Tense encounter between open-carry advocate and police

This is a discussion on Tense encounter between open-carry advocate and police within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Below is the link to a local story here in Michigan. Apparently there was a known open-carry advocate who did an open carry walk when ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Tense encounter between open-carry advocate and police

Below is the link to a local story here in Michigan. Apparently there was a known open-carry advocate who did an open carry walk when he also appeared to be intoxicated. He also responded belligerently and threatened the officers. I think the officers handled it well once they realized there was a man carrying a rifle (not in sling, but in his hands) who appeared to be intoxicated. They were mindful of not violating his open carry rights, while also trying to ensure the public was kept safe. He was even able to take a BAC test and get the gun back immediately, or get it the next day (presumably to allow him to sober up).

It's a shame that the guy was a known open carry advocate and was arguing his open carry rights when stopped for being intoxicated while carrying a firearm. It gives open carry a bad name and makes it more difficult for everyone else to keep their rights. Enough of these stories and people may start thinking it wouldn't be so bad after all to outlaw open carry in the state. I hope the people of Michigan aren't that gullible, but who knows.

Tense encounter between open-carry advocate and Kalamazoo police detailed in recordings, reports | MLive.com
    Kennydale likes this.

Darwin doesn't always work instantly.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

If he was drunk he should have been charged with something. Public intoxication, branishing a weapon while intoxicated. IMHO some people take the whole OC protesting too far.

If as reported, it's a good example of how keeping yourself under control can go a long way ... and how getting out of control to the reasonable fear of others can get you jumped on.

It's about balance. Had he simply been going about his business, I'd have been surprised by anything more than checking on him, at worst. But showing signs of imbalance, signs of possible intoxication or other threat, one is wide open for others to say "enough." Rightly so.

Be safe and responsible, folks. It matters. And it matters to the cause.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Aren't ALL extreme Open Carry advocates (activists?) looking for a tense encounter with the police? Sometimes I think these armchair Patrick Henry-types are a bit short-sighted on the goal and imprudent on the ideal means of achieving it. I would prefer the most extreme among them to...help another cause!
    Bad Bob, OD* and Bigsteve113 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Appears the libtards don't have a monopoly on being idiots.
    357and40 and Whip12 like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Aren't ALL extreme Open Carry advocates (activists?) looking for a tense encounter with the police?
    No, but folks looking for confrontation are.

Be careful about painting with a broad brush, based on assumptions.

I've been to plenty of "gatherings" for either dinner, barbeque, talks, rallies or outright protests in which the majority of the carriers there could be described by many as "extreme" advocates. But not once has any such gathering resulted in backing others into a corner, forcing confrontation, or outright provocation of anyone.

Agreed, though, that the extremist provocations with police contacts and pushing of others into a corner don't give a good impression to an otherwise good cause.
    Aceoky, JDE101, RickyD and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

way to surrender your 2@ rights

makes me wonder if he's on the Bloomberg payroll
    Sgt45 and the6shooter like this.

The police officers were extremely patient with this gentleman.

He definitely tarnishes the cause.
    ccw9mm likes this.

He was just a drunk guy with a gun strapped to his wAist. Doesn't make him on OC advocate to 99.8% of the population

Just ' bout the action Boss...

I find it interesting that he wasn't charged... makes me wonder if he was really intoxicated.

I usually stick up for the OC crowd, but this guy is an idiot. To me, it isn't OC when you don't have a sling... That would be like me walking around with my G19 in my hand and calling it OC.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member
    Cannot understand what goes through some people's minds. Think about what got this guy to the point where he encounters LE. He drinks too much, picks up a rifle and then decides to go for a walk in public. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

The LEO's in this situation went out of their way to play this down and should be commended for the incredible restraint they displayed.

This guy is a moron, plain and simple.

I have a hard time with the crowd that overtly seeks attention of being THE OC activist. This guy is the prime example.

I am all good with the OC folks that have a handgun in a holster and exercise their rights....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Boy that really helps open carry....

Probably works for Mayor Blumeberg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links