Why OC?.

Why OC?.

This is a discussion on Why OC?. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of posts here from people who ask "why open carry?". So I thought I would share a post I made on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Why OC?.

Why OC?.

I see a lot of posts here from people who ask "why open carry?". So I thought I would share a post I made on another local forum.

================================================

I post on several 'Gun forums', and I see a lot of CC vs OC discussions regarding pro's and cons of each form of carry. I am not writing this to prompt argument or saying one is better than the other, I just want to explain my own personal reasons for my carry preference.

The first 39 years of my life I lived in England where guns are not allowed. Despite any form of un-armed defensive training I may have had, being female, 5' 7" and under 160lbs, visibly to a BG I was a potential victim. A BG had no idea if I was capable of fending off any attack, or whether they may suffer any damage as a consequence of their attempt to make me a victim. And as such, very few, if any, potential attacker would hesitate (given the right circumstances) in their quest of victimization.

The following 10 years I lived in Florida, I obtained my CC permit and purchased a gun within the first couple of years of living there. I now had a realistic form of self preservation at my disposal, but to a BG, visibly, I was still a potential victim. The only difference between Florida and England was the BG was aware of the possibility of a gun being on my person, and therefore they may suffer injury if they attack, but most BG's aren't that bright, so still no real deterrent was present.

After moving to Alabama I started open carrying. Now a BG visibly see's I am armed and capable of causing damage to a would-be attacker. I know it's not 100% guaranteed to prevent an attack, but I no longer present myself as an easy victim and am willing to put up a fight. Most BG's don't want resistance to their attack and instinctively seek out easy targets, someone visibly prepared to defend themselves, by anyone's viewpoint, is not an easy target.

So that is why I OC whenever possible. It's no guarantee, nothing in life is guaranteed, but I feel it gives me an 'edge' over, say, a female who is completely oblivious to potential attack, who relies on LEO to protect her, and lives in a fantasy world that being a victim only happens in the ghetto's and the movies.

=================================================

Thanks for reading
    Sara Lou
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    No, thank you!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thank you! Very we'll stated. I for one am tired of the open vs concealed debate. The only thing it has proved to me is there are idiots on both side of the fence.

VIP Member
    Why not OC? It's legal here and unless in a leftist potty like Orleans or East Baton Rouge . nothing of note
    Tinman517 and BurgerBoy like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

VIP Member
    I do both , i will not say i'm sorry for either choice as i won't allow anti-gun people talk me out of my guns .

I am from the point of veiw do what makes you happy and be responsible both ways .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

very well said Sara Lou, I try to explain to my female friends why they should carry but some of them live in a dream world where they think if somebody bothers them they can just call the law and everything is okay.one of my best friends is a tri-athlete and just retired after 22 years of military service and i know she would be a beast to manhandle but she is about 5'8" and maybe 115 lbs so she does not look dangerous, but she has a permit and is starting to carry simply because she knows there are truly evil people out there.

Thank you for sharing your view for OC. It all boils down to personal preference.

Living in Florida I have never OCed. The advantages to me are quicker draw and more comfort in carrying your gun.
    gatorbait51 and StevePVB like this.

I personally do not care either way. What ever you would like to do. Do either, do both, switch out every day, makes me no difference. I will however share something that was shared to me by a federal agent a couple weeks ago that leans to the CC side of things....

Most LEO shootings happen with their own gun. The perp can see it and focus on removing it before you know they are even there.

Now, that said, I do agree with that but also agree that any would be robber or attacker will likely move on if they see you are armed. They mostly want easy targets not a fight. They go after LEO firearms more often then not due to the protection of law in my opinion.

Any rate, thanks for posting that, it makes sense.
    gatorbait51 and smolck like this.
    Richard
    I shoot things with a Canon

This is not to get into the pros & cons of OC. I have lived in the Atlanta metro area for 8 years now, and in that time, I have seen 1 person open carrying. Keep in mind, OC is legal in Georgia ONLY if you have a GWL (Georgia Weapons License). Like I said, I have seen only 1 OC, and he was sitting on a bench outside the service area of one of our local auto dealers.

I know of a great many CC people, it's just that OC does not seem to be popular around here.
    gatorbait51 and Richard58 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    This is not to get into the pros & cons of OC. I have lived in the Atlanta metro area for 8 years now, and in that time, I have seen 1 person open carrying. Keep in mind, OC is legal in Georgia ONLY if you have a GWL (Georgia Weapons License). Like I said, I have seen only 1 OC, and he was sitting on a bench outside the service area of one of our local auto dealers.

I know of a great many CC people, it's just that OC does not seem to be popular around here.
    Very likely, it would be more popular if not infringed. I'd bet that most folks will figure that if going for the CHL is required then concealed is what's expected, irrespective of what the choice might be in an uninfringed comparison of choices for people.

In Oregon, I've known many people who openly carry. But because the statutes allow for municipalities to have certain infringements upon visible carry, most folks who I've known to OC frequently seem to have their CHL as well. Though, out in the wilds, away from the city centers, OC is relatively common. Lots of ranches, farms, public lands, forests and open spaces.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and Richard58 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot View Post
    I for one am tired of the open vs concealed debate.
    You and me both. Nice weather we're having.
    gatorbait51, Pinot and BurgerBoy like this.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Looks like our laws are pretty dang good here. To carry at all you have to have the license, however with that license you can OC or CC alike.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Richard
    I shoot things with a Canon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    I see a lot of posts here from people who ask "why open carry?". So I thought I would share a post I made on another local forum.

================================================

I post on several 'Gun forums', and I see a lot of CC vs OC discussions regarding pro's and cons of each form of carry. I am not writing this to prompt argument or saying one is better than the other, I just want to explain my own personal reasons for my carry preference.

The first 39 years of my life I lived in England where guns are not allowed. Despite any form of un-armed defensive training I may have had, being female, 5' 7" and under 160lbs, visibly to a BG I was a potential victim. A BG had no idea if I was capable of fending off any attack, or whether they may suffer any damage as a consequence of their attempt to make me a victim. And as such, very few, if any, potential attacker would hesitate (given the right circumstances) in their quest of victimization.

The following 10 years I lived in Florida, I obtained my CC permit and purchased a gun within the first couple of years of living there. I now had a realistic form of self preservation at my disposal, but to a BG, visibly, I was still a potential victim. The only difference between Florida and England was the BG was aware of the possibility of a gun being on my person, and therefore they may suffer injury if they attack, but most BG's aren't that bright, so still no real deterrent was present.

After moving to Alabama I started open carrying. Now a BG visibly see's I am armed and capable of causing damage to a would-be attacker. I know it's not 100% guaranteed to prevent an attack, but I no longer present myself as an easy victim and am willing to put up a fight. Most BG's don't want resistance to their attack and instinctively seek out easy targets, someone visibly prepared to defend themselves, by anyone's viewpoint, is not an easy target.

So that is why I OC whenever possible. It's no guarantee, nothing in life is guaranteed, but I feel it gives me an 'edge' over, say, a female who is completely oblivious to potential attack, who relies on LEO to protect her, and lives in a fantasy world that being a victim only happens in the ghetto's and the movies.

=================================================

Thanks for reading
    Sara Lou
    Excellent post Sara Lou (a.k.a. Zralou)
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and BurgerBoy like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    I understand and can respect your position. I prefer not tipping my hand. In my view, OC is an advertisement to any BG that may want your weapon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links