Open Carry Person at Wal-Mart

Open Carry Person at Wal-Mart

This is a discussion on Open Carry Person at Wal-Mart within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife and I went to our local Wally World, over in Ohio to do some shopping. We both do Concealed Carry and were doing ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 1 Post By tdave
  • 1 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 1 Post By Bama61
  • 2 Post By rocky
  • 1 Post By Aceoky
  • 1 Post By Zralou

Thread: Open Carry Person at Wal-Mart

Thumbs up Open Carry Person at Wal-Mart

The wife and I went to our local Wally World, over in Ohio to do some shopping. We both do Concealed Carry and were doing that when I saw a man standing in an aisle with an openly displayed pistol in a nice plastic type holster.

He saw me looking and I gave him the "thumbs up" sign that I approve. I did engage him in conversation asking about the pistol, that turned out to be a Sig. He was former LEO and his wife was there too when my wife came around from the other aisle where she had gone. I said that I have a carry permit and had the S&W .380 Bodyguard on me and the wife has her LCR .357 Magnum.

He said that both he and his wife have permits but he sometimes prefers to open carry. We had a nice conversation, both he and his wife were the nicest people, not like the anti gun people want to portray as nut cases.

Needless to say, even though there was a "display" of a firearm, legally, nothing happened.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; May 29th, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I did not know you could OC in WVA . so a good story .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

See OC in Wally World all the time. It's their thing they can have at it. It's just not my thing.
    smolck likes this.

Good story. I've only seen one guy OC here and that was a friend of ours.

VIP Member
    Good story, I guess you can complain about all the made in china stuff there at Wally world but at least they don't have the old gun buster signs out and if you shop elsewhere its probably still from across the pond.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    It is surprising that OC in my state is legal yet I have never seen it in all my years of running around. Maybe I'm just not running around enough or in the right places.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Distinguished Member
    That's a good story. I see people OC'ing here at Wal-Mart a lot. No one ever even bats an eye.
    Aceoky likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Lead Moderator
    While legal here I have only spotted three people OC in a few years. I find it funny how most don't even notice an open carried gun.
    Aceoky and Rock and Glock like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    While legal here I have only spotted three people OC in a few years. I find it funny how most don't even notice an open carried gun.
    It is very common here- my wife and I like to watch all the folks who never even notice it when they're right next to someone who is OC - I used to wonder if they had just gotten so used to it they don't pay attention - now I believe they just don't pay any attention to anything going on around them .
    Zralou likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Good story. I wish OC was legal here in TX. I'd do it once to see but other than that I'll stick to CC.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

OC of handguns is legal, in TN, for permit holders. Im tempted to say that its as rare as spotting a unicorn, to see someone OC, here.

BUT, I dont really know. Up until recently, if someone looked like they could be LE, I just chalked it up to a LE guy carrying.

I think my attitude on what I have seen is really reflected by most people. That if the person looks "normal", or squared away, just going about their business, I dont think twice about them and seeing a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I did not know you could OC in WVA . so a good story .
    The Wally World we go to is in Ohio, across the Ohio River from where we live. I should have been more specific of the location. The guy and his wife live in Ohio.

WV is an open carry state.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    OC of handguns is legal, in TN, for permit holders. Im tempted to say that its as rare as spotting a unicorn, to see someone OC, here.

BUT, I dont really know. Up until recently, if someone looked like they could be LE, I just chalked it up to a LE guy carrying.

I think my attitude on what I have seen is really reflected by most people. That if the person looks "normal", or squared away, just going about their business, I dont think twice about them and seeing a weapon.
    I usually conceal, but I have opened carried here in TN a few times. No one has ever said anything or acted like anything was different. I only recall ever seeing 2 people open carrying (away from the range) in the last couple of years.

I see a woman OC'ing in Wal-Mart every weekend....

Ohh wait, thats me....

Sara Lou
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Links