POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a long arm

POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a long arm

This is a discussion on POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a long arm within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a simple, unscientific poll to get a feel for respondents' opinions on their comfort level regarding carrying a long arm visibly ... and ...

View Poll Results: Under what situations are you comfortable being seen to be open carrying a long arm?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • While out by myself.

4 5.80%
  • While out with one or two others who are also carrying.

6 8.70%
  • While out with a larger number of others who are also carrying.

7 10.14%
  • While at prearranged gatherings, such as VCDL meetings.

6 8.70%
  • While at prearranged "events" such as a town barbeque or festival at the waterfront.

3 4.35%
  • While at prearranged "protest" events.

9 13.04%
  • While at prearranged "protest" events where it's a highly-charged topic.

4 5.80%
  • Only while having previously vetted the venue for advance approval.

8 11.59%
  • Only so long as all long arms stay holstered/slung.

10 14.49%
  • Only so long as all photo opportunities are avoided.

3 4.35%
  • The venue matters, as some venues are inappropriate for open carry.

63 91.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a long arm

Question POLL: Your preference for visibly carrying a long arm

This is a simple, unscientific poll to get a feel for respondents' opinions on their comfort level regarding carrying a long arm visibly ... and being seen to do so in public places.

Includes common, publicly-accessible spots such as restaurants, shops, parks, walking down the street, or anywhere else you might normally go ... whether just by yourself or with others.

Ignore for a moment any recent situations you might have read about, heard about, discussed. This is about how you personally feel heading out while openly carrying a defensive sidearm.

Note: This poll is strictly about the open carry of long arms and has zero to do with sidearms of any kind. You might well also be carrying a sidearm, either openly or concealed, but this poll is about the visible carry of long arms. This also presumes you're comfortable with open carry for yourself, if you respond. All others need not respond. This for those who do carry openly, to explore where your limits are and what conditions you yourself would carry. it is not for those who'd do no such thing. For those sorts ... move along, as there's nothing to muck up here.

Question: Under what situations are you comfortable being seen to be visibly, openly carrying a long arm?

Check all that apply.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; May 24th, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am not voting in this one, I will take my long guns to the range or out woods walking, but there is no reason to take one to town or just carry one of them around. if you see me out carrying a long gun it's about SHTF time and things are deadly serious

I went ahead and voted since I did comment, the venue really matters here

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    I am not voting in this one, I will take my long guns to the range or out woods walking, but there is no reason to take one to town or just carry one of them around. if you see me out carrying a long gun it's about SHTF time and things are deadly serious
    I totally agree with subhuman on his comment. I'll be in the woods or taking it to the range from my truck. My state is open carry but just not for me. No BG needs to know what I have.
    cjkent, RKflorida and NONAME762 like this.

I see no reason to take my long guns to town unless it is going to the gunsmith or to be sold.

I am not against open carry at all, I open carry all the time, but when I see somebody carrying a rifle out of hunting season I wonder what is wrong, a rifle is a fighting tool and is ment for serious problems, same with a shot gun, if you need a carry weapon for self defense you don't have to have a $600 pistol, take $200 and go buy a hi-point and pack that around on your hip. I have a rifle mounted in my truck and car and several around the house but I'm not carrying those big beast around all the time if i need them my pistol hopefully will let me fight my way to them.
    cjkent and CWOUSCG like this.

Would not carry a rifle openly in public except to get from the gun show to the vehicle, the vehicle to the range, or the vehicle to the back door. Would not carry a rifle to "make a statement."
    cjkent, RKflorida, OD* and 7 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    What bmcgilvray said.
    Last edited by oldnfat; May 24th, 2014 at 08:34 AM. Reason: text error
    cjkent and WannabeaCPA like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Well.... I'd need to be fully dressed and have brushed my teeth that morning. Deodorant would be a plus, but I can't think of anything else that would prevent me or make me uncomfortable about openly carrying a long arm in public.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I see no reason to carry long guns for the purpose of 'show'...to press a legal point. We've come a long way with RKBA, and some push that right when it is not necessary to do so.
    My long guns will be in the woods, in my home, or at the 'smith'.OMOYMV
    jkshelgore and thephanatik like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I only carry a long gun while I am hunting or at the range. I didn't see either of those options in the poll.
    RKflorida, SCXDm9, JDE101 and 1 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I'm with the above posters, I see no reason to carry a rifle or shotgun around town.
    SCXDm9 likes this.

I see no reason to carry a rifle around. This isn't 1864, the general pubic will never get use to people carrying long guns.
    SCXDm9 likes this.

I have no reason(s) to open carry my rifles in public.
    SCXDm9 likes this.

No reason to just carry it out in public.
    SCXDm9 likes this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

I think the long gun laws as they apply in Texas are good. I believe in the right to protest. I also think that pre planned events are fine as long as everyone knows what is going on. I would also like to see Texas adopt OC for handguns (Not that I would carry OC). I was going to my buddy misterfats membership range. we stopped at a fast food place for a quick bite. He took his rifle in with him and asked me to take picture. Yes it made me somewhat nervous.

misterfats123.jpg
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links