Open Carry the way it should happen everywhere

This is a discussion on Open Carry the way it should happen everywhere within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My husband and I prefer concealed carry, and do so at home. However, we are spending the summer in Colorado. The only legal carry here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Open Carry the way it should happen everywhere

My husband and I prefer concealed carry, and do so at home. However, we are spending the summer in Colorado. The only legal carry here for us is open carry. We have gotten a few "looks" from some of the local lefties. But we have also exchanged "Hi, how you doing?" with a few LEO. Last night, my husband got to talking with a policeman and was told that the police force here was aware of our presence. I guess they have received several man (or woman) with a gun calls. The dispatcher asks "Is he or she pointing the gun at you, or threatening anyone with the gun?". When the caller replies with " No, the gun is in a holster at his or her waist"; the dispatcher tells caller that it is perfectly legal to go about armed with a gun. End of story.

It's not like we look all that threatening, either. My husband is in his 60's, as am I. He walks very stiffly and I'm in a wheelchair. In other words: near perfect victims. Until the BG gives us a closer look, I guess. We still can't wait to get back to legal cc!

VIP Member
    Glad it is working out for you. Not crusaders, just two ordinary people going about their day.

On a side note, it is odd how some sates encourage certain acts, or leave citizens with only one alternative, by the legislative schemes they enact.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    On a side note, it is odd how some sates encourage certain acts, or leave citizens with only one alternative, by the legislative schemes they enact.
    This is why I'm open to national reciprocity. CO does not recognize my OR permit and do not recognize any non res permits so OC for me too. WY on the other hand allows permitless carry for Residents only so I need a non res for them. Dang near need a law degree just to exercise a right that pre-dates the Constitution.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

VIP Member
    I am happy that it is working for you and your husband to feel safe . I too OC when in the right situation and when it is legal .
    Last edited by welder516; June 14th, 2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: To - Too -Two , lol
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Stay out of Denver with OC- they get to violate the state's preemption laws and don't like OC. I'm glad your trip is going well.

A couple of years ago near Ft Collins, some LEOs stopped and detained an OCer for about 10 minutes. The department settled with the OCer for $15,000 and the other police departments learned the lesson.

Good for you two and good for Colorado for not harassing you and handling it exactly how they should have.

I agree with the "darn near need a law degree" comment!! We traveled by car from the East Coast out here and I did a lot of studying in our attempts to stay legal! I am still gobsmacked by Missouri's requirement for a restaurant that includes a bar to have at least 50 seats for the restaurant section and to earn at least 51% of their income from food sales! Our solution? Boycott Olive Garden and Red Lobster, just to stay safe!
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Oh....p.s. I did know about Denver, through studying beforehand, but I appreciate the heads up,

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly13 View Post
    My husband and I prefer concealed carry, and do so at home. However, we are spending the summer in Colorado. The only legal carry here for us is open carry. We have gotten a few "looks" from some of the local lefties. But we have also exchanged "Hi, how you doing?" with a few LEO. Last night, my husband got to talking with a policeman and was told that the police force here was aware of our presence. I guess they have received several man (or woman) with a gun calls. The dispatcher asks "Is he or she pointing the gun at you, or threatening anyone with the gun?". When the caller replies with " No, the gun is in a holster at his or her waist"; the dispatcher tells caller that it is perfectly legal to go about armed with a gun. End of story.

It's not like we look all that threatening, either. My husband is in his 60's, as am I. He walks very stiffly and I'm in a wheelchair. In other words: near perfect victims. Until the BG gives us a closer look, I guess. We still can't wait to get back to legal cc!
    Yea, be careful about Denver. They have some laws on the books against OC, only place in the state like that. BTW where are you guys staying at? I lived in Colorado Springs for 4 years, great time.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly13 View Post
    I am still gobsmacked by Missouri's requirement for a restaurant that includes a bar to have at least 50 seats for the restaurant section and to earn at least 51% of their income from food sales! Our solution? Boycott Olive Garden and Red Lobster, just to stay safe!
    You can CC there, just have to leave if asked. MO RS 571.107(2) Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, or a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. ....

Happy travels.

Kinda funny the po-po is "aware of your presence", but glad they are handling it appropriately. When the subject of baiting comes up again, and it will, we should just refer everyone to this thread.

Good for the both of you. Enjoy your summer in Colorado.

Don't know when you are heading back east, but 01 July 2014, KS is legal OC everywhere.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Good job staying armed! I have to OC if/when I go to Delaware.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

We're staying in Fort Collins...from 5/24 thru 8/8. Thanks for the clarification about Missouri and their 50 seats/51%. I guess I'm not the best at lawyering.

Its great that its working out for you folks, just the way it ought to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links