Brandishing shotgun?

Brandishing shotgun?

This is a discussion on Brandishing shotgun? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for a little advice or thoughts regarding a situation we have here in our tiny town in rural ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Brandishing shotgun?

Brandishing shotgun?

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm looking for a little advice or thoughts regarding a situation we have here in our tiny town in rural north-central Oregon. Bear with me for a little background here:

We have a fledgling fire department whose people have worked very hard to put together from the ground up for the past two years. There's an old guy in town (mid 60s) whose family has been here for generations. All that's left is him and his mother, whom he lives with. He owns a bit of property in town. He's rich (so he says) and he's a semi-retired attorney. Anyone he doesn't like he runs out of town by threats of lawsuit and legal action, nastigrams, harassing actions, etc. He used to be on city council but he was asked to leave years ago. He tries to get his little friends into the city council and mayoral positions by manipulating the elections every four years. His little buddy won by a margin of two write-in votes but we quickly discovered those two votes came from friends of his who USED to live in town but have been out of state for a long time, using their rental addresses in town and requesting absentee ballots but those addresses have been rented out for some time. Anyway, the fire chief of our department used to be the town's Recorder/Treasurer and elections officer (mind you everything he does is all 100% volunteer) and he's the one who discovered the voting impropriety. The candidate was disqualified and since then this old guy and his gang has tried real hard to run our chief out of town, has all but destroyed his reputation professionally and personally (they have friends in other communities and other departments, calls the state police on him a bunch trying to get him arrested, etc.) and have done whatever they can to get the fire department shut down in retaliation. The stupid thing is this: our fire department is the ONLY one in our area and the next nearest aid of any kind is 45 minutes to an hour away. Point is, this old guy manipulates people around him and if he doesn't like something or someone he works to get them out by whatever means possible. Not a nice man at all. Everyone is afraid of the guy because he's got money and he sues people.

Us in the fire department, all volunteers, participate in our yearly 4th of July parade. Our town is really tiny. We have several vehicles and volunteers. Some years, the ranchers and their friends informally gather to create the parade. Some years they don't. Last year that happened and the Fire Department was the lone participant, which is just fine. However, last year, as we proudly drove down Main Street, each vehicle passing by the old guy's house, there he was standing out in front with his SHOTGUN at his side. To my knowledge NOBODY has ever seen the guy with his shotgun before. Well, each time one of our vehicles would pass by, he would raise the barrel up a little ways toward the cab of the vehicle and lower it when the vehicle had finished passing. Everyone on the department in each passing vehicle saw it including myself. The chief and the rest of us called the sheriff's office (nearest deputy is an hour away) and voiced our concerns. The deputy we talked to said it didn't sound like brandishing or menacing but he took a report anyway. That's mostly because he didn't even SEE it happening. Some of the department members sure felt like he was taking casual aim at them. I had to do a double-take...I was driving and I asked my fellow firefighter in the passenger cab of the ambulance "is that a SHOTGUN?" She said "yeah and he's aiming it upward toward us".

This guy is likely to do this stunt again this year because he's become more and more paranoid as he finds our chief is becoming more successful and getting more support and this guys is acting like a loon. Sometimes he drives by the chief's house several times a day for a few days and if he doesn't one of his friends does. And they have no business in that part of town, as the chief lives in an isolated corner of town few cars ever drive around.

What does this sound like to you? Our fire department members are unwilling to go back out there again this year because they're afraid this guy is going to be back out there with his shotgun (it's probably a zillion years old and not working, but you never know....) and that he could just snap and try to crank off a round at them to scare them off, which runs the risk of injury or death. I say he's a crazy coot whose bark is worse than his bite and that doesn't know what he's doing but I can't blame our guys and gals on the department. None of this guy's friends will say anything to him (actually they probably are gleeful at it because they're just as bad as he is in causing trouble in support of him). Is this brandishing? Menacing? I can see standing there with a rifle or shotgun in hand but intentionally raising the barrel upward a bit toward each fire department vehicle? Who the heck arms himself for a 4th of July parade, anyway??? The deputy we talked to said it sounded like this old guy was simply trying to "send a message" to our chief and the fire department.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you were really concerned at the time, you should have called 911 and reported a MWAG. Things would have been resolved in a hurry. Now you got nothing except a decision to make.
    mano3 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Raise a barrel of a gun towards me and that is a threat,I would have drawn and had he not dropped the gun his friends would have been his pall bearers.
    Anybody in your town have a pair?
    Ianthin and american23 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sounds like a movie. Yeah, what he was doing would be considered menacing, and in NY they would charge him with assault. Call 911, and take video of it as well, so he doesn't try to pull some BS stating he never did it.
    "Glocks are the iPhone of the gun world. Good at what they do, but everyone's got one. Be different, get the the Android of the gun world, an XDM."

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    ...this is why I moved out of the small town I grew up in?

funny... I hate cities, I hate small towns, I hate suburbs. basically I want my own state with only people I like in it.
    too much too ask?

per OP.
    he's a bully. who is living in the past and thinks he has a right to keep things his way. I even understand the sentiment. I hate seeing my whole state get transformed.
    best advice? ignore the guy.
    do your parade. if he points the gun again, smile and wave. have riders on the trucks at proper intervals so someone is recording him beginning-to-end.
    hate small town politics. hate big town politics.
    good luck.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

At the time of the parade, we did call the sheriff's office to complain. Four of us did individually. He didn't aim the shotgun at the windows, just raised it up from pointing straight downward to a bit of an angle toward each vehicle. I'd say if he fired it off it'd have shot out a tire or the lower side of a vehicle. All the sheriff's office did was have a deputy call us back and talk to each of us. No deputy was ever sent out. We are an hour away from the sheriff's office. The deputy said he'd take it for future reference and to call back if this guy does it again.

Thanks, DingBat. One idea we had for this year was to do not only that but see if we could get the sheriff's office to run one of the south county units down for a quick patrol in our town at the time of the parade (lasts 20-30 minutes because we go around town twice), or maybe have him take the last position in the parade with his patrol card (participate!), give him one of our portable radios and inform him the minute we see the guy raise his shotgun at us. Or something like that.

If the county sheriff won't take care of the problem, contact the Oregon State Police, and then the Feds if that doesn't work.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    ...this is why I moved out of the small town I grew up in?

funny... I hate cities, I hate small towns, I hate suburbs. basically I want my own state with only people I like in it.
    too much too ask?

per OP.
    he's a bully. who is living in the past and thinks he has a right to keep things his way. I even understand the sentiment. I hate seeing my whole state get transformed.
    best advice? ignore the guy.
    do your parade. if he points the gun again, smile and wave. have riders on the trucks at proper intervals so someone is recording him beginning-to-end.
    hate small town politics. hate big town politics.
    good luck.
    Me and you both Dingbat. I've been watching that show 'Alaskan Bush People", and I'll tell ya, I really think those folks got the right idea.....

OP:

I'm with the others, you need video evidence. If that deputy that took the report took no action, then maybe he's in cahoots with the old scrooge. Video evidence is hard to deny though. Get him on tape, make some copies - don't turn the only copy over to the deputy, and then stay tight on their behinds until some appropriate action is taken.
    mano3 and DingBat like this.

Yeah call the state boys they wont do anything call the feds.. They love this kind of stuff esp if police corruption is inloved ...

And yeah he was brandsish a gun and threating harm to me no good ..
    mano3 and DingBat like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Dukalmighty, the old guy is really cagey. He knows how to work people and the system. He's one of those kinds of people who are always one step ahead and always stays indirectly out of the spotlight. He drops little nuggets for people to bend their ears and manipulates them to do some of his dirty work. He has friends in law enforcement, I think. For a while, our fire chief was getting pulled over time and again in his personal car in the bigger town 45 minutes away for B.S. reasons...never any ticket, just warnings. One was for a burnt out license plate light but the chief pointed out one of the bulbs was still lit and was given a quick apology. Another time was for supposedly blowing a stop sign but he actually came out of a nearby driveway at a restaurant (I was with him at the time). A trooper even pulled him over one time and gave his girlfriend a weird series of questioning like "are you being held against your will? We know what this character is all about." This old attorney used to be an attorney for the local ambulance company in the bigger town, who he got riled up thinking our chief wants to take away their ambulance district, so that caused problems there, too.

Sounds like Road House (the movie)
    CLASS3NH, PJR202 and atctimmy like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I would keep a video cam handy around this guy, or keep my phone set for easy triggering of the video function
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Video evidence. Then file a harassment lawsuit against him. You will find out how good of an attorney he is or isn't.
    DingBat and Old Sarge like this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I think he better hope his house isn't the one that catches on fire while you are all to busy to come help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links