deterrence question

deterrence question

This is a discussion on deterrence question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; first post here, Hi nice to meet everyone. Im moving to a state where open carry is lawful, but you may be arrested for "breach ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: deterrence question

deterrence question

first post here, Hi nice to meet everyone. Im moving to a state where open carry is lawful, but you may be arrested for "breach of peace" which is another topic. My question for you is if you for whatever reason found yourself carrying concealed do you think wearing a T shirt implying you are carrying is a good deterent? I look forward to learning alot here thanks!!
    Gun_guy and BenGoodLuck like this.

Welcome to the forum.

No, if I'm carrying concealed, unless I'm at the range, I don't wear anything that implies I'm carrying. IMO the best deterrent is situational awareness. If you don't look like an easy target, likely you won't be chosen as one.

Distinguished Member
    Hello and welcome aboard, I'm with Norm on this one, concealed means concealed and wearing something telling everyone your carrying defeats the purpose. Heck with the way some of the states are acting if someone saw the shirt and phoned the police you'd probably still get arrested.
    Navydude and Bad Bob like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Yeah dont advertise your carrying that would be a very very bad idea ....

Keep it covered
    Navydude and ShooterGranny like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by 9mill View Post
    first post here, Hi nice to meet everyone. Im moving to a state where open carry is lawful, but you may be arrested for "breach of peace" which is another topic. My question for you is if you for whatever reason found yourself carrying concealed do you think wearing a T shirt implying you are carrying is a good deterent? I look forward to learning alot here thanks!!
    My opinion is wearing a tee shirt, bumper stickers, door signs is detrimental to your primary mission to be left alone and stay alive. Contrary to popular belief, criminals for the most part are not cowards, lazy, or stupid. Some are actually quite professional. If a criminal for what ever reason wants something you have... they will try and take it. While some criminals are spontanious, even they devote some planning to their act. You wearing a shirt indicating that your armed will more likely serve as intelligence to the criminal and he can take that fact into consideration when making his plans. He may decide that possibly being shot dont make it worth it. Or IMO he's more likely to strike from a mo-better ambush, and incapacitate the victim without a threat first.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm66 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

If you don't look like an easy target, likely you won't be chosen as one.
    what if you are an easy victim, would a stealy glare from an elderly feeble man deter an assailant?
    Bigmac31391 likes this.

Welcome from PA!

I would probably pick one method of carry or the other.

Are you sure about the law? It sounds a bit shady. Some LEOs here in PA think they can arrest you for brandishing, but we have no brandishing laws here.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

How does wearing a t-shirt imply you are carrying? I've worn t-shirts (undershirts) my entire adult life, most of which was before I started carrying. Do you think everyone who wears a t-shirt is CC? I'm not getting the connection between the two.

Welcome to the forum.

Edit: I also CC IWB wearing a button up shirt without wearing a t-shirt.
    tcox4freedom and Navydude like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    How does wearing a t-shirt imply you are carrying? I've worn t-shirts (undershirts) my entire adult life, most of which was before I started carrying. Do you think everyone who wears a t-shirt is CC? I'm not getting the connection between the two.

Welcome to the forum.

Edit: I also CC IWB wearing a button up shirt without wearing a t-shirt.
    you can have a shirt that might say something like Smith & Wesson don't leave home without it

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Welcome from PA!

I would probably pick one method of carry or the other.

Are you sure about the law? It sounds a bit shady. Some LEOs here in PA think they can arrest you for brandishing, but we have no brandishing laws here.
    well shady is a very nice way to put it, from what I have read, yes they make the arrest.

you can have a shirt that might say something like Smith & Wesson don't leave home without it
    Ah, check. If I am CC, I do not want to advertise it. For the same reason I don't wear tactical gear or clothing. If I am ever in a situation where a BG is trying to decide who in the area is armed, I don't want to look like a mall ninja. Likewise I don't wear my NRA ball cap or any other visible signs I might be carrying.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

what if you are an easy victum, would a stealy glare from an elderly feeble man deter an assailant?
    Works for me....

VIP Member
    I am on the stay off the radar plan, no advertisement, no shirts, no signs, no bumper stickers, always carry never tell.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    My opinion is wearing a tee shirt, bumper stickers, door signs is detrimental to your primary mission to be left alone and stay alive. Contrary to popular belief, criminals for the most part are not cowards, lazy, or stupid. Some are actually quite professional. If a criminal for what ever reason wants something you have... they will try and take it. While some criminals are spontanious, even they devote some planning to their act. You wearing a shirt indicating that your armed will more likely serve as intelligence to the criminal and he can take that fact into consideration when making his plans. He may decide that possibly being shot dont make it worth it. Or IMO he's more likely to strike from a mo-better ambush, and incapacitate the victim without a threat first.
    I appreciate your post, I still don't understand how NO deterrent will enhance my primary mission of being left alone.

what if you are an easy victum, would a stealy glare from an elderly feeble man deter an assailant?
    Just letting them know you're watching can often be a deterrent. But if not, that's what the gun is for. Still best not to advertise. If it's deterrent you're after so badly that you want to advertise your CCW, why not just open carry?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links