Targets reaction to the OC demonstration

This is a discussion on Targets reaction to the OC demonstration within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Target announced Wednesday they will no longer allow customers to carry guns in their stores. Target said starting Wednesday they are asking customers not to ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree502Likes

Thread: Targets reaction to the OC demonstration

Target announced Wednesday they will no longer allow customers to carry guns in their stores.
    Target said starting Wednesday they are asking customers not to bring firearms into any of their stores
    Hmmm Wonder where the next OC demonstration is going to be. I heard CVS is a nice store. /sarcasm.

Mike

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Until they put up a 30.06 sign up I'll have a gun on my hip or in my pocket. And if they do I'll just shop at old navy more.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Doesn't mean much here in the AZ - I'll still carry as per normal in any target store my wife drags me into.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I'm all for open carry but those folks toting their long guns in stores aren't helping our cause any. To me it's similar to the PETA signs/billboards you see. Get some perspective people.

It's like deja vu all over again.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    If i had the legal right to carry i would..That said,i wouldn't act like an idiot an OC a rifle.

These folks keep stuffing their long guns in people's noses and soon there won't be anyplace to shop. No sane store owner wants to be the focus of a political battle, they just want to do business. OC or not, these "in your face" folks are tee'ing off the public and decent business's cannot afford it.

I've carried visibly in dozens of different shops and venues, many times with many others who were also carrying visibly. None of which ever altered policy nationally because of it.

Could it be that reasonable behavior has a greater likelihood of being taken reasonably?

I'm all for carrying sidearms, even long arms. What I'm not for is doing so en masse to politicize and demonstrate positions at private businesses, where politicizing has no real upside. IMO, that sort of stuff is best done at spots where politicizing can be taken for what it's worth, not used against us in ways having nothing to do with an armed citizenry.

Got a hankerin' for a sub sandwich, or a toaster? Head to your favorite shop and knock yourself out. Got a meet-up with a few friends who also carry? Great! Order the coffee and salads, and have a great time. But safe the unholstering, unslinging, fingering and fondling of arms for the range, where it belongs. But, if you've got a political point to make, and you're planning on bringing out the big iron for effect, then by golly head to a spot where the message is going to have maximal positive effect, such as the capitol grounds or city hall.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So all the other stores that "banned" guns because of them weren't enough, they HAD to go and piss yet another store off. I get it, you wanna open carry a firearm and increase awareness. Obviously I am on these forums, love guns, and carry them every day, but my God I don't walk around with my AR-15. It's not a smart way to get a point across. When you're dealing with people who are trained to be scared to death of firearms, strapping up your AR's and AK's is not the right way to bring awareness. Now because of these nit-wits, Target does not want me carrying there anymore. Thank you for ruining it for ME and EVERYONE ELSE who respectfully carries. These people, I think, will be the reason for more legislation.

These people are to the gun community as PETA is to the animal community, brash and IMO out of control.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urge View Post
    So all the other stores that "banned" guns because of them weren't enough, they HAD to go and piss yet another store off. I get it, you wanna open carry a firearm and increase awareness. Obviously I am on these forums, love guns, and carry them every day, but my God I don't walk around with my AR-15. It's not a smart way to get a point across. When you're dealing with people who are trained to be scared to death of firearms, strapping up your AR's and AK's is not the right way to bring awareness. Now because of these nit-wits, Target does not want me carrying there anymore. Thank you for ruining it for ME and EVERYONE ELSE who respectfully carries. These people, I think, will be the reason for me legislation.

These people are to the gun community as PETA is to the animal community, brash and IMO out of control.
    Well said. It's like the mall in my town. Some jack a.(you can figure what I can't say) decided to carry his AR in the mall. Cops are called and the guy is arrested for disorderly conduct. In TX it's legal to carry it. Now the mall says we've always been against guns and they put up 30.06 signs up. The movie theater on their property had a 30.06 sign up as well. I had to go to the other side of town to watch a movie and they don't even like guns but don't have a 30.06 sign. I'm all for OC of a gun but come on. Just cuz you can't carry a pistol you "need" to carry a rifle in protest of a state law?Just shut up and sit down and stop ruining the ability for other cust. from carrying and being able to protect themselves in various stores. Most people aren't against guns but they don't want them shoved down their throats. I wouldn't want to be in the middle of an OC TX rally. Most of them aren't safe with their guns on their backs anyway. They pose a huge risk IMO.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    Most people aren't against guns but they don't want them shoved down their throats.
    Visible carry is shoving something down people's throats?

Visibly carrying something bigger is, but smaller isn't?

Two things need to change. People need to get a grip. And people need to uniformly act reasonable even while carrying. So long as they're not unholstering, unslinging, fondling and fingering their hardware, there shouldn't be any legitimacy to any claim of threat or terror or disturbance not befitting simply walking by. No matter how fearful some get over things seen, despite there being no plausible threat.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 2nd, 2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: grammar

So I'm haven't decided which side the "OC Movement" is on yet.

Either:

1: They are passionate about 2A and they are exercising that right publically and loudly to make a point. If this is true then in my opinion they are very misguided and actually doing more harm than good as evidenced by the extreme anti-RKBA reactions they are causing.

Or

2: They are actually anti-2A doing everything they can to make the rest of the law abiding 2A folks look bad by going above and beyond extremes. Let's face it, the best way to discredit a group is from within...

Either way, they are not helping to support The Constitution.

Max
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    So I'm haven't decided which side the "OC Movement" is on yet.

Either:

1: They are passionate about 2A and they are exercising that right publically and loudly to make a point. If this is true then in my opinion they are very misguided and actually doing more harm than good as evidenced by the extreme anti-RKBA reactions they are causing.

Or

2: They are actually anti-2A doing everything they can to make the rest of the law abiding 2A folks look bad by going above and beyond extremes. Let's face it, the best way to discredit a group is from within...

Either way, they are not helping to support The Constitution.
    I'm betting it's far simpler. IMO, they're simply politically naive. Cure that, and the problem disappears, as they'll make much wiser choices in how they protest the lunacy of "gun" control.

We need to get off this "Legitimacy, legality, etc." thinking. It's the general public that is complaining to the stores. The stores don't initiate this junk, they are just trying to stay in business. You can rant all day long about how "legal" it is to OC, but you won't change the thinking of the general public. Get this straight, the general public doesn't like seeing weapons displayed. They didn't like it in 1880 and they don't like it now. These are not necessarily anti-gun people, they just don't like to see deadly weapons displayed casually. You may mock the general public for what they desire, but you MUST live among them and this OC frenzy is making life difficult for all of us who carry.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links