Sonic & Chili's: Leave guns at home

This is a discussion on Sonic & Chili's: Leave guns at home within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chili's, which is owned by Brinker International (EAT), said Friday, "We kindly ask that guests refrain from openly carrying firearms into our restaurants and we ...

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree409Likes

Thread: Sonic & Chili's: Leave guns at home

Chili's, which is owned by Brinker International (EAT), said Friday, "We kindly ask that guests refrain from openly carrying firearms into our restaurants and we will continue to follow state and local laws on this issue."

Sonic (SONC) said, "We're asking that customers refrain from bringing guns onto our patios or into our indoor dining areas."

In recent months, gun enthusiasts have held rallies and openly carried firearms, including large automatic weapons, into restaurants. It's alarmed customers and led to campaigns against guns in restaurants from advocacy groups like "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America."

Earlier this month, Chipotle (CMG)said it did not want customers to bring guns into its restaurants "unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel."
    Sonic & Chili's: Leave guns at home - May. 30, 2014

I get the desire to make open carry legal; really I do. However when 3, 4 (5?) places have changed their policy from "we follow local law" to "please do not bring guns into our business" it may be time to re-evaluate the method of protest.

Things are not improving for open carry and soon some business is going to flat out ban all forms of carry...
    Another path must be found to make change
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

VIP Member
    I'm confused, Chili's doesn't want open carry but will continue to follow state and local laws? What if state and local laws allow OC?

Did they really think that all the recent OC'ers were breaking the law?

For what it's worth, this is my $0.02 on the situation as somebody who owns a business that serves the public.

I think what they're saying is: we won't refuse to serve you if you do, but, please don't.

Which IMHO is perfectly reasonable.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Some folks can't understand when a company "asks" versus "demands" something. In other words, don't force us to make a decision that no one will like. Still, some yahoo and his AR/AK will shut the door to furthering law-abiding carry. for SD.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    I'm confused, Chili's doesn't want open carry but will continue to follow state and local laws? What if state and local laws allow OC?

Did they really think that all the recent OC'ers were breaking the law?
    Legally it is no change. As a policy it has changed from "we will allow open carry" to "we may ask you to leave". Not a big difference but a move towards being gun-unfriendly

Of course these are national chains so this has repercussions beyond Texas...
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Kind of like a man that sues to be a hooters waitress.....he may win the case but a hairy butt in tight orange shorts equals ruining it for everyone else....

Backfire. There has got to be a better way

Quote Originally Posted by sticky22 View Post
    Kind of like a man that sues to be a hooters waitress.....he may win the case but a hairy butt in tight orange shorts equals ruining it for everyone else....

Backfire. There has got to be a better way
    That's the worst analogy ever, yet I still love it.
    RickyD, PEF, maxwell97 and 11 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Was wondering the same thing. Law says I can OC, and they say they will continue to follow the state law, but they don't want you OC.

FWIW, Sonic is overpriced and awful anyway. I never worried about their policy. Haven't been on their property in years except to turn around.
    84160 and american23 like this.

I'm really starting to dislike these Open Carry restaurant protester idiots and I'm for Open Carry in Texas. If by chance they read this, my message to them is come to Austin, Protest at the capitol were it will make a difference and I'll march with you. For the love of god, STOP protesting at junk-food restaurants!!!!!

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Think of something you don't like, now if some one comes and rubs your nose in it will it make you more agreeable to it?
    It kind of makes me wonder if some of these jerks are ringers.

I'm pretty sure Its illegal to carry a rifle into a place that serves alcohol in Texas. Both Chipotle and Chili's serve alcohol.
    KnifeGuy likes this.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    That's the worst analogy ever, yet I still love it.
    The analogy I got... the imagery I could do without.

But anyway... Imagine that! More companies asking folks to not OC in their establishments because a few idiots who don't realize their form of protest is hurting us more than it helps us. Who could've seen that coming?
    84160 likes this.

Cool, it's good to know when companies don't want my money even though I CC. I'd rather know their stance than have to guess it.

Telling any potential customers to go elsewhere just doesn't seem like a good business plan but apparently these companies fear the loss of the anti's business more than they fear the loss of pro-gun peoples' business. That makes me sad.
    wishyouwell likes this.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    Was wondering the same thing. Law says I can OC, and they say they will continue to follow the state law, but they don't want you OC.

FWIW, Sonic is overpriced and awful anyway. I never worried about their policy. Haven't been on their property in years except to turn around.
    Sounds to me like they're taking the same type of stance that Starbucks did. They would prefer that people didn't OC in their restaurants, but chances are, they're not going to ask you to leave unless you're being a jerk about it.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links