Good experience in OC friendly North Carolina

This is a discussion on Good experience in OC friendly North Carolina within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; During a recent motorcycle trip from Florida to the Asheville, NC, area to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, we stopped at a roadside stand and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Good experience in OC friendly North Carolina

During a recent motorcycle trip from Florida to the Asheville, NC, area to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, we stopped at a roadside stand and got to talking with one of the operators. After a few minutes, I happened to notice he was OC'ing a .380-semi-auto and asked him how he liked North Carolina's no-permit required to OC law. He said it worked well for him and that while he also had a CC permit as well he preferred to OC.
    At no time did it feel awkward or threatening to be dealing with an "openly armed citizen." It also made me realize how quickly he could access his OC'd firearm versus me having to go through multiple layers of clothing to reach my CC'd Glock 30sf.
    Overall it was an eye-opening experience for someone from a CC-only state.
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a .45 caliber sword on the right hip can come in pretty handy sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
    During a recent motorcycle trip from Florida to the Asheville, NC, area to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, we stopped at a roadside stand and got to talking with one of the operators. After a few minutes, I happened to notice he was OC'ing a .380-semi-auto and asked him how he liked North Carolina's no-permit required to OC law. He said it worked well for him and that while he also had a CC permit as well he preferred to OC.
    At no time did it feel awkward or threatening to be dealing with an "openly armed citizen." It also made me realize how quickly he could access his OC'd firearm versus me having to go through multiple layers of clothing to reach my CC'd Glock 30sf.
    Yea, isn't Liberty a great thing? I too live in NC and OC on a regular basis in the summer even though I also have a CCP.

VIP Member
    I feel good when i can carry in a (free) state while traveling i feel as if i can protect my family . Although i have a permit in my home state i feel different here not sure if it is the political climate or if i have a bad exp. with a Leo . Nothing even close to Liberty here in Maryland .

Glad you had a nice time and Freedom is Great .
    Aceoky likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Can anyone OC in NC or do you have to be a resident of NC?

Quote Originally Posted by hillcitycarry View Post
    Can anyone OC in NC or do you have to be a resident of NC?
    Yes anyone who is 18yo or older, who can legally carry a handgun can in fact OC without a privilege card. But please, if you do, make note of the state laws where you cannot carry, there are some.

Good deal. I like to see people OCing, but I rarely see it around here.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Correction:

There is no OC law.

Carrying CONCEALED without a permit is illegal. The law does not mention open carry. Because your gun is not concealed it is legal.
    Orangeman likes this.
    § 20. Right to keep and bear arms.

Section 20. A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.

Did you hit the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley?

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

One thing to note - NC does not prohibit open carry, but they do not have legal wording explicitly allowing it either. There is wording that an OC individual can be charged with "Going to the terror of the public." This can leave someone in a lurch should law enforcement get a MWAG call and choose to be parsnickity.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDglassman View Post
    One thing to note - NC does not prohibit open carry, but they do not have legal wording explicitly allowing it either. This can leave someone in a lurch should law enforcement get a MWAG call and choose to be parsnickity.
    No LEO would ever get parsnickity with a law abiding citizen.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

One thing to note - NC does not prohibit open carry, but they do not have legal wording explicitly allowing it either. There is wording that an OC individual can be charged with "Going to the terror of the public." This can leave someone in a lurch should law enforcement get a MWAG call and choose to be parsnickity.
    Hasnt the NCSC ruled that charge can't be used against people lawfully OCing?

Distinguished Member
    I think it's fair to say that OC is not typical here in North Carolina. Not to the extent that you might see it in Arizona, though I've been spending a fair amount of time lately in AZ and haven't seen much of it there either. Not like 30 years ago. But it could be that I don't see my fair share of the living, walking demographics of the state of NC. That's a life choice, but I digress. I've spotted a couple guys in the past week or so but that's an unusually high count for that period of time. In this case, both were bikers. But I may go 2-3 months before I see another OC'er. So my point is, it still isn't that common.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Did you hit the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley?
    Unfortunately, no. We went right past it but at the time I didn't know what it was. Someone later told me it was well worth the time and admission fee because of the amazing motorcycle display in there.
    Hopefully, we can make it there at some point.
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a .45 caliber sword on the right hip can come in pretty handy sometime.

Unfortunately, no. We went right past it but at the time I didn't know what it was. Someone later told me it was well worth the time and admission fee because of the amazing motorcycle display in there.
    Hopefully, we can make it there at some point.
    Please do and hopefully you'll get Dale on a roll! He knows everything about each bike in his museum. Amazing memory of each part, where he got them and from who. He's the former owner of Dales HD in Mt. Vernon IL.

He and his son Matt are both class acts.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

That charge is an add on charge. They have to have certain things to apply for that charge to be valid. One of the most important things in the list is "intent" if you have no intent to cause a problem this charge is null and void. There are others on the list and ALL of them have to be in place for that charge to stick . this bogus charge is what everyone mentions when asked why they don't OC, and to me its kind of sad because most people don't know the law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links