One more benefit with Open Carry

This is a discussion on One more benefit with Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I had been serving paper and was OCing in civilian clothing. My wife and I decided to go to the store and she sat ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: One more benefit with Open Carry

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Yesterday I had been serving paper and was OCing in civilian clothing. My wife and I decided to go to the store and she sat in the car while I filled the tank (ouch, an $88 hit). I watched a man cross the road and walk up to several cars to talk with the drivers.

Then he began walking toward me and was just a very few feet from me when he saw the gun on my side. His look was priceless and he rapidly walked off in the other direction, even going back across the road.

I then walked over to talk with someone he had approached and it was as I suspected. He was a panhandler wanting money from people using some sob story.

If my sidearm keeps panhandlers away, I should OC more often.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    Well done! And you didn't even have to do anything! Good SA, although you wrote that he got to 'just a very few feet' from you. If I saw someone approaching in that situation, I wouldn't let him get near the car or me.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and Old Sarge like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

here have been a few Exposes on pan handlers and how at the end of the day they climb into their Mercedes or Lexus and drive HOME. Frankly i will give to a charity that helps homeless I really don't do the street corner thing.
    ARS1, Old Sarge, CWOUSCG and 1 others like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Oh no! He didn't try to take you out first or grab you gun? He obviously isn't keeping up with the internet!

I see OC more as a deterrent than a risk.
    ccw9mm, Zralou, Gun_guy and 7 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's great. I would have loved to seen the look on his face.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

My friend when he travels to OC states loves to carry his 1911 in his Serpa holster. Cocked & Locked.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Do I OC? Only when I travel up to get the grandkids, and I am stopping to get gas, or in rest areas do I OC. Early mornings and late evenings can attract some difficult individuals, and I'd rather that they find another old man as a 'victim'. Yes, I could just surprise them, but at least I know that if they still are coming towards an 'old man' with a gun, they are not selling tickets to a fish fry.
    Aceoky, BurgerBoy, redmc and 8 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Funny, how simple and effective just going about our normal business can be.

It's refreshing when the good element recognizes it for what it is, and when the bad element does as well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    Do I OC? Only when I travel up to get the grandkids, and I am stopping to get gas, or in rest areas do I OC. Early mornings and late evenings can attract some difficult individuals, and I'd rather that they find another old man as a 'victim'. Yes, I could just surprise them, but at least I know that if they still are coming towards an 'old man' with a gun, they are not selling tickets to a fish fry.
    I like your idea about OC when you have the grandkids. Keeping as much grunge away from them is definitely the best policy.

VIP Member
    You were OCing, and Big Oil still stood right there and robbed you.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    If he retreated he may have had bigger issues than spare change.
    johnbooth likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    here have been a few Exposes on pan handlers and how at the end of the day they climb into their Mercedes or Lexus and drive HOME. Frankly i will give to a charity that helps homeless I really don't do the street corner thing.
    Like this Guy.

Bogus Beggar busted at Big Four Bridge - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports
    ep1953 and Aceoky like this.

This is the best reason to open carry I've heard yet. As I get older and grow less tolerant of people, open carry seems like a viable solution to many social situations I'd rather not engage in.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You were OCing, and Big Oil still stood right there and robbed you.
    And then the government took its 70% cut of the take.
    Kutz likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

We live in a nice neighborhood, but there is an unsavory section a few blocks away.

Oftentimes those folks like to walk and scam in our neighborhood, looking for quick snatch and grab opportunities (stealing kids' bikes, yard equipment, etc.).

I've noticed that since I OC at home around the yard, we've had a lot less scammers...
    DixieBelle and BurgerBoy like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links