Jerry Miculek's take on open carry vs concealed carry

This is a discussion on Jerry Miculek's take on open carry vs concealed carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are for, against, or undecided, this is a good video and explanations/reasons from a seasoned pistol shooter/carrier. Things to think about and consider, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Jerry Miculek's take on open carry vs concealed carry

If you are for, against, or undecided, this is a good video and explanations/reasons from a seasoned pistol shooter/carrier. Things to think about and consider, as well as the possibility of taking a weapon retention course, maybe choice of holsters, etc. Situational awareness is something I constantly do while open carrying. My 'bubble' is a lot larger than when I'm carrying concealed for sure. The reason most of us carry at all is not to make a statement, but it's because the world is full of people who would do evil. Carry and carry responsibly.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    good basic video. gotta love those CC vests, a dead giveaway! LOL. Prob only mostly to other gunowners tho.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sounds like good logic to me. I like how Jerry lays it in plain language with some humor. Besides does anyone really think a bad gangster is going to be intimidated by someone like this.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LtBlue425 View Post
    Sounds like good logic to me. I like how Jerry lays it in plain language with some humor. Besides does anyone really think a bad gangster is going to be intimidated by someone like this.....
    Do you think these two have gotten their cheques from Bloomberg yet?
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    good basic video. gotta love those CC vests, a dead giveaway! LOL. Prob only mostly to other gunowners tho.
    Like fanny packs?
    The general public doesn't seem to be too concerned with what's going on around them in my experience. Too involved with their daily lives and activities. So much so that as long as I've been open carrying in a few different states, I've only been asked about it once by another person not associated with LE. I mean I have had kids eyeball my open carried pistol and not tug on mommy's arm and tell her "that man has a gun". I've had moms eyeball the pistol as well and not even bat an eye or grab junior by the arm and drag them away like I had a live grenade. Open carry is not a threat to the public (and maybe some just know and accept this at different levels of their understanding). But those that may want to test you or see some sort of opportunity grabbing for your weapon is what I think about sometimes, or running into a co-worker while shopping etc. Open carry vs concealed carry should be just like wearing a seat belt in a vehicle or a helmet on a motorcycle. A personal decision and an educated choice. Going out in public is a risk no matter what these days. Anything that helps us make these personal decisions is good.
    Ghost1958, Brig, Zralou and 1 others like this.

Is that a same sex couple or? Anyways...too bad this thread had to be trashed with that image. I'll never forgive myself for starting this thread. On the bright side, I have something to print for a new paper target for the next time I go to the range. I used up all of my Osama Bin Laden targets, so this might be good. Not to hijack my own thread, but I mainly have to see a positive influence. That way I don't feel like I've been pissin' in the wind.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    once, just once in my lifetime, I'd like to see ANY VALID evidence that wearing a CC vest has resulted in any problem at all for the wearer of said vest.
    this seems to have become some sort of myth formed out of some sort of opinion
    enough already!
    Pete63, Bad Bob and StevePVB like this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Like fanny packs?
    The general public doesn't seem to be too concerned with what's going on around them in my experience.
    Everyone I work with knows I carry and knows I open carry too. When I first started work there, I was told by my manager several times in a 'no holes barred' way to NEVER, NEVER EVER bring a gun into work, or I would face instant dismissal. But I wear a fanny pack everyday at work and no one has ever questioned whether I have a gun in that fanny pack!!.

Sara Lou
    gatorbait51 and surefire7 like this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    once, just once in my lifetime, I'd like to see ANY VALID evidence that wearing a CC vest has resulted in any problem at all for the wearer of said vest.
    this seems to have become some sort of myth formed out of some sort of opinion
    enough already!
    Not a 'CC vest'. Can't be otherwise there would be a stigma and a stereotype involved. They are safari vests or photographer's vests used to conceal carry (adopted for the specific use). A specific "CC vest" would be a dead giveaway just like a CC badge right? Don't over-think things, and by all means, don't take things personal. LOL!
    Myths and opinions withheld in order to protect the innocent.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Vests have always confused me. I had a nice down-filled one and my arms always got so cold I had to wear a coat. Maybe a nice vest in a 3-piece suit, but other than that I never has a use for one.
    oldman45 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Jerry is wearing a helmet. Is he going to the store on his motorcycle? That shoulder strap could double as seat belt too. To feel really safe, I carry around a fire extinguisher and wear a catcher's mask.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I conceal carry where appropriate and open carry where appropriate for my circumstances. Sometimes, I open carry a large revolver and conceal carry a pocket BUG. Works for me.
    elmacgyver0 and gatorbait51 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I liked the video. He presented some very basic points in direct manner and was enjoyable to watch. Out of all the CC/OC videos I've seen this was the most enjoyable.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Seeing dudes like this make me laugh. Didn't the one guy ever see Zombieland? Rule #1. Cardio!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Seeing dudes like this make me laugh. Didn't the one guy ever see Zombieland? Rule #1. Cardio!
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of these two brain surgeons. They will make ideal poster boys for anti gun candidates when the rhetoric heats up near election time. They could prove to be a gift that just keeps on giving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links