Open Carry Groups Come Out Against Long Gun Carry In Businesses

This is a discussion on Open Carry Groups Come Out Against Long Gun Carry In Businesses within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Open Carry Groups Come Out Against Long Gun Carry In Businesses - Bearing Arms According to Guns Save Lives ( http://gunssavelives.net/press-relea...ng-gun-carry/# ), the leaders of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Open Carry Groups Come Out Against Long Gun Carry In Businesses

Open Carry Groups Come Out Against Long Gun Carry In Businesses - Bearing Arms

According to Guns Save Lives (http://gunssavelives.net/press-relea...ng-gun-carry/#), the leaders of Open Carry Texas are now officially coming out against the counterproductive carry of long guns into restaurants and other businesses:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Come and Take It Texas, Texas Carry, Gun Rights Across America and Open Carry Texas Joint Statement on OC of Long Arms – May 21, 2014

Over the past year, our members have done what no other organization has been able to do – put open carry at the forefront of the fight to restore gun rights for all Texans. As we have grown, we have had to adjust our efforts based on lessons learned through hundreds of open carry events, big and small...We are humbly and emphatically imploring our members to cease taking long arms into corporate businesses unless invited.

I agree with this. I am for open carry in Texas, and I want to also be able to carry a handgun openly, if I so choose, something which is not currently legal. But the open carrying of long guns into restaurants and other public venues will ultimately hurt the cause far more than it will help. The fallout from sheeple and antis will cause more entities to post 30.06 signs and to also announce Jack in the Box and Starbucks type bans. Just look at the growing list: Smashburger, Starbucks, Wendy’s, Jack In The Box, Applebees and most recently, Chipotle.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

People should realize that the actions of a few clowns does not represent the majority in Texas. I too, would love to see this pass in our great republic but the efforts of the groups in the front of the fight is hampered by several idiots.
    Last edited by JD; May 26th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Come and take it Texas. They may have missed it but as far as OC of a handgun Texas "took it" a very long time ago. Now what they didnt take, OC of a long gun, which was their choice btw, pro OC groups are wanting nobody to do what little OC ability they legally have left in Texas??
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I have always had visions of Texans wearing 10 gallon hats and Peacemakers slung low on cartridge belts most of my life, it was a sad day for me when I found out it wasn't so.

I believe folks should have a right to carry a weapon of choice, most anyway they wish.
    Just like we may carry other 'TOOLS' anywhere we wish. I can carry my Pliers and a screwdriver set, despite what others think... things often need fixing; maybe I'll need 'em maybe I won't.
    Even though it is quite legal, I would not carry my CHAINSAW, on its sling, into a restaurant or other business where folks may find it overly threatening. (a jury may agree I 'disturbed-the-peace')

If I tote an 8 shot shotgun &/or M16 into Town, it will mean I no longer care about the "Infringements" burdening me & Tyranny has arrived.

Until then, I can live well with a .45acp and a few mags, concealed... even though the law allows open-carry (not my preference), but the 'open-carry' law protects me in case the wind blows and exposes my holster in front of some uneducated, 'idealistic' soccer mom.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Those that choose to carry a long gun during these so called "open carry marches" are in reality just tearing down all that we have gained with the new CCW laws, in my opinion.

VIP Member
    Well obviously this OC group is anti gun and do not support the 2A as it is written.

They should continue to carry there AR's, SKS's, AK's, fake RPG's and belt fed weapons systems anytime and anywhere they want.....what's the worst that could happen?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I believe folks should have a right to carry a weapon of choice, most anyway they wish.
    Just like we may carry other 'TOOLS' anywhere we wish. I can carry my Pliers and a screwdriver set, despite what others think... things often need fixing; maybe I'll need 'em maybe I won't.
    Even though it is quite legal, I would not carry my CHAINSAW, on its sling, into a restaurant or other business where folks may find it overly threatening. (a jury may agree I 'disturbed-the-peace')

If I tote an 8 shot shotgun &/or M16 into Town, it will mean I no longer care about the "Infringements" burdening me & Tyranny has arrived.

Until then, I can live well with a .45acp and a few mags, concealed... even though the law allows open-carry (not my preference), but the 'open-carry' law protects me in case the wind blows and exposes my holster in front of some uneducated, 'idealistic' soccer mom.

Keep a box of shells handy. When something that is THE most basic right humans have and legal to boot, can be vilified by anti and sheep until one is afraid to do it.

And background checked, paid for, maybe issued, tested for CC permits are in any way spoken in the same breath with the RTKAB, by gun owners no less, that time may not be as far away as you think.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Ghost the problem is the folks speaking out about not doing it are not an anti gun group, they are the folks trying to further OC in Texas. When your owns peers are embarrassed by the actions of there "members" shouldn't we all take a moment to reflect on it?

Michigan Open Carry did the same thing and will not even allow the discussion of OC'ing of long guns on the forum or website.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    And if the 'open-carry' law did NOT protect you, and you exposed to an 'idealistic' soccer mom, then what?.

Sara Lou
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Ghost the problem is the folks speaking out about not doing it are not an anti gun group, they are the folks trying to further OC in Texas. When your owns peers are embarrassed by the actions of there "members" shouldn't we all take a moment to reflect on it?

Michigan Open Carry did the same thing and will not even allow the discussion of OC'ing of long guns on the forum or website.
    Tacman I do get where you and some others are coming from. And I realize that these groups arent anti gun. NRA wasnt anti gun either when they backed the GCA and NFA. I prefer to think they got caught up in all the hoopla that lead to those evil acts and thought they were on the right side. Obviously they werent. And realize it now.

Im just not one that thinks bowing or giving a quarter inch in any area is a good move. Especially when its brought on by anti yap dogs making noise.

I dont live in Texas. Here I can carry a rifle shotgun hand gun OC about any place I please and it will get no notice. A MWAG call over OC wont get a response except the caller being told its legal.

But in Texas, by Texas law, OC of a long gun is legal. Back peddling when the antis howl over a legal act I dont think will get anywhere except no OC for Texas and emboldened anti idiots.

No I dont think one needs to carry an AR to the burger joint for SD. But. That is what Texas left its citizens with if they do not want a CC permit. Not everyone does.
    And CC permits have zip to do with the RTKAB. They were not gains they were more infringements that we pay for to add insult to injury.

No human should have to have a permit to own, or cc or oc a firearm. And that is what all this please dont rock the legal long gun OC boat is about in Texas. Fear of 30.06 signs that should not have force of law behind them anymore than any other states should. Nothing to do with RTKAB. Just fear.

You dont make an omelet without breaking eggs. And you never accomplish anything going backwards out of fear.

JMO but we have backed up, bowed down, apologized for nothing we should have too. Texas chose that stupid law. It needs changed and it wont get changed as long as anti legislators and anti groups see us back up because they yowl.

It just bugs me to see it done again. And to see CC permits touted as gains when they are nothing but infringements we pay to have imposed on us. When we absolutely should not have to have them to carry a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    And if the 'open-carry' law did NOT protect you, and you exposed to an 'idealistic' soccer mom, then what?.

Sara Lou
    In Texas, accidental exposure of our concealed handgunis not considered 'brandishing' and carries no penalty. A license holder commits an offense if he or she intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place.

So you're ok if the winds blows and uncovers your handgun, or your shirt rides up getting out of your car. Even unintentional printing is ok.

It looks like open carry is going to pass in Texas, maybe as early as 2015. The front-runner for Governor says he supports it. Police groups in Texas don't have problems with it. It just needs a change in mindset. The aggressive actions of the open gun guerrillas might prevent the mindset from changing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    ...No I dont think one needs to carry an AR to the burger joint for SD...
    Not to pick on you, but since when do you get to decide how others should arm themselves for their own defense? Some people don't think any civilians need any kind of firearms for self defense- I don't see a difference.

Also, have you seen the threats that the Cartels are making in Texas? Those are some serious threats needing serious defenses.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Kvet View Post
    Not to pick on you, but since when do you get to decide how others should arm themselves for their own defense? Some people don't think any civilians need any kind of firearms for self defense- I don't see a difference.
    The difference, of course, is that he wasn't suggesting that his opinion should be made into law.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Whereas, our mission is to get open carry of handguns passed in Texas, we must once again adjust in a way that shines a positive light on our efforts, our members, and our respective organizations. We are humbly and emphatically imploring our members to cease taking long arms into corporate businesses unless invited.

This is wisdom and this is public relations practicality.

(I wish it were different, however) the carry of long arms into businesses scares people and it forces businesses to make a difficult choice. The carry of long arms into public businesses and places gives the antis (metaphorical) ammo to whip up public fears and calls for ever farther reaching restrictions.

Sidearms in holsters are (one suspects) less menacing in appearance. (Full disclosure, I do not O C, and it's not even legal here in Cali.)

Disagree my friend? No worries, I respect your opinion; and, perhaps you will respect mine.

nortelrye likes this.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links