Mayor of KC looks to ban open carry

This is a discussion on Mayor of KC looks to ban open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With Governor Nixon's veto of statewide open carry last week, we are back to a hodge-podge of local ordinance for the time being. Kansas City ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Mayor of KC looks to ban open carry

With Governor Nixon's veto of statewide open carry last week, we are back to a hodge-podge of local ordinance for the time being. Kansas City currently allows OC, but Mayor Sly James is looking to change that with an ordinance introduced last week.

VIP Member
    I hate to see anyone going forward with a freedom hating plan, but I can't say this is Kansas City's biggest problem. My dad lived in Independence when I was growing up and I became a Royals fan. I try to make it to KC a few times a summer to see a few games but over the last few years I've found myself enjoying the city less and less each year.
    Aceoky, LtBlue425 and emawildcat like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Another politician that believes the hiding something is equal to it not being there.
    As in, "Out of sight, out of mind".

Does the mayor also believe "Ordinary citizens have no need for any means of self-defense, at any time"?
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    There is no possession limit on Opinions. Take as many as you want!

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    I thought i read in another thread that Missouri has preemption .The good mayor plans to break a law to write a law?
    Aceoky likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by emawildcat View Post
    With Governor Nixon's veto of statewide open carry last week, we are back to a hodge-podge of local ordinance for the time being. Kansas City currently allows OC, but Mayor Sly James is looking to change that with an ordinance introduced last week.

We still have a good shot of getting this veto overridden in Sept.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    I thought i read in another thread that Kansas has preemption .The good mayor plans to break a law to write a law?
    Kansas City, Missouri.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Kansas City, Missouri.
    Thank you ,I read the link and I understand now that the preemption in Missouri is conditional.

He should work on banning open crime.

The way I read that ordnance it appears to ban carry all-together.
    Section 50-261(a) states that:
    A person commits the ordinance violation of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
    (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or
    (6) Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use.

Personally I'd be organizing to fight this, given the way it is written.
    tns0038, Aceoky, CIBMike and 1 others like this.

I knew escaping Californians were infesting Colorado. Had no idea they were burrowing into Missouri as well.
    Aceoky likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    With a name like Sly, nothing he wants to do would surprise me.
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I knew escaping Californians were infesting Colorado. Had no idea they were burrowing into Missouri as well.
    A little more than 10 years ago we had no concealed carry, needed permits to purchase hand guns, could not own a suppressor, and had no castle doctrine. All of this has been remedied. Over all things have improved dramatically here. We passed our CCW law over a governors veto. I think we have a good chance of getting the state wide open carry provision passed over Jay Nixons veto as well. This will nullify anything KC or any other municipality has or will pass regarding open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    I thought i read in another thread that Missouri has preemption .The good mayor plans to break a law to write a law?
    When did something like that even slow down a politician? Hasn't slowed down Zero from Kenya.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    The way I read that ordnance it appears to ban carry all-together.
    Section 50-261(a) states that:
    A person commits the ordinance violation of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
    (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or
    (6) Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use.

Personally I'd be organizing to fight this, given the way it is written.
    Yes looks like he is trying to slip in a full on carry ban .I wonder how many legal carriers this will criminalize in the Kansas city limits.

Distinguished Member
    Good luck "craze" on passing the open carry legislation. Hope it goes in your favor and the good folks of Missouri can override the communistic governor's veto.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links