OC during the Estate Sale

This is a discussion on OC during the Estate Sale within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We had a two-day estate sale this past weekend at my parents' house (my mom passed away in Feb., and my dad has moved in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: OC during the Estate Sale

We had a two-day estate sale this past weekend at my parents' house (my mom passed away in Feb., and my dad has moved in with us). At the sale, I decided to try out my recently purchased Blackhawk CQC SERPA 2 Sportster holster with my Sig P229. I OCed both days, about 14 hours, as I talked with buyers and helped carry and load stuff. I wore my shirt out, but loosely tucked between the butt of the gun and my fat-roll. Of the dozens of people I interacted with, I had two ask if I was a LEO (I'm not). Another three or four asked what kind of gun it was, as a conversation starter about what kind of gun(s) they had. I didn't hear any negative comments or notice any negative reactions. In fact, while joking with a friend about getting rid of a lamp, he said "Well, I've got it in my hands", and I said "Well, I am armed." He stopped, did a double take, and then said "Huh, you are."
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?" “My hypocrisy goes only so far.”
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; Century Arms C308

OCing a handgun unless your in a city infested with agenda driven antis or LE dept determined to make legal oc of a handgun a hassle really is no big deal. I and the wife did it for years with nary a comment. Still do off and on depending on where we are going or what we are doing.

Most of the time folks are so engrossed in a cell phone or what they are doing they dont notice. Humans tend to see what they expect to see and miss what they dont. Unless like anti gun munchkins they are actively looking for it.
    You dont have to believe a train is coming. Itll run over you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    .... Humans tend to see what they expect to see and miss what they dont....
    I agree.
    OldVet likes this.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I won't believe any of these happy OC stories until someone reports they were shot first or had their gun grabbed. It just goes against the universal truths!
    Retired USAF E-8. Official forum curmudgeon.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    OCing a handgun unless your in a city infested with agenda driven antis or LE dept determined to make legal oc of a handgun a hassle really is no big deal. I and the wife did it for years with nary a comment. Still do off and on depending on where we are going or what we are doing.

Most of the time folks are so engrossed in a cell phone or what they are doing they dont notice. Humans tend to see what they expect to see and miss what they dont. Unless like anti gun munchkins they are actively looking for it.

What part of KY and do you think I'd be ok doing it in Louisville?

Quote Originally Posted by poetdante View Post
    Isn't open carry legal in Kentucky?
    Aceoky likes this.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    I OC often at Lowes And Home Depot in the east end. Walmart of course. Have OC'd at several restaurants in that area with my Glock IWB. Not since the Texas OC train wreck though. Have yet to be asked to leave.

ETA: While I do OC often in the east Louisville area, I'm well aware the social climate may frown upon it. I almost always have a cover shirt with me and use it when I feel it's right to do so.

Hehe, people were probably more likely to give you your asking price on items for sale.
    DixieBelle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman517 View Post
    Hehe, people were probably more likely to give you your asking price on items for sale.
    That thought crossed my mind.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I open carry at the estate sales I go to almost every weekend and have no problems at all. Most people don't even notice. I find that if you just act like every one else nobody notices you. When I go I usually look for dolls (for the wife) and vintage fishing rods (for myself). Some times I have even found holsters. Unfortunately they are for guns I don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Fortunately they are for guns I don't have.
    FIFY.

Isn't that just an excuse to buy another gun? That's what I do. "But honey, I already have the ammo/holster/etc. for it, so it'd be silly for me to not buy the gun to go with..."

Well, it worked for me once.
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Springfield XD40
    Ruger GP100

Quote Originally Posted by rjinga View Post
    We had a two-day estate sale this past weekend at my parents' house (my mom passed away in Feb., and my dad has moved in with us). At the sale, I decided to try out my recently purchased Blackhawk CQC SERPA 2 Sportster holster with my Sig P229. I OCed both days, about 14 hours, as I talked with buyers and helped carry and load stuff. I wore my shirt out, but loosely tucked between the butt of the gun and my fat-roll. Of the dozens of people I interacted with, I had two ask if I was a LEO (I'm not). Another three or four asked what kind of gun it was, as a conversation starter about what kind of gun(s) they had. I didn't hear any negative comments or notice any negative reactions. In fact, while joking with a friend about getting rid of a lamp, he said "Well, I've got it in my hands", and I said "Well, I am armed." He stopped, did a double take, and then said "Huh, you are."

Sorry for your loss.

Cnon
    Aceoky and DixieBelle like this.

North East and yep id be fine Ocing in Louisville. I actually have OCed on Louisville before. And Lex. In ky there is nothing to be done about it. Every gun legislation in the state and the state constitution is geared to stop any city etc from messing with it or regulating it.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Isn't open carry legal in Kentucky?

Yep protected by the state constitution. And strengthened even more in the 2013 legislative session by providing penalties for any city or unit of government trying to pass a ordinance to regulate it. Flatly nothing to be done about OC in Ky even if someone really wanted to.

Beyond asking you to leave a posted business of course.
    Aceoky likes this.

What is your specific question here?
    I carry openly while mowing my front yard. I will carry openly if I wish on my own property whether I am renting or owning. I have that right in my state, and I figure most states the same. OC at estate sale? I've got a garage sale coming up and I will be OC'ing. I'll field any questions that patrons have at my discretion. Some may demand smart remarks, but by golly I'll do as I well please on my own property an even the local cops won't tell me otherwise. I'm an American in America, and that gives me immunity from most BS, and especially on my own property. No fear! You have rights that can't be second guessed by anyone.
    The world is a dangerous place, made more dangerous by a willfully ignorant populace who mindlessly go about their day to day existence without thinking, questioning, or considering the possibility their leaders are corrupt lying thieves.

Washington DC? DC stands for District of Corruption

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links