POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a sidearm

POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a sidearm

This is a discussion on POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a sidearm within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a simple, unscientific poll to get a feel for respondents' opinions on their comfort level regarding carrying a sidearm visibly ... and being ...

View Poll Results: Under what situations are you comfortable being seen to be open carrying a sidearm?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • While out by myself.

47 41.59%
  • While out with one or two others who are also carrying.

25 22.12%
  • While out with a larger number of others who are also carrying.

24 21.24%
  • While at prearranged gatherings, such as VCDL meetings.

21 18.58%
  • While at prearranged "events" such as a town barbeque or festival at the waterfront.

19 16.81%
  • While at prearranged "protest" events.

11 9.73%
  • While at prearranged "protest" events where it's a highly-charged topic.

8 7.08%
  • Only while having previously vetted the venue for advance approval.

7 6.19%
  • Only so long as all sidearms stay holstered.

27 23.89%
  • Only so long as all photo opportunities are avoided.

7 6.19%
  • The venue matters, as some venues are simply inappropriate for open carry.

72 63.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a sidearm

Question POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a sidearm

This is a simple, unscientific poll to get a feel for respondents' opinions on their comfort level regarding carrying a sidearm visibly ... and being seen to do so in public places.

Includes common, publicly-accessible spots such as restaurants, shops, parks, walking down the street, or anywhere else you might normally go ... whether just by yourself or with others.

Ignore for a moment any recent situations you might have read about, heard about, discussed. This is about how you personally feel heading out while openly carrying a defensive sidearm.

Note: This poll is strictly about sidearms and has zero to do with long arms of any kind. This also presumes you're comfortable with open carry for yourself, if you respond. All others need not respond. This for those who do carry openly, to explore where your limits are and what conditions you yourself would carry. it is not for those who'd do no such thing. For those sorts ... move along, as there's nothing to muck up here.

Question: Under what situations are you comfortable being seen to be visibly, openly carrying a sidearm?

Check all that apply.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; May 24th, 2014 at 02:58 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm really not into open carry. I support it in principal, but prefer to be discreet, except on my property, where I do so frequently. I voted for only as long as all sidearms remain holstered, although one would think that was a given for safety reasons.
    NRA Life Member

I open carry or concel carry depending on weather, people/places/current political climate have no berring on what I do or not do. (Within the "Law")
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

July 1st Kansas will become an OC state. I am sure there will be times when I OC how ever I prefer to remain concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    I'm really not into open carry. I support it in principal, but prefer to be discreet, except on my property, where I do so frequently. I voted for only as long as all sidearms remain holstered, although one would think that was a given for safety reasons.
    What Bama said.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

In his comments on the Chipotle OC event, Jon Stewart made the following remarks - and yes, we know that he was not speaking extemporaneously, but rather was reading from a script off a telepromter that was written by professional comedy writers. No need to point that out.

We all know the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, but here's the problem with open carrying of assault rifles: no one else in that Chipotle knows you're a good guy, they just know you have a gun. And here's the thing – even if you put your gun up and go 'Don't worry everybody we're good guys' ... that's the type of thing a clever bad guy might say.
    It's a fair point. If I'm out shopping or at a restaurant and I see you're wearing a firearm on your side, you are now my number-one subject of interest. Of all possible threats to my person, you are numero uno. How do I know you're not going to draw and fire on me? What sets you off? Orange shirts? Cackling? Bad puns? I don't know. But maybe you're like some sort of jittery horse that gets 'spooked' by loud noises, sudden movement. So I have to be extra careful in your vicinity.

At venues like IPSC or IDPA matches, OC is fine. Very comfortable carrying open in such places, as it's normal and everybody else is doing it.
    gatorbait51, Pinot and G26Raven like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I open carry most of the time, I use a secure retention rig,it's not there for "show", there are places were i will conceal for simple courtesy reasons.
    BamaT, gatorbait51 and RCR like this.

VIP Member
    The venue matters, as some venues are simply inappropriate for open carry.

This is how I voted, simply because it was as accurate a description of what I felt.

I only open carry when up in the woods hunting by the cabin, or hunting at home, or cutting the grass &/or working around the house property, etc.
    And even then it may even be covered, if even haphazardly by a shirt or cover garment that may have the buttons undone or whatnot.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I strongly lean toward "none of the above." I would be unwilling to open carry under the scenarios on the list. I'm like BamaT. I support it in principle ... for benefit of somebody else.

The only situation in which I'm going to carry openly is far out in the country, while hiking, fishing, or hunting on my own place, or on land under my control.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I strongly lean toward "none of the above." I would be unwilling to open carry under the scenarios on the list. I'm like BamaT. I support it in principle ... for benefit of somebody else.

The only situation in which I'm going to carry openly is far out in the country, while hiking, fishing, or hunting on my own place, or on land under my control.
    I agree with bmcgilvray. Consequently considering the options, I didn't vote.
    gatorbait51 and shockwave like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

The venue does matter...it's already limited here in FL, except for when one is hunting or fishing, and then it is probably still concealed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I never OC, but didn't see that one as a poll option.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Open carry does not bother me at all...anywhere. An armed law abiding citizen is only that. Mr. Stewarts argument is not a valid one.

Distinguished Member
    Why give the bad guy that advantage knowing who can hurt him and who can't. I think one of the big advantages I have with concealed carry is I look like an old guy who would be no problem to the bad guy. If I have a gun exposed I would be one of the first people he would pay attention to. Just my thoughts. I carry my pistol concealed when hunting with a long gun.

Personally, I prefer to conceal carry. It affords me less attention from other people.
    gatorbait51 and Pinot like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links