Question for the pro gun people

This is a discussion on Question for the pro gun people within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you let people know that not all gun owners are bad guys? Do you wear a shirt saying you are a good guy? ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree522Likes

Thread: Question for the pro gun people

How do you let people know that not all gun owners are bad guys? Do you wear a shirt saying you are a good guy? Do you pass out business cards with Good Guy on them?

I bet you do not do any of those. So how does the public know that a good guy has a gun? How does one see they can ask you a question about your gun, the gun laws or such?

How does one counter the media portrayal of guns being bad?

I can tell you what does not do a damn thing for showing others that gun owners are decent, honest safe people. That one thing is concealed carry. Shoppers at WalMart may be in there with ten gun owners but if they cannot see your gun, they do not think about you being a good guy.

Seeing folks carrying openly, while nicely dressed, polite and being normal will cause people to be accustomed to guns being carried. I cannot count the number of people that have asked me questions about gun laws, what type gun or caliber they needed and other things. Other open carriers on here will have experienced the same thing.

Open carry of handguns is good advertising for pro gun publicity. I do NOT feel that way about long gun carry. It may be legal but it gives a bad impression thanks to Hollywood and the news media.
    What better way is there to let people know you are pro gun, pro carry, pro 2nd and pro self defense other than open carry.

I suggest people do it where and when it is legal.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I behave so that people know I am a good guy, and then I start talking about guns. Works for me.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

The neighbors on our cul-de-sac are all anti-gun liberals with Obama & Hillary stickers. They all know that my wife and I are retired and we are gun owners and carriers. Guess who they call and ask to watch their home when they leave. Guess who they will call for assistance in an emergency. Guess where they tell their kids to go after school if they have a problem.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    The neighbors on our cul-de-sac are all anti-gun liberals with Obama & Hillary stickers. They all know that my wife and I are retired and we are gun owners and carriers. Guess who they call and ask to watch their home when they leave. Guess who they will call for assistance in an emergency. Guess where they tell their kids to go after school if they have a problem.
    these are just some of the reasons that I don't feel comfortable with OC
    Old Sarge, gatorbait51 and baren like this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I don't try to convince Antis of anything. They'll either change their minds on their own or won't. If they're lucky, it won't be at the point of a gun.
    hdhnict, nedrgr21, OD* and 7 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Agree with old vet, most of the antis I have met are so irrational in their views I just ignore them and go on my way too old to suffer fools.

I don't commit crimes. That's how I let everyone know I'm a good guy.
    That and I wear a white hat.

Really, I don't press my views on anyone. I think that is "both sides" biggest problem. Nobody likes to be told what their views and opinions should be. If it comes up in casual conversation I might drop a casual line of being a collector or enjoying shooting, but I don't take it further unless asked.

Our Sheriff's Department had a program where officers on each shift check out your home when on vacation. Just the fact they show up and oak in front of home is good enough for me. But they do get or and checkdoord and Windows. Kudos to Fort Bend Sheriff's Dept.
    Navydude, gatorbait51 and baren like this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

VIP Member
    Guess who would be telling them to pound sand if I lived in your neighborhood?
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

I don't always use missiles, but when I do it's the Minuteman III LGM-30G

I wear my NRA hat and a tee shirt that says "got ammo" on it all the time. I am generally a friendly fellow, chatting up pretty much anyone I meet, and I'm pretty sure by my attire they know I like guns. There are ways to show you are a good guy who likes guns without actually showing people your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    How do you let people know that not all gun owners are bady guys? Do you wear a shirt saying you are a good guy? Do you pass out business cards with Good Guy on them?

I bet you do not do any of those. So how does the public know that a good guy has a gun? How does one see they can ask you a question about your gun, the gun laws or such?

How does one counter the media portrayal of guns being bad?

I can tell you what does not do a damn thing for showing others that gun owners are decent, honest safe people. That one thing is concealed carry. Shoppers at WalMart may be in there with ten gun owners but if they cannot see your gun, they do not think about you being a good guy.

Seeing folks carrying openly, while nicely dressed, polite and being normal will cause people to be accustomed to guns being carried. I cannot count the number of people that have asked me questions about gun laws, what type gun or caliber they needed and other things. Other open carriers on here will have experienced the same thing.

Open carry of handguns is good advertising for pro gun publicity. I do NOT feel that way about long gun carry. It may be legal but it gives a bad impression thanks to Hollywood and the news media.
    What better way is there to let people know you are pro gun, pro carry, pro 2nd and pro self defense other than open carry.

I suggest people do it where and when it is legal.
    Let me explain something to you.

I gather from your post that you feel that those of us who choose to conceal rather than open carry are dropping the ball. Or we, perhaps, "owe" our open carrying brethren somehow, because you open carriers have the courage to proclaim to the world that you are pro gun, yet would do no unjustified harm. Whereas we concealed carriers hide our dirty little secret, lest we risk reprisal from an uneducated public. We just make life easier on ourselves. Is that what I am reading?

I choose to conceal because the world doesn't need to know about me. I assure you, it has nothing to do with the inevitable headaches that would surely come from open carry.

And I (as well the rest of the pro gun crowd) don't owe you a damn thing.

You want to open carry? Be my guest. I couldn't care less. Carry that way because you prefer it, or it's more comfortable, or because you are making a political statement. I do not care.

But don't you tell me that I'm not doing my part. You be your own dog. I'll be mine.

By God, you sound like a liberal. My way is not best for the collective good. I should do things YOUR way because, after all, it is best.

This is BS. Last thing we need is us barking at each other over this kind of crap. The liberals would be proud.

I will ALWAYS back you open carrying. Don't you dare throw me under the bus because I choose not to. And here, I can choose.

You make some good points.

I open carried once 4 and a half years ago with my pal. Stopped in at a cool but tiny surplus store like 2 miles from Monroe gun show. We chatted among ourselves and proprietor the fun we'd had and that. I OCed as I looked at this and mooned over that. He watched their actions and reactions. I conducted myself as cool and casual at that little joint as I could projecting calm and courtesy. Between the 2 of us we dropped about $300 in 20 minutes. Stuff neither of us could find locally. His AAR to me was a 1 out of 10 0 being the worst. I haven't open carried since.

To this day I am leery of going out in OC mode.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post

I gather from your post that you feel that those of us who choose to conceal rather than open carry are dropping the ball. Or we, perhaps, "owe" our open carrying brethren somehow, because you open carriers have the courage to proclaim to the world that you are pro gun, yet would do no unjustified harm. Whereas we concealed carriers hide our dirty little secret, lest we risk reprisal from an uneducated public. We just make life easier on ourselves. Is that what I am reading?

I choose to conceal because the world doesn't need to know about me. I assure you, it has nothing to do with the inevitable headaches that would surely come from open carry.

You want to open carry? Be my guest. I couldn't care less. Carry that way because you prefer it, or it's more comfortable, or because you are making a political statement. I do not care.

But don't you tell me that I'm not doing my part. You be your own dog. I'll be mine.

By God, you sound like a liberal. My way is not best for the collective good. I should do things YOUR way because, after all, it is best.

This is BS. Last thing we need is us barking at each other over this kind of crap. The liberals would be proud.

I will ALWAYS back you open carrying. Don't you dare throw me under the bus because I choose not to. And here, I can choose.

Amen and Amen

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post

Usually I would say *don't sugar coat it..tell us how you really feel!!*

Multi Stage does just that and then some. BOTH barrels.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    I go about it differently. I carry concealed, but I am open about my gun ownership and habits. I know one person that has purchased a gun and obtained a permit because of casual conversations with me. Now he's thinking about another. Several others has expressed interest in "going shooting."

When someone wants to argue about gun ownership and crime, I politely decline. Life's too short to change made up minds, but I'm always willing to speak with the curious and let them make up their own minds.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links