Should I OC until I get my CCL?

This is a discussion on Should I OC until I get my CCL? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased my first handgun a few weeks ago and that kind of depleted the gun budget for now. I know I do not ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Should I OC until I get my CCL?

I just purchased my first handgun a few weeks ago and that kind of depleted the gun budget for now. I know I do not plan on carrying at all (OC or CC) until I feel VERY comfortable with using my firearm. My question is, what are you thoughts on OCing until I get my CCL? I don't want to scare all the sheeple or PAINT A TARGET on my self for when i do CC. I live in a small town and see alot of the same people frequently. Just want to hear your thoughts.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Is there some reason you feel you need to carry now when you did not carry before? If not I'd suggest waiting for the CCW. Small towns can be sort of funny, and IME if you start OC then go to CCW everyone in town will either (A) know you are now CCW, or (B) bug you about "why don't you carry your gun any more?"
    techieccw, Tinman517 and JonAesir like this.

If your the only person in town that OC's then might night be the best idea. On the other hand if lots of people do then go for it. Anyway you can protect yourself and others then do it. Like you said though, make sure you know how to use it and when to use it.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    That you may retain your self-respect-it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong.
    -- William J.H. Boetcker

I would recommend getting a god holster and learning some retention techniques as well as becoming confident in your firearms skills before OCing. Once you're at that point, go for it. It's a legal, safe, legitimate way to carry a handgun. Might also want to be prepared to answer questions about why you're OCing.

Didn't Kansas expand their preemption laws this year to include OC?
    OldMick and Taurahe like this.

Distinguished Member
    Have you thought through OC thoroughly and are you comfortable with it? If you intend to switch back and forth between OC and CC (and many do), then I see no harm in it. If you only intend to CC once you have your CCL, then living in a small town will be a give away.

carry around the house for a bit first. Then maybe take her for a spin around the block OC
    Ianthin likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    I would recommend getting a god holster and learning some retention techniques as well as becoming confident in your firearms skills before OCing. Once you're at that point, go for it. It's a legal, safe, legitimate way to carry a handgun. Might also want to be prepared to answer questions about why you're OCing.

Didn't Kansas expand their preemption laws this year to include OC?
    I don't have a god holster but I do have a Fobus PPS paddle holster. Yes KS did expand the preemption laws. 01 July 2014 OC is legal across the state.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Quote Originally Posted by techieccw View Post
    I don't have a god holster but I do have a Fobus PPS paddle holster. Yes KS did expand the preemption laws. 01 July 2014 OC is legal across the state.

Get yourself a better holster you will be happy you did. Fobus is junk :(
    marcclarke likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

At minimum, I would get a Blackhawk SERPA (CQC, not the Sportster you find at WallyWorld). Most LEOs around my area us it as a plain clothes holster. Congrats to Kansas on the expanded preemption.

I found the Fobus on eBay for $25. And had read to many bad reviews about the Serpa, sand causing it to jam and such.

I know that your time with your Shield has been limited. Prior to carrying via any fashion, be sure to have enough range time to be competent with your gun.

Also, be sure to have vetted the SD ammo, which you plan on using.
    PJR202 and techieccw like this.

Do what you are comfortable with.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I just purchased my first handgun a few weeks ago and that kind of depleted the gun budget for now. I know I do not plan on carrying at all (OC or CC) until I feel VERY comfortable with using my firearm. My question is, what are you thoughts on OCing until I get my CCL? I don't want to scare all the sheeple or PAINT A TARGET on my self for when i do CC. I live in a small town and see alot of the same people frequently. Just want to hear your thoughts.
    If you have a decent comfort level with carrying, and if you don't mind others knowing you carry, then I see no reason why visibly carrying shouldn't be one of your methods.

Of course, not everyone wants to be "outed" in terms of their status as a carrier.

And many simply aren't that knowledgeable about retention holsters, retention methods, and the risks of having neither.

One of the common downsides to open carry is, in many states at least, that many municipalities are authorized by the state to have little chuckholes in the ordinances that the unwary can step in. For example, in Oregon, the legislature has state-wide preemption, but it has specifically authorized municipalities to regulate some venues for carrying if carrying without a CHL. Makes for a bit of a sticky situation when heading from town to town, if you're not aware of the differences in each place.
    RickyD likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I OC and CC but i first got comfortable with CC then eased into OC .................but if you feel ready then do what makes you happy .
    techieccw and Aceoky like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

How about half and half? OC with a black IWB holster, black belt, and black shirts. Most people won't even notice you are carrying.

Personally, I waited until I got my CHP, even though OC is legal here. OC just wasn't or me.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links