license. So what's up with that? Does Indiana mandate one get (pay for) a license to purchase a handgun (like Illinois)? If that's the case I say what a crock of stinky malarkey. What you call a very nice officer because he did not give you a No Parking ticket on a remote stretch of road in a national forest... A polite well mannered dick is still a dick. YMMV.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    Just a point of clarity...
    IN allows open carry with an IN permit, or a permit from another state (as long as THAT state allows OC). My son lives in IN and OC's all the time. When I visit with my FL permit (which does not allow OC), I cannot OC in IN.
    Always clearly know the laws of the state you are visiting.
    Bizarre. Always try to make sure I know the laws of the other state when I carry out-of-state. Wouldn't have expected that one!
    gatorbait51 and oneshot like this.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links