Bill Jordan holsters?

Bill Jordan holsters?

This is a discussion on Bill Jordan holsters? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys! Well I've suffered long enough with my... economical... BLACKHAWK! brand Wal-Mart special nylon holster that I bought for my Ruger GP100 with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bill Jordan holsters?

Bill Jordan holsters?

Hey guys!

Well I've suffered long enough with my... economical... BLACKHAWK! brand Wal-Mart special nylon holster that I bought for my Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel. Concerning the revolver, I adore it but will be trading it in towards the same gun but with a 4" bbl when I can find one again. The 6" tube is too muzzle heavy and bulky for my needs. But back to the holster-

The BLACKHAWK! holster is not that great, and I've been looking into some quality leather for when I get my GP100 with a 4" barrel. But you see, I'm not so well versed in the world of holsters...

What I'm looking for specifically is more of a "duty" or "police" style holster for my gun. The holster will be used for open carrying around the home and my yard as well as maybe while hunting and for taking into the creek for target shooting fun and hiking. Also will be used in open carry in town while going to the range. Basically concealability is of 0 concern, and I've been examining my options for a good duty style holster for my GP100 and I've come across an interesting design called the "Border Patrol" holster that was originally developed by Bill Jordan.

The leather firm Tex Shoemaker makes a version of this holster that looks very nice and it gets good reviews. I really like the design of the holster and it looks very cool and useful. But, before I fork over the $100+ for the thing I have some questions that hopefully you guys can answer:

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Border Patrol style holster?
    2. Is Tex Shoemaker a good company to deal with? Is it worth the $?
    3. Are there any other "duty" style holsters that I should look at? Or is the Border Patrol holster a winner?

I hope to learn something from this thread,

Thanks!
    5lima30ret likes this.

Never mind. I misread the post. Sorry.
    Join the NRA and TSRA

I've been using for years a GALCO PHX104.

Are you deliberately looking for a holster with a thumb break? Those things are often called "suicide straps" because of their propensity to get the user killed when (s)he goes to draw and forgets the gun is strapped in. Other than that the holster looks okay but I've never heard of the maker. Lots and lots of OWB holsters out there, to be sure. Galco would be a good bet as well. They make rigs for your gun and their stuff is very high quality for off-the-rack leather. Plus lots of gun and sporting goods shops stock Galco, so you may be able to try one locally.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I have for my Dan Wesson(s), which equate to a S&W L frame;

S&W B501 leather,
    Don Hume H720 paddle snubby, leather,
    Bucheimer border patrol , leather
    and a more modern Safariland duty 070 K92 (patent leather/vinyl)

They work great and all were found used in good condition on ebay for about $20 or less.
    Yes, much better than a cheap nylon from Blackhawk or Uncle Mikes. I'll try to get pics up later.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Excellent old shool

First, Tex Shoemaker is a first class outfit. Their Bill Jordan holster varies from the original by Don Hume in that it comes with a straight shank rather than a pre-curved shank. The theory is this allows you to custom shape the shank to your personal liking. It's a little bit of a PITA to do but as Don Hume no longer makes it, this is the way it is.

Second, for your stated use the Bill Jordan style holster will work well. Many of us carried them in the good old days. Some of us still do under some circumstances. I still have and use a Bill Jordan style holster (I have 4, one by Tex Shoemaker) when 4 wheeling, horseback riding, and trail walking.
    Note that for a 6 inch barrel the low riding Jordan will dig into the seat of your truck and push the belt way up. In the old days a swivel style was available to negate this problem but as far as I know no one makes a swivel style anymore.

As for a thumb break, I am of the pro thumb break school and would not want anything less even for concealed carry. While I never plan on losing a gun in a tussle or a fall, Murphy is alive. Much like releasing the thumb safety on a Colt 1911, if one practices it becomes second nature. If one does not practice, shame on them.

My "old school" $.02. OMMV.

The Jordan "RIVER HOLSTER" was a good choice many, many moons ago. It's not a bad police holster but IMO a not so good field holster. The idea that a holster with a retention strap is a widow maker was limited to way back when they forst became popular. These days and in the recent past the police have been wearing retention holsters.

I am very much a holster guy. I put as much into holster choice as I do when choosing a firearm. Like my firearm the holster is a tool. I define my holsters by the my for lack of a better word my mission of the day, or at the time. I classify them as concealment, field, duty and dress up holsters. What your describing in my opinion is a field holster. Comfortable to carry all the time, good protection for the gun in the field as well in town. My suggestion would be one of several. A S&W, Hunter, Buchiemer-clarke and another few holster makers made the same pattern field holster The holster for 4 to 6 inch revolvers , the gun rides deep in the holster. The holster has a neutral cant, and works strong side or cross draw. there is a retention strap to hold the gun in the holster. The gun and holster can be placed on and removed from the belt without removing the gun as the belt loop has tabs that wrap and snap around the front. The gun rides mid belt where only the grip panel is above the belt, the cylinder is belt level, and the barrel rides below the belt.

My only other suggestions would be a flap holster, or a semi-flap. I guess you could find them on line, I also highly recomend something called a tanker holster. This is a version of the WWII shoulder/chest holster worn by tankers, pilots, officers, and others. You can get one made for any gun of any barrel length from ElPaso sadelry (sp). This holster can be worn cross draw or strong side.

One other consideration is spare ammo. Anytime you carry, it's my opinion that you should carry spare ammo. I prefer loop carrriers.. it may make me look a bit agressive, and like a cowboy, but thats what I like. Common sense would dictate speed loaders in pouches, not pocket.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    The Jordan-style Border Patrol was great for LE work, probably not so great for non-LE. If you are wanting something sort of retro that works well for carry and looks good you might look into some of the modified Tom Threepersons designs. Shoemaker is good, also look at El Paso Saddlery. Lots of companies will make some version of a leather holster that should meet your needs, but IMO the Border Patrol design should go to the back of the pack. It was a good design for what it was needed for and when it was designed, but unless you are a police officer needing to worry about carrying in a car while wearing a Tuffy-Jac or such a more normal belt carry is probably indicated. FWIW, most places will do their holster in either the strap design or the thumb break.

That is not a true Jordan Holster. The Jordan did not have a thumb snap, it had a strap that was supposed to hold the revolver in the holster. The holster was designed by Bill as a quick draw rig and for that it was excellent. It was very popular with the BP when we carried revolvers. I never cared for it, having been a big city cop before I went to the BP I used my Safariland model 29, which kept the gun high and tight. The Jordans flopped around alot if you ran or wrestled with anyone.

They obtained the widow maker rep because they had zero retention ability, then guns would frequently fall out of the holster during vigorous activity and anyone who grabbed the gun usually got it. This was all made worse because of the drop and cant guys would rest their elbow on the holster pushing down stretching the leather.

I do prefer the thumbsnap, but that is one holster I will pass on.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I carried a Jordan Border Patrol holster for my Model 19 back in the late 60's early 70's as a duty holster.

It's now 2014 and many advances in the holster making craft have been made.

I do not and have not used holsters that did not cover the trigger guard for many moons.

All my holsters now are CCW holsters. Form fitted to the particular firearm with covered trigger guards and tension screws on most.

All that said my last field holster was a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster for a 4" S&W 686 and I really like the set up.

Lots of good manufactures out in the market place in this day and age. I have included Simply Rugged's web site for you to take a look at what they officer.

A bit of "old school" updated for the current times.

Simply Rugged Holsters ? Holsters, Gun Belts, Ammo Pouches and Accessories

Regards,

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Fobus builds a kydex paddle holster that will keep that GP100 secure and high and tight to your hip and it will last you forever

Thanks all! I'm currently looking at the El Paso Saddelry #2 "Thumbreak" duty holster after reading some opinions on the Jordan holsters. I'm not so sure that I want the gun flopping around! Does this holster look like a better idea?
    Bad Bob likes this.

Administrator
    For what you are looking for....save yourself some $$$

Used Ruger GP100 4" Black Leather Holster Fits 2" Belt Right Hand Each G982 | eBay
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    For what you are looking for....save yourself some $$$

Used Ruger GP100 4" Black Leather Holster Fits 2" Belt Right Hand Each G982 | eBay
    Thanks QK but I'm looking for some quality gun leather. No thumb snap and beat up old sweaty police trade in holster? GA-ROSS!!!

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugeroo357 View Post
    Thanks all! I'm currently looking at the El Paso Saddelry #2 "Thumbreak" duty holster after reading some opinions on the Jordan holsters. I'm not so sure that I want the gun flopping around! Does this holster look like a better idea?
    The #2 is a classic design. You might also look at the #77 Tortilla. Make sure you specify the loop size to fit your belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links