Assisted Opening Knives in Florida?

This is a discussion on Assisted Opening Knives in Florida? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently ordered two new knives. an AO folding karambit, and just a normal AO knife. On just my normal AO knife, the blade is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Assisted Opening Knives in Florida?

I recently ordered two new knives. an AO folding karambit, and just a normal AO knife. On just my normal AO knife, the blade is 3.5 inches so I know the blade is a legal size. But I'm not sure if AO knives are legal to carry around in Florida? If they are, I would think they are only legal as an open carry knife, rather than a concealed carry. So I just need to know if normal AO knives are legal to carry(both kind of carry legalities preferred) in Florida(I live in Jacksonville, I know some cities have different things about it than other cities do). Any help would be much appreciated.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida's knife laws are vague, to say the least. The only thing it states as legal is a "common pocketknife." Contact a criminal lawyer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Since you're a minor (re: your thread of yesterday), the answer is likely more "convoluted". Best check with a local lawyer because, in court, our guesses are unlikely to be considered ...expert opinions. IMHO, Don't do something now that could compromise your eventual CCW.
    Aceoky likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I went to the Pinellas county sheriff's office and asked and they said if it's assisted, tactical in anyway regardless of the blade size it's not legal. Mine was less than 4 inches and is a tac-force. It's not legal. Except for me because I have a cwhl. And even then it varies county to county. Don't carry anything other than a plain old folder or your asking for it.
    Aceoky likes this.

Alright, I just want to be safe and not get in any unnecessary trouble. Thanks.
    Gun_guy likes this.

VIP Member
    Both of your threads are essentially asking the same questions...

Folding Karambit and Balisong(butterfly knife) concealed carry laws in Florida.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I noticed that as well. Figured I'd give a newbie a little slack. He could grow-up to be Jeff Cooper!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

No, not necessarily. My first thread was asking about my new karambit and if that itself was legal to carry. An AO Karambit is different from a normal AO knife. In here I was just primarily asking about my normal AO knife.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Brooks View Post
    No, not necessarily. My first thread was asking about my new karambit and if that itself was legal to carry. An AO Karambit is different from a normal AO knife. In here I was just primarily asking about my normal AO knife.
    Actually, both of your threads are about knife laws in Florida.

Have you discussed any of your legal questions with a qualified Florida attorney yet or are you just interested in getting opinions on legal matters from strangers on an internet forum?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

...or upping your "Started Thread" count? There's no bonus points for redundancy. Welcome and resist being thin-skinned, this place eats its own dead.

VIP Member
    Check this out too.....................

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Well yes both of my first two threads have been about Florida knife laws. For the past two days i've been looking at knives and looking up knife laws and such in Florida. Some questions are left unanswered when I research the knife laws, so I ask them on here where I can at least get some help from strangers, and I guess I'm also getting a bit idiocy on my posts, as well.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That happens. But as you've found out, the statues on FL knife carry are very vague. That's why you need to consult a lawyer versed on criminal law and concealed knives at best.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Brooks View Post
    Well yes both of my first two threads have been about Florida knife laws. For the past two days i've been looking at knives and looking up knife laws and such in Florida. Some questions are left unanswered when I research the knife laws, so I ask them on here where I can at least get some help from strangers, and I guess I'm also getting a bit idiocy on my posts, as well.
    This is the best moderated and most courteous forum I've ever had the honour of being a member of.

The mods don't put up with any crap and the trouble makers don't last very long.

Stick with it and us Nick. Our forum needs new blood and the newbs often ask questions that have been asked before.

Remember too, that the search function at the top right is your friend.
    Aceoky likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member
    Most of my knife collection is AO knives and I even carry a fully automatic opener. I lived in 6 States and had LEO friends in each as my work puts me in contact with local and Federal LE agencies. From what I could gather, it is mostly what the LEO decides if it is a close call. If you are a business man coming home from work, they are not worried about you. If you are some punk who has been in trouble with the law before, there is no mercy. One friend told me that the knife law was anything he wanted it to be. :)

I rarely carry defensive knifes since getting my CCW License. Less chance of trouble carrying a gun. It seems kind of stupid that you can get arrested for carrying a 6" knife but not for concealing an AR15. Go figure.
    If everyone had the same opinion, there would be no reason to give one. It is a given that each opinion is believed to be correct. It would be silly to post something you believed to be incorrect. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links