Am i in the wrong frame of mind here?

This is a discussion on Am i in the wrong frame of mind here? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So Target stores are under siege from Bloomberg groups because some gun owners out there think they need to openly carry long guns into the ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Am i in the wrong frame of mind here?

So Target stores are under siege from Bloomberg groups because some gun owners out there think they need to openly carry long guns into the aisles. Check out there FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/target

We are getting close to losing our rights at yet another store. Home Depot is next.

I personally think it is rediculous to carry AR 15's through a store, especially in the manner they are being carried. They are muzzle in the sky, slung over shoulders, not even in a very tactically sound position. I can't see what these folks are accomplishing other then giving us all bad names. If I saw someone walk in with an AR I might even be nervous. After all, a long gun is not a practical SD tool in typical situations like shopping. I would be on red alert because of the guy in Nevada who fired into the air at WM after killing two cops.

I have no problem with someone open carrying a pistol. A pistol is a practical tool for self defense while out and about. These guys, however, are ruining it for all of us. My questions is this. Am I missing something here? Should I be supporting this movement? What are the opinions of the people on this forum? Are they trying to accomplish something other then bothering people? I am open to having my mind changed. Thanks.

The issue is that OPEN CARRY of a LONG GUN in Texas is Legal (Handgun not yet). I think OCT(Open Carry Texas) is being much more prudent in how and where they do demonstrate. I could be wrong. I am am very much in favor of OC in Texas and other states. I will probably still CC.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

VIP Member
    Personally I see no problem with open carry/concealed carry of a handgun but the people open carrying long guns are in your face showoffs just trying to get their faces in the news.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    The only point these idiots are showing is the one on the top of their head.

Home Depot, Target, and Wal-Mart or any other business establishment is not the place to drag around an AR15 because you can.

Just because it's legal to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

From the photos I've seen so far these idiots don't even look like they're up to Mall Ninja standards.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    Meanwhile, the people getting kicked off Target's property are Moms Demand Action:

[Video] Moms Demand Action Kicked Off Target Property During Anti-Gun Protest

"Whether you personally support open carry or not, we should all agree that the agenda of Moms Demand Action is not good for gun owners in general and anytime they fail to change gun policies it’s a good thing."

I support open carry and would like to see us have that option in Texas for handguns. A right not exercised is a right that will whiter and die.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    The issue is that OPEN CARRY of a LONG GUN in Texas is Legal (Handgun not yet). I think OCT(Open Carry Texas) is being much more prudent in how and where they do demonstrate. I could be wrong. I am am very much in favor of OC in Texas and other states. I will probably still CC.
    Oh, ok. I see what they are doing in Texas then. Trying to make a point about not being able to open carry pistols when they can open carry a long gun. I don't understand why they are doing it in MN. We can open carry either way if we want. Hopefully Texas gets it figured out so we can stop making statements with long guns.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    The average american does not understand the point of the protest, consequently the point is not being made; and it also means that the idiots trying to pull it off are only alienating their potential support base.

I am all for OC and believe that every american should have the right to own and carry whatever they want. But, this type of stupidity is going to end up costing us rights because the undecided part of the population is not going to feel comfortable with it and businesses are going to make decisions necessary to promote their businesses. The moment that a majority of the population no longer shows up at Target because they are unwilling or uncomfortable being part of the protest, the businesses will put a stop to it and we will have de-facto limitations.

This is not helpful. Make the point another way.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Meanwhile, the people getting kicked off Target's property are Moms Demand Action:

[Video] Moms Demand Action Kicked Off Target Property During Anti-Gun Protest

"Whether you personally support open carry or not, we should all agree that the agenda of Moms Demand Action is not good for gun owners in general and anytime they fail to change gun policies it’s a good thing."

I support open carry and would like to see us have that option in Texas for handguns. A right not exercised is a right that will whiter and die.

Good site, thanks for that. Clears a bunch of my questions up for me. It is interesting the link at the bottom of the article whee Open Carry Texas has asked its members to stop carrying long guns into private businesses. Looks like they are recognizing that this action is hurting the cause.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    The Moms Demand is another group to put out false information. I don't think i would OC if it were legal in my state.I do think we should have the right to CC or OC..Maybe one day it will pass here..If i ran a business and OCing was legal,it wouldn't bother me none.That said,if some idiot came in with a AR,i would do what i could to make sure they don't do it again.

[QUOTE=CCIE33560;3320361]So Target stores are under siege from Bloomberg groups because some gun owners out there think they need to openly carry long guns into the aisles. Check out there FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/target

Your right. Carrying long guns in the store is ridiculous.
    gatorbait51 and CCIE33560 like this.

There are proper times and places to conceal carry a handgun. There are proper times and places to open carry a handgun. There are proper times and places to open carry a rifle or shotgun. Wisdom is knowing the proper times and places. A group of people carrying ARs & AKs while shopping at WalMart, Target, or Starbucks is not wise.

I have been in Eastern Oregon setting in a bar when a cowboy walked in with a six-gun on his hip and carrying a lever-action rifle. He leaned the rifle against the bar while he had a beer. No eyebrows were raised. Do that in Portland, Eugene , or Corvallis and the liberals would be fainting and calling 9-1-1.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

It is pretty obvious most? people here think the carrying of a long gun is not the brightest idea. But bear in mind, in Texas, it's the ONLY legal way to 'openly' demonstrate their fight for 2A rights.
    Right or wrong, without these type of actions, they could not get their message out and show their legislators how stupid the law on OC is, and eventually "a right not exercised" would slide in.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I fully support OC. But these yahoos who insist on carrying MSRs into stores and restaurants are causing even me to rethink my position. After the recent mall shootings in Maryland and Nevada, everyone is on high alert. Even if no harm is intended, the casual shopper is still going to be nervous or fearful and only reinforcing the position of the antis. My fear is this will tip the scales by the undecided in a direction contrary to the intended purpose of the open carry demonstrations. Unfortunately, not all pro-2A advocates think their actions through, and we may all become victims of the law of unintended consequences.
    gatorbait51 and CCIE33560 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I support OC, and I support responsible long gun OC in states where handgun OC is illegal, or at pro 2A rallies and the like. However, I do not support irresponsible actions by OCers (holding their long guns with no sling, single point sling with hands on the gun, being disrespectful to people while OCing).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    It is pretty obvious most? people here think the carrying of a long gun is not the brightest idea. But bear in mind, in Texas, it's the ONLY legal way to 'openly' demonstrate their fight for 2A rights.
    Right or wrong, without these type of actions, they could not get their message out and show their legislators how stupid the law on OC is, and eventually "a right not exercised" would slide in.

Sara Lou

I have no problem with them protesting or open carrying. Why not call the media and hold a protest in front of the local courthouse, state legislature, or federal court house. Get a permit and hold a protest in a park. Why give neutral businesses reasons to put up "No Guns" signs. The business chosen usually does not have a dog in the fight and both sides get alienated with the store's actions. The store's response never appeases either side so the store loses business.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links