Driving to Open Carry Country!

This is a discussion on Driving to Open Carry Country! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Living in Illinois, and especially near Chicago, makes driving to Wisconsin or Indiana feel like crossing a border to a better and more free country. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Driving to Open Carry Country!

Living in Illinois, and especially near Chicago, makes driving to Wisconsin or Indiana feel like crossing a border to a better and more free country. So I'm very excited to drive out to Open Carry country of South Dakota and Wyoming!

Any words of caution for an open carry newbie in those locations?

And yes, I have been busy reviewing state laws to ensure that I am fully compliant with the law. I mostly wanted to make sure that I follow the general etiquette.
    DJC7 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Or you could just go South to Ky. No one here pays much attention to open carry. We try to mind our own business-a lot fewer problems that way.
    Ghost1958 and ghost tracker like this.

You'll probably find that most people don't oc and you'll be the odd one out anyway. I might have to try it when I'm in NC one time but I think t will draw too much attention. I'm not one for flashy stuff or flashing stuff...

Your doing right though by checking laws first. My instructor made sure to explain that it's your responsibility to know the laws where your going and Leo's don't want to here " I didn't know" as an excuse. Good way to loose your permit.
    Ruger LC9 - Hornaday Critical Defense

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms,and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…” -Richard Henry Lee

Enjoy OCing, let us know how it goes.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Come to Ohio! We are an open carry state as well. I open carry regurlarly with no hassles or problems. Now and then a head turns but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregivq View Post
    Living in Illinois, and especially near Chicago, makes driving to Wisconsin or Indiana feel like crossing a border to a better and more free country. So I'm very excited to drive out to Open Carry country of South Dakota and Wyoming!

Any words of caution for an open carry newbie in those locations?

And yes, I have been busy reviewing state laws to ensure that I am fully compliant with the law. I mostly wanted to make sure that I follow the general etiquette.
    Um, just plop a sign in the front yard and take all of your crap and stay where you like it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

If you take the route I think you might be taking, watch yourself going through Sioux Falls I hear things can get a little shady over there. And stop in at the Blue Stem in Luverne for lunch, they have great food.

What do you mean shady in Sioux Falls? Not my first time there so I'm genuinely curious.

And what's with this whole thing about no OC when driving?

I'm not exactly sure what shady means either, my girlfriend works for the county and knows about the darker side of certain towns and Sioux Falls is one of them. The only reason I said that is because she dislikes me carrying but everytime we go there her first question is "do you have your gun?" usually followed with "is it the one with the bigger bullets?" I'll ask her when she gets home for more detail about whats shady because shady just came from her definition.

And no OC while driving in which state? I'm in MN and SD honors an MN permit so no worries there but I do believe you can OC in SD without a permit but in a car it has to be cased and unloaded from what I understood. someone correct me if I'm wrong. In MN you need a permit regardless.

I don't open carry in my state..............................I don't feel like being face down on the concrete. Wisconsin isn't as " free" as you'd think........................

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I don't open carry in my state..............................I don't feel like being face down on the concrete. Wisconsin isn't as " free" as you'd think........................
    I'd definitely read their law over and over again before considering Wisconsin OC, especially with Chicago Bears t-shirt.

I open carry often here in Alabama, and have done for the past year.
    I have never experienced a negative response 'yet' to my OC anywhere i've been, had a lot of positive reaction tho'. And, up until last saturday, i'd never seen a "no guns" sign in my immediate area.
    Unfortunately that was broken by Popeye's (tho' this store wasn't in my 'home' area), I did email corporate office, but they chose to ignore my request for clarification, as to why they felt stopping law abiding citizens having the ability to protect themselves, made them feel safer.

Sara Lou
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

Wyon is way weird with OC.... Last time I was there only way to carry in a resurant ( even a bar ) was to OC .. As I rember or have it in a fanny pack etc ....
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

TRX
    Make sure you're allowed to OC as a nonresident.

Oklahoma, for example, reserves the right to open carry to Oklahoma residents, though they have recipricocity with some other states for concealed carry.

Governor Mary Fallin - OpenCarryFAQ

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Or you could just go south to KENTUCKY. No one here pays much attention to open carry. We try to mind our own business-a lot fewer problems that way.
    OC is legal here in Washington state too yet there are quite a few areas where a few folks have made a buck or 2 off the taxpayers when MWAG calls were made on them as they were OCing somewhere where IT IS LEGAL.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links