Chipotle style open carry event.

This is a discussion on Chipotle style open carry event. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please vote yes if you think they help gun owners or no if you think the hurt gun owners....

View Poll Results: Chipolte style open carry events help gun owners.

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 5.76%
  • No

131 94.24%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Chipotle style open carry event.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Please vote yes if you think they help gun owners or no if you think the hurt gun owners.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

VIP Member
    This topic is being beaten to death in a few other threads, but just to clarify my "no" - I firmly believe in the right to OC and I believe that certain types of public events can raise awareness of our cause. With this said, what happened in TX was an intentionally provocative event that turned off a lot of moderate gun supporters. That is no way to win opinions or support. Those two were idiots and ended up hurting other gun owners.

NO!!!

You only get one chance to make a good first impression; that is a sure way to THROW IT AWAY.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Open carry a pistol- Yes

Open carry a long gun- you'd better be actively hunting or in a war zone
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

It does nothing to help anyone. Look at the people doing this type of thing. Typically 20 something males. More testosterone than sense and their fathers need to call their sons, schedule a visit, and smack the crap out of them for being morons. That is what my dad did all through my childhood, which is why I didn't do stupid things like that.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

NO! They hurt way, way more than they help. I'm all for open carry but do not abuse this right and that is what these two idiots did.
    SCXDm9, gatorbait51 and tdave like this.

If your open carry event results in thousands more "Gun-Free Zones", you are doing it wrong!
    PatAz, gatorbait51, tdave and 3 others like this.

opencarrydoofus.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I can jump off a cliff if I so desire, but I don't. Yes I can OC a long arm in Texas, but I don't. That is no way to gain friends or influence people.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

VIP Member
    It appears those on this forum who oppose such demonstrations outnumber those who favor them by about fifteen to one. That alone makes me wonder how we managed to take the topic up to nearly five hundred posts on another thread.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Yes, can work just fine.

But it can (obviously) be detrimental if either (1) acting like a goof, (2) acting less than professional and normal about being there, and/or (3) someone gets truly bent about seeing any such thing. The first two we can control. The last one is up to the gods and the comparative sanity of the people who happen to be there at the time of the gathering.

That said, do I believe that coming for photo ops and acting flamboyantly to a shop with customers is the best way to garner support for the concept? No. Do I know exactly how these visitors to the Chipotle restaurant behaved over the course of the entire encounter? No, am simply going on what's been reported in a couple of new articles. Who knows how complete or accurate either of those has been.

I've been to several meet-ups at restaurants, parks and other publicly-accessible places. Have not yet encountered true vehemence, nor has the group been asked to leave, nor has anyone apparently gotten truly bent at the venue. But then, each and every meet-up I've joined hasn't looked so very different from any other group at the spot at the time, with the sole exception of being visibly armed. Not a lot different than going not-visibly armed, really. The only difference is: people's perceptions prejudices, and the degree to which they have a handle on things. Of course, all of this gets tossed into the wind, in the case of someone blowing the situation by acting like a goof, showing off, forcing a situation, not acting in a fairly discreet or upstanding manner. Carry needn't be the killer, in a situation. Just needs to be done with some accommodation of the reality others will bring while they're there.

BTW, I've open carried to quite a number of spots while with others who were also open carrying. Including to an Appleby's restaurant, a couple of large pizza joints, a handful of coffee shops (including Starbuck's), a few city parks in metro areas, to the state capitol grounds and steps, to rallies at public (city/county owned) venues, and probably a handful of others I can't recall. Never a problem. Quite often, many questions were asked by others who saw the group and wondered what was up. Never a MWAG call. On a couple occasions with gatherings outdoors, a couple of police were discreetly keeping a watch on the area to ensure it was going to plan. Never had an interruption or heavy handling by LE in any such gathering. This, in two different states' worth of venues across many years.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For me... Concealed means concealed....

I think the OC of long guns tends to get us put into a poor light. Unfortunately, there is a large populace of folks that think they are trying to help us but tend to be that loud guy in the room that everyone wishes would confine his conversation to himself.

I know the anti folks tend to be allowed to protest like idiots with no resistance and when we protest, someone ends up in cuffs. If we were not armed and protesting we would be less likely to have issue, but that, wrong or right, is the way things are at this point in time.

For the time being I Protest through vote and via wallet.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Around here we refer to it as playing chess vs checkers... it's a long term strategy, one wrong move can throw you back a long way, which is what these folks are doing.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I voted no but that does not mean I am against open carry. There are times when it is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    It does nothing to help anyone. Look at the people doing this type of thing. Typically 20 something males. More testosterone than sense and their fathers need to call their sons, schedule a visit, and smack the crap out of them for being morons. That is what my dad did all through my childhood, which is why I didn't do stupid things like that.
    As Mister Smolck so eloquently stated both of these idiots need a trip behind the woodshed and have some sense spanked into them or knocked into them. When I was too old and spankings weren't having the desired effect my folks gave me yardwork to do. To this day (I'm 61)
    I pretty much HATE yardwork unless I'm getting paid for it. TBT actually I enjoy some aspects of tree and brush work. After running the Stihl and loading brush or splitting wood (with a 40T power splitter) I'm pretty well done in but I usually feel good for the accomplishment of a job well done.

The large guy with the AR needs a lesson or several lessons in how to dress like a man. The other one with the AK needs to chuck the kid glasses and have his mom or dad buy him some decent clothes like one would wear to a job interview or church. JOMO.

Mister LARGE needs to drop a hundred pounds or so as well. Mister Short IMHO is a lost cause.

I am all for OC of handguns in a proper holster. Unless you're hunting or in a combat zone leave the rifles in the safe.
    PatAz, gatorbait51, RT and 5 others like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links