First time Open Carry today - on a bike

This is a discussion on First time Open Carry today - on a bike within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first OC experience today was riding my bike today. My gf wanted to go for a bike ride today and being a new rider ...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 12 Post By poetdante
  • 1 Post By poetdante
  • 1 Post By poetdante
  • 1 Post By Happypuppy
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By smith2013
  • 1 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By oldman45

Thread: First time Open Carry today - on a bike

My first OC experience today was riding my bike today. My gf wanted to go for a bike ride today and being a new rider I accompanied her. It was a hot day so I carried OWB in a Raven holster. My shirt is usually tucked in to avoid the kydex rubbing against my skin so OWB was unavoidable without an extra layer. Well, we ended up going to a small organic food/farmers market area in a yuppie part of town. I was 100% relaxed, more curious as anything. The store had no sign, maybe 2 or 3 people even glanced at my holster. There were even other cyclists there. It was a fun experience. I'm almost dissapointed nobody asked me about my gun and what kind of holster it was in. At the park nobody even was looking as we rode our bikes home.

I think OC'ing will be a thing I do more often from now on. It will expose the hipsters to firearms being just another tool and not scary.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Bicycle bike or motorcycle bike?

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Wonder what will happen if uneducated people call police and I have to deal with that hassle. Surprisingly I have yet to see "no firearm" signs on small businesses in Louisville. In fact, only one I have seen is in some cheap jewelery store (Genesis Diamonds) to which I did not patronize.

As I was biking, had cops pass me (different locations, different cops, different directions) without incident. Maybe Louisville, KY can be as gun friendly as they are bike friendly (mayor's goal is to make us one of the most famous cycling cities in the US)
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Bicycle bike or motorcycle bike?
    Sorry, bicycle bike. Road bike.
    CWOUSCG likes this.

I always carry while cycling. I use one of those smart carry pouches. OC is ok I guess if you don't mind the waist belt. I've used a sticky holster as well

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
    poetdante likes this.

Good. A non eventful first OC experience is a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by poetdante View Post
    Wonder what will happen if uneducated people call police and I have to deal with that hassle. Surprisingly I have yet to see "no firearm" signs on small businesses in Louisville. In fact, only one I have seen is in some cheap jewelery store (Genesis Diamonds) to which I did not patronize.

As I was biking, had cops pass me (different locations, different cops, different directions) without incident. Maybe Louisville, KY can be as gun friendly as they are bike friendly (mayor's goal is to make us one of the most famous cycling cities in the US)
    Your in KY. OC is state constitutionally protected. It has been since Ky's statehood. Nothing will happen even on the slim chance an LEO would even be dispatched. If youll take note 99.9 percent of any carry regulations in Ky are for CC. About all there is on OC is that the state will slam dunk any city town etc that attempts to regulate it. No permit needed for it or to own a gun.
    oldman45 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Congrats on a good first experience. I OC a lot as well. Nobody ever pays me any mind.
    Pistology likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I always carry while cycling. I use one of those smart carry pouches. OC is ok I guess if you don't mind the waist belt. I've used a sticky holster as well

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
    +1 for the Sticky Holster. I've CC'd with it in cycling gear before.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    The only bicycle OC I've done was in 2006 across the FOB with my M9 in a drop thigh holster. Pedaling was awkward, but easier than my supply SGT with his M16.
    Psalm 144:1

That's funny, I carried openly for the first time today when my wife wanted to go on a bicycle ride and I felt too hot to "cover up"!

No issues at all.
    poetdante likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Nice! What kind of place did you bike to?

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I have been OCing for over 48 yrs in public places and not one person has called LE on me. Nor has anyone tried to grab my gun. Nobody has ran away screaming about MWAG.

On the other hand, I have had many people ask about the gun I was wearing or the laws concerning their carrying of a weapon. I have had a few LEO either ask about my gun, ask about going shooting with me or compliment me on the gun as we would be having lunch, coffee or standing in line at some store.

Those coming up with all their nightmarish scenes taking place with OC has never had them happen to themselves but always to someone that someone else knew.

Where OC is legal, nothing bad is going to happen to you for OCing. I OCed todday in a gas station, a WalMart, a CVS, a law office, a restaurant and an O'Reilly's Auto Parts and not one unusual thing happened and nobody gave me unusual looks.

OC while well groomed and you will be fine.
    Aceoky likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Sponsored Links