Will Pushing OC Hurt CC.

Will Pushing OC Hurt CC.

This is a discussion on Will Pushing OC Hurt CC. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please donít flame me for what Iím about to say. Iím still forming an opinion on this. Iíve been carrying concealed for a year now ...

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree587Likes

Thread: Will Pushing OC Hurt CC.

Will Pushing OC Hurt CC.

Please donít flame me for what Iím about to say. Iím still forming an opinion on this. Iíve been carrying concealed for a year now and love being able to do so just about everywhere I go on a regular basis. In my opinion Kansas is more "Guns Everywhere" than Georgia, even though their recent law change got the label from the MSM. However Iím really starting to wonder about the negative consequences that can result from people open carrying. Just last month Kansas removed preemption so we no longer have to worry about local municipalities prohibiting open carry. I have yet to see a citizen open carrying here and personally wouldnít be bothered if I did. However, I can certainly understand that a lot of people get nervous when they see an average Joe walking around with a sidearm on their hip (and even more so if heís toting a rifle.)*

What really worries me is that Iíve now seen multiple ďLetters to the EditorĒ entries where people have claimed to have (or have promised to) immediately leave a place of business if they see someone walk in with a firearm. Very few businesses in the KC metro area post gun buster signs. I really appreciate that but I worry that if more people open carry and this tactic takes root, I can foresee gun buster signs popping up all over the place. If it were your business and you see people consistently leaving whenever someone walks in with a firearm visible, wouldnít you? Keep in mind gun buster signs are not specific to open or concealed carry. Once the sign goes up both sides are hosed.

Is it possible that by trying to push open carry, we end up losing rather than gaining?*
    Grantspastor likes this.

Some open carry folks get pretty charged up over this subject.
    NRA Golden Eagles Benefactor Life CRSO Pistol Instructor RSOi CPi PPITHi PPOTHi RTBAV
    Glock Armorer 19cutaway 20 20SF 21cutaway 21C 22C 23C 27 32 22LR 460
    Nebraska Concealed Carry Instructor, 32 years CC Experience, Retired FFL Dealer

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Historically it depends on where one lives. California it did, but in every other state that legally has CC theres no real evidence or cases that suggests OC'ing has hurt CC at least I can't think of one. Personally I think it has helped more than it hurts.
    sensei2, mikesMP9c and Aceoky like this.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I've been OCing and CCing since 1970 with no problems at all.

It seem like this topic comes up at least once a month here so some members can jump on members that OC sometimes. OCing is NO BIG DEAL folks.

Also, the search engine here on this forum is your friend. Learn to use it....

Do these customers look upset to you?

Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

VIP Member
    A lot of it comes down to behavior.

Your views will often be received with the measure of open-mindedness commensurate with the acceptability of your behavior.

If someone asks you to leave his or her establishment because you are openly carrying, there are a number of ways to respond.

You can smile, and simply say "Well I respect your property rights, its your store. I hope that you will change your mind one day about carrying, and that I can be your customer. Until then, I wish you the best, and have a good day."

Or you can scowl and say "Yeah, okay, Mr. Brownshirt! I won't wait around for you to call the Gestapo while you wipe your butt with the Constitution! JERK!!"

Which group of people would you be willing to give a second look?
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I think it depends. Florida is one of the few instances where I believe the answer is yes. Many believe that tourism including many internationals make us more sensitive to the sight of a gun. In my opinion, if/when we legalize open carry I believe it will come with a clause that allows businesses to post no gun zones. No such law exists currently so in my opinion it will be a step back for CC since the signs more likely will not differentiate between open and concealed carry.

Despite this fact I am still an ardent supporter of the government no longer restricting our God given right.
    Secret Spuk, Chasejax and Bad Bob like this.

I think they can try the tactic, but there aren't enough of them for it to work. Regardless, I don't see it as a reason for anyone to stop OC'ing. If the business of the antis is more important to the owner than the business of the gun folks, fine. This is a time for choosing sides, not for our side to hide in a closet.

That said, I still maintain that OC'ing a rifle is a bad idea, only because I think it's substantially less effective for actual self-defense than a handgun.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I've been OCing and CCing since 1970 with no problems at all.

It seem like this topic comes up at least once a month here so some members can jump on members that OC sometimes. OCing is NO BIG DEAL folks.

Also, the search engine here on this forum is your friend. Learn to use it....

Do these customers look upset to you?

Yeah, but Brother, you are a WEST KENTUCKIAN. Where, if you forget to carry a gun, we'll...LOAN ya' one out of pity!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I havent looked it up but to just my general knowledge there are alot of states which require nothing to OC. No permit no test no fee, nothing but you and a gun. Quite a few have it in their states constitution but require a permit to CC.

I know of very very few states that do not require a permit to CC.

ANYTIME you must take a course pass a test or pay a fee to do something that something you are doing IS NOT A RIGHT. CC permits have nothing to do with the RTKAB. They are an infringement of it.

OC which in a lot of states requires nothing at all IS right down the line of the 2A and RTKAB.

Which begs the question. Why do so many think of permitted CC with a states permission and of course fee to do so, fool themselves into thinking that somehow they are keeping their RIGHT to keep and bear a firearm?? So what RIGHT are you afraid of losing. If you dont have legal no permit required carry in your state be it CC or OC you already lost your RTKAB. Might want to start trying to get it back.

I have a KY CCDW but I dont have to have diddly to OC here or in many other states. That form of OC or CC if it exists anywhere is as close to your RIGHT to be armed as we are right now.

Repeat this until its learned. Permitted carry of any kind is simply permission granted by a state to carry. Not the RIGHT to keep and bear that we all are born with.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I havent looked it up but to just my general knowledge there are alot of states which require nothing to OC. No permit no test no fee, nothing but you and a gun. Quite a few have it in their states constitution but require a permit to CC.

I know of very very few states that do not require a permit to CC.

ANYTIME you must take a course pass a test or pay a fee to do something that something you are doing IS NOT A RIGHT. CC permits have nothing to do with the RTKAB. They are an infringement of it.

OC which in a lot of states requires nothing at all IS right down the line of the 2A and RTKAB.

Which begs the question. Why do so many think of permitted CC with a states permission and of course fee to do so, fool themselves into thinking that somehow they are keeping their RIGHT to keep and bear a firearm?? So what RIGHT are you afraid of losing. If you dont have legal no permit required carry in your state be it CC or OC you already lost your RTKAB. Might want to start trying to get it back.

I have a KY CCDW but I dont have to have diddly to OC here or in many other states. That form of OC or CC if it exists anywhere is as close to your RIGHT to be armed as we are right now.

Repeat this until its learned. Permitted carry of any kind is simply permission granted by a state to carry. Not the RIGHT to keep and bear that we all are born with.
    I also have a Kentucky CCDW License but OC is much more comfortable than IWB is.
    Ghost1958, Secret Spuk and Aceoky like this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    VA is OC state no permit required, age to open carry is 18.
    BurgerBoy and Ghost1958 like this.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Now - what caliber is best - and do you carry with one in the chamber - and will Kydex Holsters scratch your gun. Does this sound familiar folks?

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I also have a Kentucky CCDW License but OC is much more comfortable than IWB is.
    With the RIGHT IWB holster and a quality, dedicated gun belt, I can hardly notice a difference.
    BurgerBoy and Bad Bob like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

To be totally candid if and this is one of those if a frog had wings deals, but if either CC or OC woldnt care which, were legal, nationwide, across the board, no fees permits or regulations.

Just yep you can carry a sidearm CC any state anyplace. Or OC any state anytime anyplace. As the 2A requres Id be perfectly happy either way.

Im betting though there are a lot of carriers that if they cant hide their gun even if nationwide OC were legal with nothing at all and no regs across the board, would oppose that or not carry for fear of ............ something. Never figured that one out.
    BurgerBoy and Stoveman like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

In fact, Kentucky folks have been carrying guns since the 1700s:

KYHomelandSecurity.jpg
    Aceoky, ugh762x39 and Ghost1958 like this.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Links