Open Carry in National Forest?

This is a discussion on Open Carry in National Forest? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not been able to find any information on this so I will ask some of you. As long as you are in an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Open Carry in National Forest?

I have not been able to find any information on this so I will ask some of you.

As long as you are in an open carry state, is it legal to open carry in a National Forest while hiking? I know I can conceal carry, but it will be easier and have faster access if I open carry while I go to Bankhead National Forest in Alabama.
    ArmyCop likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Here ya go, from the horses mouth at,, http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5066182.pdf

Apparently CC is OK, but OC, maybe. I suppose since they follow state law it is possible, but I would ask the enforcement officer in your district's office.
    Aceoky, Ianthin, OD* and 1 others like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member
    National Parks must follow state laws wherin they are located. That doesn't stop some "activist" rangers from overstepping the law and trying to enforce their liberal bias upon the public. Be prepared with a copy of the state laws.
    oldman45, oneshot and BWM243 like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

It depends on the laws in your state. If OC is legal in your state, then my understanding is that you are good to go. I have OCed in a national park in my home state (while hiking), and had no problems.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Yes.
    HKR likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

As I can remember, it is alright to open carry in national parks. However the national forest is federal forest (land) within a state and must abide by the state laws. I'll always prefer to concealed carry when possible but that is my choice for which I have my personal reasons. We own property 100% backed by the national Huron forest in Michigan, I have always open carried my pistols and long guns. However if I'm on a trail that will have traffic, i will go back to concealed carry.

I don't know if this will help or not
    NONAME762 likes this.

National Forest always go with the state laws that they are in. I wouldn't want to give up my advantage by going open carry. Being concealed is to your benefit. The guy carrying a gun in the open will be the one the bad guy shoots first.

Bear in mind that National PARKS are not the same as National Forests. National Parks are governed by the National Park Service, which is an arm of the Dept. of the Interior.
    National FORESTS fall under the Dept. of Agriculture.

For the purposes of this discussion, the good news is that a few years ago the NPS relaxed the rules about firearms in National Parks. As had been the case with National Forests, visitors to National Parks may now carry firearms in accordance with the laws of the state in which the Park is located. Note that ranger stations are Federal buildings and you can't carry firearms inside them.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I don't think you are allowed to bring guns into state parks in Alabama so how does translate to National Parks/Forests? Is a park a park?

State parks is a lot different than forest land and BLM is yet another, the best thing to do for forest land is call the office get the name of who you are talking to and get the facts because some USDA camp grounds you can not carry as well as some trail heads so make sure which place you will be going to and make sure you do not cross into Indian land because that is another animal.
    BWM243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    National Parks must follow state laws wherin they are located. That doesn't stop some "activist" rangers from overstepping the law and trying to enforce their liberal bias upon the public. Be prepared with a copy of the state laws.
    Before I saw what FarSideFan had to say I was going to say AFAIK go with it. There is a National Forest near my AO. Wherever I go I am armed. Take that as you will.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post
    As I can remember, it is alright to open carry in national parks. However the national forest is federal forest (land) within a state and must abide by the state laws. I'll always prefer to concealed carry when possible but that is my choice for which I have my personal reasons. We own property 100% backed by the national Huron forest in Michigan, I have always open carried my pistols and long guns. However if I'm on a trail that will have traffic, i will go back to concealed carry.

I don't know if this will help or not
    Two words.

Stealth.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    I don't think you are allowed to bring guns into state parks in Alabama so how does translate to National Parks/Forests? Is a park a park?
    No, State Parks are different possibly. You need to check your state laws.
    Techer40 and OD* like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

MY understanding in Natl Parks is that yes, they follow State law. So if state law allows OC it's OK. However in a state like AZ which allows permit free (constitutional) concealed carry, you can NOT carry in Natl Parks (i.e. the Grand Canyon) without also holding a State CCW permit. In states that do require a CCW anyway the point is moot.

This is my understanding, YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I live next to a National Forest (Land Between the Lakes) in Western Kentucky and Tennessee. Firearms are NOT permitted except during hunting season and the hunter MUST have a NFS issued hunting permit.

The fine is rather heavy and your firearm WILL be confiscated !!!

The only exception is you may have a firearm in your vehicle while traveling thru the National Forest on Highway 68/80 or the North/South road (forgot the number). If you have to stop leave the firearm in your vehicle-LOCKED !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links