Kansas ..... open carry .... July 1 .... 100% of the state- legal now

This is a discussion on Kansas ..... open carry .... July 1 .... 100% of the state- legal now within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Kansas, about 5-6 yrs ago open carry law changed.... 1) legal for an cc license holder, 2) cities/counties could not prohibit it, but could ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Kansas ..... open carry .... July 1 .... 100% of the state- legal now

In Kansas, about 5-6 yrs ago open carry law changed.... 1) legal for an cc license holder, 2) cities/counties could not prohibit it, but could regulate the "manner" of carry (holster required, etc). BUT ..... many cities ended having lawsuits against them, because they refused to acknowledge the State Law and tried to argue they had "home rule rights" . So, they still "enforced" their law prohibiting open carry.

OK, enough was enough (98% was legal to open carry). The State made numerous GOOD changes this year... but one of them that became effective July 1 ...... was the State pre-empted everyone (cities, counties, etc) and flat stated... no city, county, etc. can create or have any ordinance related to firearms and knives, nor transportation, ammunition, gun parts and gun - related items. The State pre-empted their laws and clearly stated in the law, all city, county, etc. ordinances related to guns (now, the future, or enacted in the past) are NULL and VOID.

And OPEN CARRY is legal .... period, including in Public offices, buildings, etc. unless the appropriate security measures are in place.... metal detectors, armed guard, etc. Now, they can "post an AG approved no open carry sign" , but they can only be asked to leave and if they don't ... then be charged with trespassing, but it is not a crime to carry past a sign. Open carry.... being so visible, no doubt people would be told to leave.

AG is being asked for an opinion to be certain, but .... since City / County laws are null and void, then having a loaded gun in a vehicle ... is it legal ? Even the Legislature and sponsors of the bill say "YES", and it was intended that way. Some cities are whining (oh poor people) ..... but the State has NO Law against it. Obviously , there is no need for law saying it's legal, as long as there is no law saying it isn't.

Of course, the idiots are thinking the worse, blood in the streets, blah blah blah blah .... but 98% of the State it was already legal, and things like that never have occurred. Kansas City & Wichita.... esp the PD ... are the biggest one's against it.

Since it's legal for an 18 yr old to own a handgun, that includes 18 yr olds. 18 yr olds just cannot buy a handgun thru an FFL, etc. per Fedl Law... but they can be gifted one, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Congratulations to OK citizens on the long slog through the swamp. The sun does come up in the morning.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I will be glad when Texas finally gets this passed. For a "gun friendly" states we are behind the times somewhat. I personally just want the option. It wouldn't be an everyday thing but having a choice is always good in my opinion.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good for Kansas. I hope KS did like FL finally had to do--add threats of fines & punishment to the preemption laws. Until then, municipalities ignored it.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Congrats! Now if only Texas could get its act together. At least we can carry concealed and have some reciprocity.

Congratulations! Now we need to get to work with Texas.
    gatorbait51 and AZJD1968 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Now I don't have to worry about the wind blowing my shirt open and exposing my gun.
    Badey, gatorbait51 and oldman45 like this.

Kansas is quickly becoming one of the most gun friendly states in the union. The recently passed improvements in CC laws are impressive.

Nice,it's good to have choices.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick View Post
    I will be glad when Texas finally gets this passed. For a "gun friendly" states we are behind the times somewhat. I personally just want the option. It wouldn't be an everyday thing but having a choice is always good in my opinion.
    I too would like to have the ability to freely choose how I'm going to carry my firearms.

I hate having unconstitutional infringements placed on my rights to keep and bear Arms.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

That's great for Kansas! My home state too.

period, including in Public offices, buildings,
    Not to state the obvious (but I will anyway), but federal statutes still apply (Post Office, Federal Public Buildings, etc.) because the state cannot pre-empt the feds.
    gatorbait51, joker1 and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Congrats!

All of you complaining about gun laws need to move to Kentucky. We've got it made here.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Castle View Post
    Kansas is quickly becoming one of the most gun friendly states in the union. The recently passed improvements in CC laws are impressive.
    Mind explaining what improvements were made?
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I do wish TX would get OC and I expect them to do so but it will not be this year.

More and more states are having open carry laws enacted.

Personally I do not know any state with better guns laws than what we have here in Louisiana. We have been fortuante in having two very pro gun Governors in Murphy "Mike" Foster and Bobby Jindal.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    Mind explaining what improvements were made?
    Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act passed last year. As mentioned, open carry is now legal. State pre-emption in force. Eventually (up to 4 years to comply) opens most all state and municipal buildings to legal CC. State and City employees with CC permit will even be able to legally CC on the job in most cases. Can CC in schools if not posted, and can CC on school grounds. "No Gun" signs must be state approved, and even those signs do not carry force of law. Kansas also recognizes CC permits from all other states.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links