Weapon Retention...Do you practice?

This is a discussion on Weapon Retention...Do you practice? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious about the people who open carry on a regular basis, do you practice weapon retention? Are you prepared for a weapon grab? Do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Weapon Retention...Do you practice?

Just curious about the people who open carry on a regular basis, do you practice weapon retention? Are you prepared for a weapon grab? Do you have the proper holster to at least slow down a weapon grab attempt? I have no problem with people who open carry as long as it is legally done. People who do it for publicity only hurt our cause in my opinion. Getting your own weapon taken from you in public is bad enough I suppose but to get shot with it is really rubbing salt in the open wound. If you open carry I hope you have taken some sort of weapon retention classes. If not, something you might want to think about.
    JonAesir, Exacto and CommonCents like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Distinguished Member Array hdhnict's Avatar
    I don't OC anywhere but the gun range and while hunting.
    However, I do have a favorite OC holster.

Weapon retention is something everyone should be aware of and practice OC or CC.
    My weapon is for me and my protection. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

VIP Member
    Nearest I do to open carry is OWB under a long untucked shirt but my holsters have a retention system built in for the most part. I know several folks who always open carry and have done so for years. Those to whom I've spoken have NEVER had an issue come up.

I know it seems easy and would be likely to happen but the simple fact is ... it is rarer than hens teeth. How about cops? they open carry all the time. I've heard of them losing their weapon during a fight but someone just up and grabbing it? Have not read about that.

I think situational awareness is key for open carry and I think some form of retention is a good idea, I just don't think it is a common problem.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Your question seems focused on grabs from the holster during open carry. There are other situations in which your gun can be grabbed, including both a handgun not holstered and a long gun. You can wind up struggling over your gun (bad) or losing it completely (worse).

I practice both retention and disarming. They are two sides of the same coin, and learning one will help you with the other.

John W in SC
    Mike1956 likes this.

I know some people have the mindset that it will never happen to them. One reason for the scarcity is that open carry is not allowed everywhere. Retaining and disarming should be on everyone's training list.
    Badey likes this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I think weapon retention should be a function of the holster unless you're a professional who goes into danger (LE, Bodyguard, Soldier).

As to OC-ers 'seeking publicity' who are they? If everyone just let them, as law abiding citizens, carry on there'd be no 'publicity'. Also, in most states there are no laws either opposing or allowing open carry - it's not a permit-based activity but a Second Amendment right.

If you follow the 'three S' rule, there should not really be a need to practice 'Retention Tactics' .

And HERE IS A VERY IMPORTANT POINT - if you do practice additional tactics and skills like this how do you retain your skills unless you do it regularly? It's not easy to accomplish that. I'd rather spend my time on the range and just stay out of trouble areas. There's only so much time in the day for a casual LAC to train things. Two things will bring you out on top. Always have your firearm with you (and in good working order) and train with an armed partner. The rest is down in the 1%.

FWIW

Distinguished Member Array subhuman's Avatar
    Im pretty well schooled in slap and tickle, and spent a lot of my younger years wrestling and fighting and I'm big enough and fit enough to discourage most idiots from trying a grab, my blackhawk is locked into my pants and under my belt and is a class ll retention holster so nobody is just going to grab my pistol and snatch it out without me getting my hands on them after that it just depends on witch one of us is the meanest
    Techer40 likes this.

I get so tired of hearing how if you OC someone is going to grab your gun.

While you're working on all these scenario's, ponder on this one....
    Most BG's seek an easy target, an OC'er is, by default, NOT an easy target, the BG can see there is a very real risk of him getting hurt one way or another in an ensuing struggle.
    However, someone CC'ing is viewed as any other easy target because the BG doesn't know they are armed, so doesn't consider the possibility of getting hurt in the ensuing struggle.

Just a possible scenario of course, unlikely of course, but then, so is an OC'er getting their gun taken.....

Sara Lou
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

Quote Originally Posted by John_W_in_SC View Post
    Your question seems focused on grabs from the holster during open carry. There are other situations in which your gun can be grabbed, including both a handgun not holstered and a long gun. You can wind up struggling over your gun (bad) or losing it completely (worse).

I practice both retention and disarming. They are two sides of the same coin, and learning one will help you with the other.

John W in SC
    You nailed it all nicely. There is much more to gun retention than worrying about someone snatching it out of the holster, OC or otherwise.
    GWarden likes this.
    "If you don't want to get eaten, don't be food."

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick View Post
    Just curious about the people who open carry on a regular basis, do you practice weapon retention? Are you prepared for a weapon grab? Do you have the proper holster to at least slow down a weapon grab attempt? I have no problem with people who open carry as long as it is legally done. People who do it for publicity only hurt our cause in my opinion. Getting your own weapon taken from you in public is bad enough I suppose but to get shot with it is really rubbing salt in the open wound. If you open carry I hope you have taken some sort of weapon retention classes. If not, something you might want to think about.
    I have never heard of a non-LEO Oc'er getting their gun snatched from their holster.
    farsidefan1 and BurgerBoy like this.
    "If you don't want to get eaten, don't be food."

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    I get so tired of hearing how if you OC someone is going to grab your gun.

While you're working on all these scenario's, ponder on this one....
    Most BG's seek an easy target, an OC'er is, by default, NOT an easy target, the BG can see there is a very real risk of him getting hurt one way or another in an ensuing struggle.
    However, someone CC'ing is viewed as any other easy target because the BG doesn't know they are armed, so doesn't consider the possibility of getting hurt in the ensuing struggle.

Just a possible scenario of course, unlikely of course, but then, so is an OC'er getting their gun taken.....

Sara Lou

AMEN!

I have practiced both retention and disarming, not because I OC specifically, but because I carry. Gun grabs happen with CC too.
    DoneObject56 likes this.

My holster are usally either Kydex or by that point form fitted Leather so it would take a lot of effort to just yank it out ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    It's like this (for example):

Person A asks 'If I see a gang of people roughing up some dude and I run over with my gun to try and help him out they may try to take my weapon. So my solution is to take all kinds of SD classes, lift weights, do Force on Force training, and never OC and wear body armor'.

But wait - what if you just stayed away from places like that and minded your own business or call the cops? Gee, never thought of that.
    Qtip, Zralou and BurgerBoy like this.

Distinguished Member Array vice87's Avatar
    on the rare OC occasion, my holster would have a snap button(or whatever) at minimum.

in reality, i would be more concerned about retention after the weapon is already drawn. i keep it at my chest so it's go time whenever i need it.

appendix IWB, not really an issue with a grab but same applies, hand goes on the weapon and you move with the perp until you can break free. or use the BUG on your support side to slam some lead in their gut. NY reload style.
    I carry because zombies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links